Model Converter for FS2004/FSX to P3D

Discussion related to terrain/scenery design.
wigerup

Post by wigerup »

Is it possible to convert models/scenery airports from Fs2004/FSX to P3D with Model Converter???

Regards

Bjorn :?
Saul

Post by Saul »

As far as I know Aircraft that use FS2004 Gauges are not supported and will not work. FSX files are compatible without the need for conversion.

The Model converter that is being sold for P3D is for OpenFlight models. these are very high detail models and expensive to buy. they can be converted and used for scenery with the tool. I have many addons purchased for FSX that do install to P3D without issues. The main thing to keep in mind is all the locations that the installer will put the files.

I.E. some addons write to the exe.xml file or/and the dll.exe which are located in users/(yourname)/appdata/roaming/microsoft/FSX

I.E some addons also write to ProgramData/(Addons own directory or Microsoft)/FSX/Scenery.cfg

Note you can copy the entries from this scenery.cfg and paste them into your Prepar3D Scenry.cfg using notepad.

There is a payware fsx to Prepar3D Migration tool that seems to work.

And a free registry tool that sets the location of FSX directory to where you want to select (Probably your P3D installation)

The free tools works for installers that install only into the FSX directory but for the installers that used the above mentioned directories you would need to manually copy the files or entries into the appropriate P3D locations.

Secondly a note for people thinking about the OpenFlight aircraft. Yes they are impressive models indeed but they are only the models and do not have flight dynamics with them so if you wanted to use an OpenFlight model for an aircraft then there is much more work needed for that.

Hope this short explanation was helpful. I'm sure I am not 100% accurate but maybe some other users can correct any mistakes I made.
wigerup

Post by wigerup »

Thanks, that make things clear for me.

Regards

Bjorn
Kamikaze

Post by Kamikaze »

I want to add, all model files since FS98 can be brought up to FSX standard wit Arno Geretsen's ModelConverterX... I love it as many things I have created 10 and more years ago can now be dusted and recycled.