Updated 3ds Max Tools Posted - NEW 1.2 BETA

SDK supports Prepar3D’s philosophy of an open development architecture and encourages third parties to bring new innovations with improved add-ons and training content.
Adam Breed
Lockheed Martin

Post by Adam Breed »

Hi Everyone,

We have just posted an updated suite of 3ds Max tools. It should fix any errors associated with the 1.1 SDK release and also includes new support for 3ds Max 2011!

A second update has been posted for the 3ds Max tools. It can be downloaded from the same location:

http://www.prepar3d.com/downloads/?did=19

Not only does this release contain fixes for issues that have been addressed in this thread, it also includes support for 3ds Max 2012!

Continue to let us know if you experience any problems by posting in this thread.

Prepar3D® Engineering Project Manager
mjahn

Post by mjahn »

Hi there!

Many thanks for the new tool set, especially the Max 2011 support.

In this connection some of the developers over at FSDeveloper.com have experienced the following problem when starting Max with the new tools installed as per the Learning Center.

First, Max 2011 takes very long to load (2 minutes), sitting idly and apparently waiting for a timeout to occur, and then gives a diagnostic error message (appended below). After clicking OK there is another error message. After clicking No Max loads alright, has the Aces Tools and Documentation in the Menu, and allows ESP X file export.

We do not know what the side effects of these messages are, or if they can be circumvented in any way. We'd be very grateful if you could shed any light on this.

I am on Win7/64, running Max 2011 32, other users report the same problem with Win 7/32. Neither of us has P3D installed.

Best

Manfred Jahn

(Lockheed Constellation etc)

Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

Thanks for the bug report. I'll put a ticket in.

Beau
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
hcornea

Post by hcornea »

I can confirm this error also:

Same symptoms ... 2 installs: Win7 64bit Ultimate Sp1 Max 2011 32bit, and Win7 Ultimate SP1 32bit and Max 2011 32bit

Delayed load and same error message.

Many thanks for lodging the ticket, Beau.
Adam Breed
Lockheed Martin

Post by Adam Breed »

For those having issues, do you have MSXML 6 and .NET 4.0 installed? Those are installed with Prepar3D. If you are missing those, that could explain why you are seeing problems.
Max Perry
Lockheed Martin

Post by Max Perry »

I figured out the problem and hopefully we can get a fix out soon!

Are you receiving a xaml error when you remove the Prepar3D 3dsMax tools? I get an error although a slightly different one when I remove the 3rd party plugin path and delete the local data.

mjahn

Post by mjahn »

Excellent, many thanks.

Manfred

PS. Msxml 6 and .Net 4 are installed on my rig - c:\Windows\System32\msxml6.dll (SP3) is present and so is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full (Install = 1, Version 4.0.30319).

The problem described only occurs after pointing Max to the new tool folder.

Andras

Post by Andras »

And the 2009 plugins give this error:

Andras

Max Perry
Lockheed Martin

Post by Max Perry »

Thanks Andras, working on that one now. Is anyone else following the thread getting that error in 2009?
Stu Austin

Post by Stu Austin »

Hello. Loaded up Max 2009 and getting the same error with Max 2009 as the above image.

In Max 2011, getting the same errors as reported for Max 2011.

stu
Adam Breed
Lockheed Martin

Post by Adam Breed »

Hi Everyone,

A second update has been posted for the 3ds Max tools. It can be downloaded from the same location:

http://www.prepar3d.com/downloads/?did=19

Not only does this release contain fixes for issues that have been addressed in this thread, it also includes support for 3ds Max 2012!

Continue to let us know if you experience any problems by posting in this thread.
Max Perry
Lockheed Martin

Post by Max Perry »

Hey community I have one note to add:

I'm currently aware of a memory issue which is causing an unknown system exception in the XportModelRollout.ms when exporting very complex models. We are working on fixing this for the official release!
mjahn

Post by mjahn »

The new SDK Tools seem to work fine here, using Max 2011. The errors that I reported earlier have gone, and the Aces menus and FSX Materials are all present and in working order as far as I can tell. Thanks very much for this, Orswell!

Best,

Manfred
noob24

Post by noob24 »

i have 3dsmax 2012 student version licence is this supported with the new update?

i can see the aces tools menu in main menu bar but if i try to open any of them i get a max script mesage saying

" this tool is currantly not supported"

exactly the same issue for max 2011 too
mjahn

Post by mjahn »

I got the student edition of Max 2011, too, and everything's working fine now.

Make sure you have the new tools folders copied to the P3D SDK folder, replacing the old ones.

In Max, go Customize > Configure System Paths > 3rd Party Plugins > Add .. and point to the P3D SDK folder ...3DSM2011\Plugins\

In your FSX SDK, verify you have a sample DC-3 Max file there.

In Max, load the DC-3, and study all of it carefully.

Pick one the materials and see that they are indeed FSX specific.

Pick an animated object, such as a rudder and open the Animation Manager to see the animation settings.