Jetliner Aircraft lose electrical power

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
beechcaptain

Jetliner Aircraft lose electrical power

Post by beechcaptain »

I have the following problem that occurs in P3Dv5.3 Academic, with all of my addon jetliner aircraft - PMDG, Captain Sim, Quality Wings:
I go through normal procedures to start my aircraft, and during taxi to rwy, the aircraft suddenly loses electrical power resulting in the aircraft shutting down the engines and other electrically powered devices. I get a message in some aircraft that there is not enough electrical power.

I have been able to get my PMDG 737ngxu to bypass this issue by using the maintenance function and making sure failures are turned off and clear any hours issues in the respective aircraft hours file. However, all other aircraft don't have the depth of systems which include failures so I'm puzzled why this keeps happening.

Any way to get around this? Perhaps a way to make sure default generators are all on? I always start from the Fly Now menu selecting desired addon a/c, airport, time, etc.

I have only added the Captain Sim 737 Classic aircraft which flew without issue and then a few weeks ago the above started happening.

I us Active Sky P3D, Radar Contact 4.3 and smartCARS3 as actively running apps along with P3Dv5.3. I have ruled out those apps as the issue occurs when I don't use them.

Hope someone can help solve this.

Thanks

Glenn W.
aka beechcaptain
Martyson

Re: Jetliner Aircraft lose electrical power

Post by Martyson »

Hello beechcaptain ,
Glenn

Do you have any failures enabled (P3D top menu Aircraft / Failures)?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Martyson wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:42 pm Hello beechcaptain ,
Glenn

Do you have any failures enabled (P3D top menu Aircraft / Failures)?
Edit:

Do you have any failures enabled (P3D top menu Vehicle / Failures)?
Best Regards,
beechcaptain

Post by beechcaptain »

Hey, Vaughan!

No failures selected in any of the categories.

Glenn
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

beechcaptain wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:05 pm Hey, Vaughan!

No failures selected in any of the categories.

Glenn
Hi Glenn,

I also use PMDG737 (now with P3D5.4.9)

If you load PMDG cold/dark at the gate.

Ext. power / APU (no other preflight) and engine start, stut down APU.
Push back a short distance, park brake, no taxi, do the engines shut down after a few minutes?

Anything on the overhead panel abnormal if they do?

Do you use FSUIPC?

Just to verify, other than what you mentioned:
Do you have any other Add-on products running?
Best Regards,
beechcaptain

Post by beechcaptain »

The problem would happen in the PMDG 737-800 NGXu as well. It always happens during taxi about half way to the hold point. It takes that long for the battery to totally drain, I guess. I could quickly reset the engine generators and continue the flight but would have to re configure the EFB. Could not do that with the Capt Sim 757/767 or QW 787, though. As I mentioned previously, I was able to solve it for the NGXu by using the maintenance option in the FMC and also resetting the aircraft hours file data. No such luck on the other addon aircraft, though.

I do use FSUIPC 6, licensed version, and use the infinite battery option. I will start using the events log function to see what it detects when the issue arises again.

Thanks,

Glenn

Edited to add: These are the other items I have running/in use - Active Sky P3D, Radar Contact 4.3, smartCARS3, GSX Level 2
Last edited by beechcaptain on Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Then, test another PMDG aircraft and do nothing special like you mentioned:

"I was able to solve it for the NGXu by using the maintenance option in the FMC and also resetting the aircraft hours file data"

Edit:
I do not use these:
Radar Contact 4.3, smartCARS3, GSX Level 2
Best Regards,
beechcaptain

Post by beechcaptain »

Just to update, I spoke too soon about the PMDG 737NGXu - it happened again in the 737-800 while taxiing to runway. All of a sudden, the engine generators are tripped and go offline. Fortunately, the 737 's systems aren't as power hungry so they stay alive long enough for me to reset the engine generator switches and full power is restored. I only then have to reset autobrake, yaw damper, and efb, and continue taxi. The remainder of my flight has been uneventful.

Something is causing the engine generators to go offline - that is what must be solved.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Verify initially no PMDG Oil Failures need fixing.

After engine start, during push back and taxi:

Monitor / record these engine oil values for any changes (example only screenshot of PMDG-600).

Best Regards,
beechcaptain

Post by beechcaptain »

I will monitor the oil values as you suggest. I did take a screenshot of my 738 overhead at start of taxi, to verify ac & dc power levels. They were normal. It may be a couple of days before I get a chance to do another flight test, will report back at that time. I'm also considering letting FSUIPC rebuild the ini but need to gather my Thrustmaster T16000 HOTAS stick and throttle data for all of the axis and button settings.

Thanks.
beechcaptain

Post by beechcaptain »

I deleted the FSUIPC.ini and let it rebuild, then ran a test flight. Here is the engine oil status:

For some reason, I can't get the image link from mediafire to appear, just the broken image link icon. Any tips appreciated.

In the meantime, here are the values from the image taken after engines were started (R first, the L):
Oil Pressure: L - 31, R - 30
Oil Temp: L - 96, R - 99
Oil Qty: L - 74, R - 79
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Best Regards,
beechcaptain

Post by beechcaptain »

I used those exact steps and here is the result:

I created an imgur account and here is the result:

So it was definitely an issue with mediafire.

Thanks.

Also, as an update, after deleting the FSUIPC.ini file and letting it rebuild after running P3Dv5.3, I had an uneventful (problem free) test and the FSUIPC.log file was very clean, where the old log had some major repetitive entries that probably were the culprit or at least contributed to tripping the engine generators. I posted those files over on the FSUIPC forum to see if anyone could elaborate on those entries and correlation.

Kindest regards,

Glenn
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

You are welcome.

Thanks for the update.

Was your screenshot taken after engine start, during push back or during taxi ?

As your problem is reported (AVSIM) to be intermittent it may take a few more tests to verify.

Will be interesting to see what FSUIPC Support has to say.
Best Regards,
beechcaptain

Post by beechcaptain »

That shot was taken after pushback & startup, just before taxi to runway. The engines had a couple of minutes to warm up while I was doing after start checklist and request to taxi.