Install_content question

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
Renaissanceman

Install_content question

Post by Renaissanceman »

First, thanks for the update. I have updated the client only. What exactly is in the "content" install? I use two mostly two add-on aircraft in the sim. Am I missing anything by not installing the content files?

Thanks again for your work, really enjoy the sim.
andrebr

Re: Install_content question

Post by andrebr »

In Control Panel, Prepar3d Content is 11,3 GB. Install Content is 3.026 MB. That´s correect?
bazbeaumont

Post by bazbeaumont »

andrebr wrote:In Control Panel, Prepar3d Content is 11,3 GB. Install Content is 3.026 MB. That´s correct?
Yes that's correct because the Install_content.msi installer uses the cont1.cab cabinet file, which is just another name for a .zip file, to extract and decompress all the necessary stuff for the content part. That's why you need the cont1.cab file in the same folder as the installer.

Its the same with scenery as Install_scenery.msi uses the scen*.cab files for the same purpose.

Pretty logical to me.
andrebr

Post by andrebr »

Thanks friend. My english is bad, I don´t see instructions about download cont1.cab to install content. Downloading now.

I would like to be sure uninstalling Content from Control Panel don´t unistall my addons
Renaissanceman

Post by Renaissanceman »

I have to pose the question again, what exactly is in the content.msi file and will it wipe out my add-ons if I install it?

Thanks
ronh991

Post by ronh991 »

bazbeaumont wrote:
andrebr wrote:In Control Panel, Prepar3d Content is 11,3 GB. Install Content is 3.026 MB. That´s correct?
Yes that's correct because the Install_content.msi installer uses the cont1.cab cabinet file, which is just another name for a .zip file, to extract and decompress all the necessary stuff for the content part. That's why you need the cont1.cab file in the same folder as the installer.

Its the same with scenery as Install_scenery.msi uses the scen*.cab files for the same purpose.

Pretty logical to me.
Where are you getting an 11 GIG content file? (mine is 1.7 Gig) - I think you are trying to "expand" the cab file. You DO NOT need to expand the cab files. Just right click on the content.msi and select install. Am I misunderstanding something?
Ron
bazbeaumont

Post by bazbeaumont »

ronh991 wrote:
bazbeaumont wrote:

Pretty logical to me.
Where are you getting an 11 GIG content file? (mine is 1.7 Gig) - I think you are trying to "expand" the cab file. You DO NOT need to expand the cab files. Just right click on the content.msi and select install. Am I misunderstanding something?
You are misunderstanding my comment.
Actually my P3D v3 Content file in Control Panel/Programs and Features is 5.81 GB. Not sure where the OP got 11.3GB from, and I didn't check.
I am perfectly aware that you DO NOT need to expand the cab file which you will see if you read my post correctly where I state quite clearly: -
the Install_content.msi installer uses the cont1.cab cabinet file, which is just another name for a .zip file, to extract and decompress all the necessary stuff for the content part.
Its the people who don't understand that you need the cab file in the same folder as the .msi installer you should be more concerned about.