Prepar3D v5.3 Bad Performance

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Anton Vind

Prepar3D v5.3 Bad Performance

Post by Anton Vind »

Hello,

I updated to Prepar3D v5.3 (fresh install), and I applied the exact same settings as I had in v5.2. However, with these settings I get bad performance (20-30 fps). It only happens when I look toward or above the horizon (so maybe weather related?), because whenever I look down or below the horizon in the VC or outside, I get the usual 50-70 fps. Is there any new setting in v5.3 that could cause this bad performance? Yes I have tried to repair all the modules in the Windows Control Panel, and I also checked the NVIDIA Control Panel, to restore the GPU's default settings. I also use the newest GPU driver (RTX 2080 SUPER).

Regards,
Anton
erikschlijper

Re: Prepar3D v5.3 Bad Performance

Post by erikschlijper »

Running into the same issue. Since 5.3 I have worse FPS at a same scenario with same aircraft and such then in 5.2HF1.
Also now, in v5.3, my FPS in very fluctuating, in the range 25-35, where in 5.2HF1 I had a steady 40+fps. I've cleared shadercache, rebuild cfg several times. Did a repair install of client to restore ShadersHLSL.

Also maybe worth to mention, I did a total P3D5.3 reinstall. First deleted all of 5.2HF1, then installed 5.3

Sincerely Erik
Sky_King

Post by Sky_King »

Turn off road traffic and if you are using FSLABS a/c, update that for 5.3.
Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5; Win11 Pro; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k..
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Bad performance.... compared to what? Sorry if I offend someone, but that is my reaction.

20-30 FPS is not a bad performance, more like average! It is to be expected that as the sim is developed, its demands on hardware will increase. The real question is (it ought to be): is the sim running smoothly with that frame rate?

Check out my post in the thread about AI Road traffic, then you'll see what bad performance is.

Again I will apologize if I offend someone.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Anton Vind

Post by Anton Vind »

20-30 fps? That's not smooth - and I'll call it bad performance if it's not smooth. I see that you only have 4 GB VRAM, which is a minimum system requirement for running Prepar3D v5, so of course you'll be in trouble (especially if demand on hardware increases as you say).

Road traffic are turned off and I don't have the FSLabs so none of these cause the bad performance.

I'm in the same situation as you Erik, and I also did a complete reinstall, by uninstalling v5.2 first.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

20-30 FPS is not smooth in itself - the questions is, to be more clear: is P3D running with out stutters? Are you flying smoothly over the terrain?

If I have a nice, smooth flying experience with P3D, then I do not really care what the frame rate is. It is the overall experience that counts - and yes, of course the frame rate is part of that, but not everything.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Anton Vind

Post by Anton Vind »

I haven’t even flown yet (not gonna do that with 20-30 fps), but I guess stutters are inevitable with these fps. I’m more interested in what could cause such a deterioration in fps, considering my settings in v5.3 are the exact same as in v5.2.
zdvet

Post by zdvet »

I am also having horrendous performance - worked fine on a test flight last night with no issues and great performance.

Today, it started off OK but about an hour in, the performance is unusable (the FPS counter isn't even refreshing because I'm not at even 1 FPS), aircraft is erratic.

I was getting 40-60fps in 5.2 without issues, nothing change between last night and tonight on my computer. NVidia driver is updated, windows is updated.
MikaV

Post by MikaV »

Roll back NVidia drivers, there are something went wrong in december drivers.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

MikaV wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:40 pm Roll back NVidia drivers, there are something went wrong in december drivers.
@ MikaV ,

Where did you see that confirmed?
Was it in Nvidia forum?

I am using Nvidia 497.09 and it is not causing a problem in my test flight.

What are your steps to confirm the P3Dv5.3 bad performance?

What are your system specs , Add-ons ?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Anton Vind

Post by Anton Vind »

Yeah reverting back to a previous GPU driver is not helping. I used 472.12 from September until the newest driver came out, because the other ones were not optimal for Prepar3D. Both 472.12 and 497.09 causes bad performance.
zdvet

Post by zdvet »

I did another flight and had no issues... restarted the computer and did another, now having the issue again. Issue is so abrupt and choppy that it gave me motion sickness. Frames are about 1 frame every 3 seconds and causes the aircraft to sway back and forth fairly violently.

Turned graphics down the graphics down as low as I could with no improvement, VRAM usage is at 4.2-4.5/9.1

Video for demonstration: https://youtu.be/3fCRpFxRVEg - AP was on the whole time until the nosedive at the end kicked it off.

Specs:
Intel i9-10900KF
NVidia 3080
32gb ram
Windows 10
Installed on SSD

I've had issue with the following addons, but also not had the issue with these same addons....
FSLabs 320
PMDG 737
ActiveSky
SimToolKit
Navigraph Charts
Chaseplane
FlyTampa CYYZ
FlightBeam KMSP
Simaddons CYQM
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

@ zdvet ,

Have you tested the same flight with the default P3Dv5.3 aircraft and default scenery without Add-ons running?

After first installing P3Dv5.3 without Add-ons (a full default install ?) did you test it before adding your Add-ons back in?
Best Regards,
zdvet

Post by zdvet »

Martyson wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:37 am @ zdvet ,

Have you tested the same flight with the default P3Dv5.3 aircraft and default scenery without Add-ons running?

After first installing P3Dv5.3 without Add-ons (a full default install ?) did you test it before adding your Add-ons back in?
I did the full install/reinstall but not a completely fresh install.

I did test before addons and it seemed to be fine, the issue shows up after about 90 minutes though. Both flights that I had this issue, I had the sim paused for about 15-20 minutes at top of descent before I got back to the computer, the flights that have been OK did not pause for more than a minute or so.

Haven't tried to do it with the default aircraft as they were longer-ish flights.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

zdvet wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:49 am
Martyson wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:37 am @ zdvet ,

I did the full install/reinstall but not a completely fresh install.

I did test before addons and it seemed to be fine, the issue shows up after about 90 minutes though. Both flights that I had this issue, I had the sim paused for about 15-20 minutes at top of descent before I got back to the computer, the flights that have been OK did not pause for more than a minute or so.

Haven't tried to do it with the default aircraft as they were longer-ish flights.
@ zdvet ,

Have you contacted any of your Add-on developers about this poor performance flight?

Have you had problems like this with PMDG737NGXu?

Note:
I have FSL A320 and PMDG737NGXu but no test with P3Dv5.3 ... just installing Add-ons.
Best Regards,