ATIS not working with ILS suffix

Discussion related to terrain/scenery design.
portanav

ATIS not working with ILS suffix

Post by portanav »

Because this airport has an ILS with a suffix attached the ATIS does not work; as explained in this viewtopic - http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8402

Has a fix ever been looked into or reviewed by the LM team?

Thanks,
Michael.
P3Dv5.2-Win10/64,i7/6700,16GbRAM, SSD's, GTX1080
downscc

Re: ATIS not working with ILS suffix

Post by downscc »

Do I understand the issue correctly, one cannot add ATIS to an ILS frequency that is also assigned to an active ILS?

To be honest, I've never ran across an ATIS in the US on an ILS carrier... as a comm engineer I'm not even sure it can be done because the LOC carrier is AM and the ATIS is AM... I must not understand your issue.

EDIT: This puzzle caught my interest. I see from the Jepps that YMAV ATIS is 118.2 and the ILS LOC is 109.5; okay breathing again. Your issue is that when 109.5 is allocated to ILS then 118.2 stops working for ATIS service?

Interesting issue. One would never see precious ILS frequencies allocated to a voice service in most parts of the world where we are literally running out of frequencies. But since there are places where this practice is followed I agree it is a bonafide request.

Maybe this is something LM will address if they ever update the obsolete 25 kHz comm channelization.
Dan Downs
KCRP
portanav

Re: ATIS not working with ILS suffix

Post by portanav »

downscc wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:04 pm Do I understand the issue correctly, one cannot add ATIS to an ILS frequency that is also assigned to an active ILS?
Dan, you misunderstood the post. It's not adding an ATIS to an ILS, its the ATIS does NOT work (no audio) if their is an ILS approach with a suffix attached. e.g. ILS-Y RWY 10. Having the suffix "Y" for some reason does not allow the ATIS to be heard.

Check the http link. This was posted in 2013, six years ago.

Regards,
Michael.
P3Dv5.2-Win10/64,i7/6700,16GbRAM, SSD's, GTX1080