Poor Performance on a high end machine

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
nasserms

Post by nasserms »

It is very hard to give a definitive answer on the best settings for things like that, because they vary widely from machine to machine. If you are getting unsatisfactory performance, I highly recommend that you take a look around the forums at some of the advice that has been given by the community. As for the graphics memory, you can simply experiment with the value to find a number that works well. Texture's are stored in system main memory before being sent over to the graphics card, so it is usually pretty safe to assume that you will not need much more graphics memory than the application uses system memory.
Zach Heylmun

Post by Zach Heylmun »

Hi Nasserm,

I'm sorry you're having performance troubles. That machine should have no troubles running Prepar3d smoothly. Prepar3d is typically fairly cpu bound, and so the crazy quad SLI setup probably will not help performance, and may in fact hurt it. If you can provide some more information about your settings and running processes we may be able to give you some better advice. You might also want to give it a try with only one card to see if that may be causing issues with your system.
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

Just to clarify, Zach suggested this because we have seen a similar system using a lower end video card get about 2x the performance you posted. Without more info, it's hard to say why, but it could be related to higher resource IO requirements of using SLI. I've never been able to get a clear answer for how video memory is addressed within 32-bit applications. I'd assume that DirectX manages the graphics memory leaving the full 4GB of addressable space to the application, but I'm not entirely sure. In a 32-bit OS, video memory is part of the 32-bit address space in which case, 3GB of graphics memory would leave you with 1GB of addressable system memory. You may want to run task manager and look at the application and system memory footprint. Also check to see what other tasks might be running.

Thanks,

Beau
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
jimcooper1

Post by jimcooper1 »

Beau,

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I have the top of the range PC with 3GB of VRAM (dual GTX580) and it performs no better (with 2 monitors) than my 5 year old X6800 with a 1 GB graphics card driving 2 monitors, and performs worse when I try to drive 4 monitors. Even though I have a 64-bit operating system and 16GB RAM the application is clearly not able to utilise it all.. We have to accept that we're dealing with a 32-bit program and limit the amount of addressing we try to push. At least now we have a much improved Multi-Channel system so if we need multiple displays we can use multiple slaves. I've driven 10 monitors through 4 Slaves at good framerates and a couple of those Slaves are quite old systems.

Jim
JetBizLux

Post by JetBizLux »

I am myself a full newbie in simulation techno, however I come from advanced CAD/CAM and have a minimal knowledge in Win soft/hard...

it is weeks I read various posts in this forum, weeks I look around on youtbe, on FSX related forums (and others),

and so far I'm still completely lost in understanding what is the minimum config to drive properly the software for having the best visual results... I come to Prepar3D because I feel it is (or will) be a more serious platform than others.

So far, what I understand, if the goal is to be able to drive several displays (monitors or projectors) in a good quality res/effects, it is better to have several nearly standard PC rather than having one super multi core CPU with multi threading and so on?

it is better to have one correct GPU on each CPU, than having the latest Radeon 7, or FirePro ?

in other word, rather than trying to concentrate all the power on one unit, better have several "small" units and run in multi-channel ?

But if it is so, why are some people saying that they are able to run FSX and Prepard3d on 5 hi-res monitors on one single PC ?

(one member on this forum is saying he is driving 6 projectors on a single PC with Eyefinity with no difficulty ? and he even promotes this on youtube ? of course, when one asks about the config, the answer is that the system is the result of a long research, and that the answer requires some money???)

Where is the truth ?

Denis

WBard

Post by WBard »

Denis,

There have been a good number of forum posts too about specific settings in Prepar3D that hinder performance. Do you by chance have bathymetry checked? What is your global texture resolution, and your terrain setting sliders at? Also your water reflection effects slider setting and autogen can impact performance as well. There is quite a bit of tuning that can be done to balance your required performance with the visual of the simulation.
nasserms

Post by nasserms »

Hi Zach, thanks for your reply. I went into the Nvidia panel and disabled the other card, it did not make any difference. I have also followed your tuning guide bare in mind that the GTX590 has 3GB ram I am not sure what the optimal tuning in the cfg would be for my system.

I am currently getting 12-15fps in the KJFK area // I have set the limit for fps to 38fps and also tried setting to 50fps

attached is my cfg file

please advise.

-Nasser

[Display]

ChangeTime=4.000000

TransitionTime=4.000000

ActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255

ActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=0,28,140,64

NonActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255

NonActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=24,33,87,64

InfoUpperRightTextColor=255,0,0

InfoUpperRightBackGroundColor=0,0,0,0

InfoLowerLeftTextColor=255,255,255

InfoLowerLeftBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128

InfoLowerRightTextColor=255,255,255

InfoLowerRightBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128

InfoBrakesEnable=True

InfoParkingBrakesEnable=True

InfoPauseEnable=True

InfoSlewEnable=True

InfoStallEnable=True

InfoOverspeedEnable=True

BLOOM_EFFECTS=0

SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.0

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.0

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.0

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.5

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=75

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=38

WideViewAspect=False

TextureMaxLoad=9

[Main]

User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter, Submersible, ExternalSim

SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes

SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft

SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles

SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats

SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals

SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc

SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\Submersible

ProcSpeed=9597

PerfBucket=7

Location=796,47,1836,728,\\.\DISPLAY1

Maximized=1

HideMenuNormal=0

HideMenuFullscreen=1

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33

[PANELS]

IMAGE_QUALITY=1

QUICKTIPS=0

PANEL_OPACITY=100

PANEL_MASKING=1

PANEL_STRETCHING=1

UNITS_OF_MEASURE=0

[Weather]

WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=1

MinGustTime=10

MaxGustTime=500

MinGustRampSpeed=1

MaxGustRampSpeed=200

MinVarTime=5

MaxVarTime=50

MinVarRampSpeed=10

MaxVarRampSpeed=75

TurbulenceScale=1.000000

WeatherGraphDataInDialog=0

AdjustForMagVarInDialog=1

DynamicWeather=2

DownloadWindsAloft=0

DisableTurbulence=0

CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=3

DETAILED_CLOUDS=1

CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=8

THERMAL_VISUALS=0

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590.0]

Mode=1920x1080x32

Anisotropic=1

AntiAlias=1

[CONTROLS]

Controls_Default=Standard

Controls_Current=Standard

KBDAIL=64

KBDELEV=64

KBDRUD=64

JOYSTICKS=0

[TextInfo.1]

Latitude=1,1

Longitude=1,2

Altitude=1,3

Heading=1,4

AirSpeed=1,5

WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6

[TextInfo.2]

FrameRate=1,1

LockedFrameRate=1,2

GForce=1,3

FuelPercentage=1,4

[TextInfo.3]

Latitude=1,1

Longitude=1,2

Altitude=1,3

Heading=1,4

AirSpeed=1,5

WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6

FrameRate=2,1

LockedFrameRate=2,2

GForce=2,3

FuelPercentage=2,4

[SlewTextInfo.1]

Latitude=1,1

Longitude=1,2

Altitude=1,3

Heading=1,4

AirSpeed=1,5

[SlewTextInfo.2]

FrameRate=1,1

LockedFrameRate=1,2

[SlewTextInfo.3]

Latitude=1,1

Longitude=1,2

Altitude=1,3

Heading=1,4

AirSpeed=1,5

FrameRate=2,1

LockedFrameRate=2,2

[GRAPHICS]

SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=1

HIGHMEMFIX=1

ForceFullScreenVSync=1

SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=202159361

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048

NUM_LIGHTS=8

AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1

AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1

COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=0

LANDING_LIGHTS=0

AC_SELF_SHADOW=0

EFFECTS_QUALITY=2

GROUND_SHADOWS=0

TEXTURE_QUALITY=3

IMAGE_QUALITY=0

See_Self=1

Text_Scroll=1

[DynamicHeadMovement]

LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.020000

LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.010000

RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.010000

YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.100000

RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.100000

MaxHeadAngle=5.000000

MaxHeadOffset=0.300000

HeadMoveTimeConstant=1.000000

[VirtualCopilot]

VirtualCopilotActive=0

[USERINTERFACE]

SHOW_MISSION_CAPTIONS=0

PAUSE_ON_LOST_FOCUS=0

PROMPT_ON_EXIT=1

SITUATION=C:\Users\AST NEW\Documents\Prepar3D Files\okbk.flt

Map_Orientation=2

[PointOfInterestSystem]

CycleSetting=0

[SOUND]

PrimaryPlaybackDevice={DEF00000-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}

VoicePlaybackDevice={DEF00002-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}

VoiceCaptureDevice={DEF00003-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}

SOUND=1

SOUND_QUALITY=2

SOUND_LOD=0

UISound=1

SOUND_FADER1=0.740000

SOUND_FADER2=-0.490000

SOUND_FADER3=0.720000

SOUND_FADER4=-0.500000

[SCENERY]

LENSFLARE=1

DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1

IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=4

[TrafficManager]

AirlineDensity=0

GADensity=0

FreewayDensity=20

ShipsAndFerriesDensity=25

LeisureBoatsDensity=15

IFROnly=-1

AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=0

[TERRAIN]

SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=30

LOD_RADIUS=4.500000

MESH_COMPLEXITY=75

MESH_RESOLUTION=20

TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=25

AUTOGEN_DENSITY=3

DETAIL_TEXTURE=1

WATER_REFLECTION_DETAIL=4

WATER_REFRACTION_DETAIL=4

ENABLE_BATHYMETRY=1

WATER_CLARITY=30

[AContain]

ShowLabels=0

ShowUserLabel=1

ShowLabelManufacturer=1

ShowLabelModel=1

ShowLabelTailNumber=0

ShowLabelDistance=1

ShowLabelAltitude=1

ShowLabelAirline=0

ShowLabelAirlineAndFlightNumber=0

ShowLabelFlightPlan=0

ShowLabelContainerId=0

ShowLabelAirspeed=0

ShowLabelHeading=0

LabelDelay=1000

LabelColor=FFFF0000

[ATC]

AutoOpenAirTrafficWindow=0

UsePilotVoice=0

PilotVoice=0

[INTERNATIONAL]

ASLAT=2

ASLON=1

MEASURE=0

[REALISM]

PFactor=1.000000

Torque=1.000000

GyroEffect=1.000000

CrashTolerance=1.000000

General=1.000000

UnlimitedFuel=False

AllowEngineDamage=False

TrueAirspeed=False

AutoCoord=False

RealMixture=True

StressDamage=False

GEffect=False

ManualLights=False

GyroDrift=False

CrashWithDyn=False

CrashDetection=False

OnCrashAction=0

AutoTrim=False

[SIM]

SYSCLOCK=0

[STARTUP]

DEMO=0

STARTUP_DEMO=

LoadWindow=1

[FACILITIES]

COUNTRY=

STATE=

CITY=

GTL_BUTTON=4096

[Misc]

Com_Rate=7

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590.1]

Mode=1920x1080x32

Anisotropic=1

AntiAlias=1

[BufferPools]

UsePools=1

Poolsize=490000000

RejectThreshold=524288

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14

[MULTIPLAYER]

condAccoutPassword=0

Tatankamani

Post by Tatankamani »

Hi,

I don’t know if it helps, but below are my .cfg settings and on my machine (W7/64, i-2600k (4.2GHz),GTX580, 8GB RAM), P3D runs perfect, with most sliders to the right. P3D is running with MyTraffic X and ORBX sceneries (PNW with daylight setting). My frames are usually between 30-40 fps. In brief, what especially brought frames on my installation.

1) Upper_Frame_Limit=0, together with ForceFullScreenVSync=1

Any limitation on FPS killed P3D, as well as it did with FSX

2) WATER_REFRACTION_DETAIL=0, ENABLE_BATHYMETRIE=0, WATER_CLARITY=0 (killed fps)

3) Antialiasing 8xQ and AF 16x is done by nVidia Inspector

[Display]

BLOOM_EFFECTS=0

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=70

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=0

WideViewAspect=False

TextureMaxLoad=9

[Weather]

CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=3

DETAILED_CLOUDS=1

CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=8

THERMAL_VISUALS=0

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580.0]

Mode=2560x1600x32

TriLinear=1

[GRAPHICS]

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096

NUM_LIGHTS=8

AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=0

AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1

COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1

LANDING_LIGHTS=1

AC_SELF_SHADOW=0

EFFECTS_QUALITY=2

GROUND_SHADOWS=0

TEXTURE_QUALITY=3

IMAGE_QUALITY=0

See_Self=1

Text_Scroll=1

SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=1

HIGHMEMFIX=1

ForceFullScreenVSync=1

[SOUND]

UISound=1

[SCENERY]

LENSFLARE=0

DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1

IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5

[TrafficManager]

AirlineDensity=25

GADensity=25

FreewayDensity=10

ShipsAndFerriesDensity=30

LeisureBoatsDensity=25

IFROnly=-1

AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=0

[TERRAIN]

LOD_RADIUS=6.5.000000

MESH_COMPLEXITY=100

MESH_RESOLUTION=23

TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29

AUTOGEN_DENSITY=4

DETAIL_TEXTURE=1

WATER_REFLECTION_DETAIL=3

WATER_REFRACTION_DETAIL=0

ENABLE_BATHYMETRY=0

WATER_CLARITY=0

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14

NO BUFFERPOOLS

I think, its worth to try it, simply to see, what happens.

Bruno

nasserms

Post by nasserms »

Great thanks Bruno will give it a test in a bit, did you try it with multi-GPU or single using the nvidia inspector?
Zach Heylmun

Post by Zach Heylmun »

Nasserms,

I see that you have both bathymetry and refraction enabled, both of which can result in a significant performance hit. Also, as was mentioned, you probably want to try removing the framerate limit altogether, as it does result in a significant slowdown on my personal 3960. Finally, part of the problem may be the available addressable memory for the program. Try inserting the following line after the Display.device line:

VideoMemoryOverride=1073741824

As Beau explained, the huge amount of graphics memory may be cutting into the memory addressable by the program. If that line helps, try experimenting with that value.
nasserms

Post by nasserms »

Thanks Zach & Bruno it helped, much better fps now around 28fps (KJFK area-default scenery) not yet what I wanted. Also the image gets blurry when I turn on ground.

Nasser
Tatankamani

Post by Tatankamani »

Hi Nasser,

blurry image when turning on ground means that anything does not work as it should. I searched forums, because I remembered, a 6 core CPU needs another Affinitymask setting than 14, which is for 4 core engines. Affinitymask 62 should be optimal for 6 core CPU's.

Another shot in the dark, you could try:

http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

Goto mentioned site and let a FSX.cfg create, based on your hardware. The "optimized" FSX.cfg will be mailed to you. You can then compare settings with your present Prepare3D.cfg and try different settings. This is not very professional, but maybe any setting will help you.

Refferring to nVidia Inspector, I have set "single display performance mode" and "Prefer maximum performance"

Finally, I took default Beech B-58 and set it to default KJFK with fair wather, and with all my settings, mentioned before; I am getting 40-43 fps. Something comparable must be possible with your machine.

Bruno

nasserms

Post by nasserms »

Interesting tool , will give it a run. I am using an A320 with no panels which should be better performance than with the Beech B-58.

Post by 2391212 »

Deleted by author.
Legacy Support

Post by Legacy Support »

Guys,

There are differences with every setup and suggesting to go to another product because of a specific issue on the Prepar3D website is a tad much. So feel free to do so on other websites, but not this one. I know that I will be bashed for stating this, but it is a bit obvious. Rather than deleting the above post, I will keep it up as a reminder that although it is great to state your opinion, coming on to the Prepar3D site and suggesting that you should go to another product is not something that I am particularly happy with. It is also contrary to the rules of the site to not bash any particular product.... constructive criticism for sure, but not this. Fair warning that such posts will be deleted in accordance with the site rules. The underlying issue of poor performance for some people is noted however and as you can see from the posts from the development team, we take it seriously and want to make sure that we understand the issue.

There are some that get far superior performance and some that get horrible performance and it is in our best interest (both the development team and the community) to figure out where the issues lay so that they can be fixed for the benefit of all.

What I can offer to the discussion is that I purchased a new computer last week for my personal simulation use at home. I have an i-5 2500k set at about 4.4Ghz. I have 16Gb RAM and a 7500 RPM 1Tb drive with W7-64. I am currently using ON BOARD graphics (Intel HD 3000) while I am waiting on a GPU. It is a clean machine otherwise. I have anti-aliasing and bathymetry turned off and running at 1280 x 800 x 32. Global Texture Resolution is set to 1024 x 1024. I am getting between 30-40 fps on the Orbx PNW demo scenery and it looks great and it is as smooth as butter. So..... my experience is obviously different to other peoples and to be honest, can't wait to plug in an actual GPU! Now there are folks with awesome GPUs that are getting poor performance and less than my on board graphics! There are some with the exact same setups as these poor performing systems that are getting 50-60 FPS. Posting your setup and configurations will allow us (and I mean the team and the community) to try and figure it out and perhaps understand components or areas that might be causing the bottleneck.

Thanks for your attention.

John