5.1 maybe worth noting with Windows 10

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
pestridge77

5.1 maybe worth noting with Windows 10

Post by pestridge77 »

SO Ive been experiencing something weird that may be worth noting and its happened twice in a row...

When I first downloaded the 5.1 software, all separate files, checked and installed it with the installer all okay, the first time it ran I got a DXGI error that simply said ACCESS DENIED....
I did a registry clean and used the sfc /scannow process, reinstalled the client and restarted the pc. It loaded fine without error. I also had no problem running the client from the installer, I uninstalled from add/remove programs and installed from my downloads....

Did some testing that day and the sim performed without error....
The next day, I got the same DXGI ACCESS DENIED error and I couldnt load into my sim....
So I repeated the steps as above, as I did the night before and when I uninstalled the client, and then went to install the client only, a corruption error message came up ( I stored these files in videos/Microsoft Flight Simulator/P3D5.1, basically within the folder that MFS uses to save data to, although the folder is and has always been empty) saying that cab2 was corrupted and I could not proceed with the installation, which was strange as it worked the day before and I got no error and it seemed to install fine and the sim ran fine....

So I redownloaded the entire 5.1 sim again and checked it, no errors and installed the client fine, restarted the pc and the sim working fine again....

The very next day LIVE on stream, the same thing happened after doing a flight, I was demonstrating the difference between Active Sky and REX SkyForce weather and when I restarted the sim after ensuring it was shut down fully, the same message came up, ACCESS DENIED..... so I proceeded to uninstall the client and reinstall the client, and guess what, corrupted cab2 file again, this was literally 24 hours after downloading the client a second time fresh and verifying the download, all done live on stream last night.... so I redownloaded the whole thing again, checked it and it installed fine.... although last night I was still getting the ACCESS DENIED error...

I have tried repairing the content and scenery as well and so far it appears to load fine now.... I also moved the installation folders to another drive as well, which I usually store them on, just havent recently....

I will try and repair the client later and see what happens after the files havent been on my C drive, it seems to me that somehow they are getting corrupted by being on my C drive.....
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700k @ 3.7Ghz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090
RAM: 64G DDR4 Core Speed 3200Ghz
OS: Windows 10 (tweaked/modded for Flight Sim Performance)
JorgenSA

Re: 5.1 maybe worth noting with Windows 10

Post by JorgenSA »

Interesting.

I never download as separate files, I download the big download in one go (with Chrome even!), unpack it with WinRAR and run the installer as Administrator. For me, that works every time.

Jorgen

PS: and I never check the checksums, Chrome/WinRAR takes care of that.
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
clive6354

Post by clive6354 »

If you follow the instructions it is recommended to download the complete program file in preference to downloading individual files. Unless instructed, it is only necessary to install the client file as the content and scenery files are optional (refer to the changelog). If you have any doubt on the install process there is a P3D YOUTUBE video explaining the process (very good video, easy to understand).

As you have had a DXGI error several times, you may have a serious problem within your system or graphics card as this error seldom happens on multiple occassions.

I have installed v5.1 on a second computer, following the instructions. My Windows10 is completely up to date also my graphics card installation. I do not like the appearance of v5.1 but have not experienced any CTD as reported by other users. I have had no problems with updating from v5 to v5.1 and v5.1 loads and runs without any problems, except that I do not like it as it looks dreadful.

V5.1 with cateracts
pestridge77

Post by pestridge77 »

Clive, I think you clearly are misunderstanding what is written here.. Im not sure why you are saying "IF you follow the instructions"...

I dont have a corrupt download or installation of P3D and your offer to help is totally rude..
No matter how you cut it, downloading larger files takes longer and with the time wait if there are internet dropouts then it can corrupted the big files. It takes but seconds to download the individual files and I have always downloaded the individual files in the past without any problems, even checking them they still can be corrupt once they sit on the hard drive.
The issue you are questioning me on is more of corruption once downloaded if sitting on the C drive, not at download...

The files install without error as soon as they are downloaded and only return with an error once they have sat on my C drive for 24 hours... therefore something that the OS or what another program is doing is corrupting the files...

I have checked my system many times and there is nothing wrong with the operating system or the hardware connected to it....
I have not experienced any ctd in my 5.1, the issue is when it loads, I get an error returned about access to my graphics card, which to me is a simple permissions issue and nothing to do with the program or the OS. I dont get ctds, its an access issue....

Also, the new update features new content, client and scenery sim files (as mentioned in the changelog) within the files of 5.1.
... the instructions you refer to are always there and outdated from the previous hotfix, when it was only needed to download the client....

To be honest Clive, I am getting sick and tired of you following me around the internet and trying to make out like Im a liar all the time, its energy draining and unnecessary. You message me as if you are a friend and then begin slandering me all over the internet the next day.....
mbujor61@gmail.com

Post by mbujor61@gmail.com »

You do mentioned REX Sky Force... I have been waiting for an update since the P3D4.5 version. As far as I am aware there is no REX SF that will work with P3D5.1... unless I have been sleeping for over a year now.
That maybe your problem, some sort of integrity violation issue...
alaxus

Post by alaxus »

FWIW I don't know what version of Win 10 you are using, but there have been some recent updates that have introduced the behaviour that you are experiencing.
If the corruption continues you have a few options:
Reinstall Windows to an earlier update to hopefully remove the update that is causing it.
Check the physical drive and maybe replace it.
Buy a new computer.

I get very nervous when I notice file corruption, unchecked it can cause a lot of expense.
pestridge77

Post by pestridge77 »

alaxus wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:26 am FWIW I don't know what version of Win 10 you are using, but there have been some recent updates that have introduced the behaviour that you are experiencing.
If the corruption continues you have a few options:
Reinstall Windows to an earlier update to hopefully remove the update that is causing it.
Check the physical drive and maybe replace it.
Buy a new computer.

I get very nervous when I notice file corruption, unchecked it can cause a lot of expense.
Thank you for your comments, the resolution was to download the larger p3dv5.1 download and use the files contained within the zip folder.... maybe this is the reason why LM recommend the larger download.... RIP
clive6354

Post by clive6354 »

No "maybe" about it, LM do not recommend an action without reason, follow the instructions and you will have no problems. There are users who think they know better than the Developers and adopt their own procedures as the correct procedures take a little longer. It is amazing how things go wrong if you do not follow the instructions
Last edited by clive6354 on Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

@alaxus:

Quote: "FWIW I don't know what version of Win 10 you are using, but there have been some recent updates that have introduced the behaviour that you are experiencing."

Which updates were those? And who reported that? I have not seen any updates causing that.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
pestridge77

Post by pestridge77 »

clive6354 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:08 am No "maybe" about it, LM do not recommend an action without reason, follow the instructions and you will have no problems. There are users who think they know better than the Developers and adopt their own procedures as the correct procedures take a little longer. It is amazing how things go wrong if you do not follow the instructions
I have always downloaded the separate files in the past and installed with no issues, although I dont usually store the files on my pc, they are on separate storage and later on I go back and download the larger file for archive purposes to use if I need them. The issues I have been facing are a direct result of the LIVE streaming I have been doing where I am showing people things from the menu system in a flight and not moving the files I download to the separate drive but keeping them locally.... As soon as I moved the files to my correct drive they no longer show a corrupt message when repairing sim and Ive tested that twice....

Again, I have no issue with 5.1, its been the way Ive used it or the OS that has caused errors...