Random engine shutdowns

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Vostok

Random engine shutdowns

Post by Vostok »

Hi,

New here, so please say if Im doing anything wrong.

Ive seen a few threads relating to this but couldnt see a resolution.

So Im having random engine shutdowns. I used to have this on P3D V3 but in P3d V5 its far too often and on ALL my models from freeware to just flight and Carenado.

I used to think it was not having the electrical system on but even with all batteries and gens on it still happens. Also tried all pumps and x feeds but to no avail.

Sometimes I can get it the engines running by holding CTRL+E but then it will fail in a few seconds or if im lucky in a cruise.

Im also using Air Hauler 2 but I get this issue with or without it. Also tried auto mixture on and off

Thanks
I sell regional jets as a day job but flying them in P3D is more satisfying.
Martyson

Re: Random engine shutdowns

Post by Martyson »

Vostok wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:09 pm Hi,

New here, so please say if Im doing anything wrong.

Ive seen a few threads relating to this but couldnt see a resolution.

So Im having random engine shutdowns. I used to have this on P3D V3 but in P3d V5 its far too often and on ALL my models from freeware to just flight and Carenado.

I used to think it was not having the electrical system on but even with all batteries and gens on it still happens. Also tried all pumps and x feeds but to no avail.

Sometimes I can get it the engines running by holding CTRL+E but then it will fail in a few seconds or if im lucky in a cruise.

Im also using Air Hauler 2 but I get this issue with or without it. Also tried auto mixture on and off

Thanks
What phase of flight when it happens?
Is it single or multi engine shutdowns?
Is it temperature / altitude related?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
obinder

Post by obinder »

Vostok wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:09 pm Im having random engine shutdowns.
Are you using Carenado models as AI? Or do you have an addon that potentially creates them as AI or as static models (WAMA, LorbyLiveTraffic, possibly AirHauler)?

If Carenado aircraft are created in the sim other than as your own vehicle, they pull the Mixture to 0%. This seems to be some kind of copy protection mechanism.

Best regards
Oliver Binder
Lorby-SI
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

In addition to what Oliver said, some Carenado aircraft require a patch to make them v. 5 compatible. Take a look at the Carenado site.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Vostok

Post by Vostok »

Hi, Thanks for the responses.

So its typically at startup but also happens during cruise. Not altitude or temp related as Ive tried many models and many airports.

As I said its with all models not just Carenado.

I didnt set anything to be additional AI unless Carenado adds them by default, How can I check this?

Thanks
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Vostok wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:40 pm Hi, Thanks for the responses.

So its typically at startup but also happens during cruise. Not altitude or temp related as Ive tried many models and many airports.

I didnt set anything to be additional AI unless Carenado adds them by default, How can I check this?

Thanks
Is your default flight the LM F35 at KRND?
Best Regards,
geloxo

Post by geloxo »

Check if you have enabled the option "Engine stress damages engine" under the realism settings. If it is enabled in that case you may be pushing the engines too much, or operating them wrongly, so this could be causing the failures after some time.

I have seen this behaviour just today with Nemeth Puma helicopter: I got one turbine down after a hard push on the collective and overspeed hold for few minutes of flight.

Cheers
Intel i9-9900K, Nvidia RTX2080Ti, 32 Gb DDR4, Windows 10 64bit
Vostok

Post by Vostok »

Martyson wrote:
Vostok wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:40 pm Hi, Thanks for the responses.

Thanks
Is your default flight the LM F35 at KRND?

Yes that is the default

geloxo wrote: Check if you have enabled the option "Engine stress damages engine" under the realism settings. If it is enabled in that case you may be pushing the engines too much, or operating them wrongly, so this could be causing the failures after some time.

I have seen this behaviour just today with Nemeth Puma helicopter: I got one turbine down after a hard push on the collective and overspeed hold for few minutes of flight.

Cheers

Im fairly sure this isnt to do with any 'real world' or 'simulated' shutdown as it mainly happens when simply trying to start the engines. I have tried with the stress option on and off.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

If you start with the default flight (F35 at KRND) does the engine shut down?
Best Regards,
Vostok

Post by Vostok »

Martyson wrote: If you start with the default flight (F35 at KRND) does the engine shut down?

Hi, It doesnt or at least hasnt yet.