Automatic cfg tweaks

Post your feature requests here. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be commented on or that requested features will be implemented.
Armincles

Post by Armincles »

I would really like it if the cfg was tweaked to suit the system by the PreparedV2x itself, somewhat like the Bojote tweak tool that you could implement for FSX see here: http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html. Having to add tweaks manually with the trial and error method is not everyones cup of tea. Because there are so many different setups in hardware etc i think its necessary as we all need slightly different cfg setting to get the most out of the sim.

All other adjustments necessary can still be made with the normal sliders.
Saul

Post by Saul »

P3Dv2.x does have some built in tweaking so there's no real need to edit the cfg file doing so can cause negative effects.

Regards,

Saul
Micky

Post by Micky »

This has been requested by me, see what they've answered.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingle ... pic&t=3587
Armincles

Post by Armincles »

Yes I agree Saul,unfortunately we still do need tweaks, I currently have a few that do help, they are actually not only different settings but new entries like Affinity mask, High Mem fix, Disable preload(Not performance related), Terrain Max Autogen Trees/Buildings per cell. I had to get these tweaks to make things run smoothly and I do not have OOMs althought my system is due for an upgrade.

So the idea was for these things to be added automatically if a lower end system is in use which the sim should detect. So if you move your in game sliders in a lower end/minimum spec system, Max settings would be a different value than a slider used in a high end system, if you know what I mean?

Because of the many problems encountered in getting the sim to run smoothly everyone tries to get a fix somewhere tweaks are one of them , but I would prefer to just start up and fly like most and let the sim do the tweaking.

patmarkus

Post by patmarkus »

I think you stated precisely why we do not have this option in your original request.

As pretty much all computers are different, it is impossible for LM to make an auto cfg tweak tool, because there is no way to test it on all these different systems and guarantee that they will be stable and improve performance.

I for one would also really not like this at all, because I want to know what is going on in my CFG and not have the software make changes by itself.

I think that when it comes to CFG and other tweaks, they should be viewed as extras.

The software doesn't work very well out of the box now, but I am sure it will half a year from now or so.

By then most users should not fool around with tweaks anymore, unless you have the knowledge how to do it, at which point it's up to you to get more out of the sim that standard config.

I don't really see how P3D could do this itself.
Snave

Post by Snave »

Echo what patmarkus says:

1: If you don't know what you are doing, you can only do wrong.

So don't do it.

2: If you are relying on someone else to do it for you, the most likely scenario is 1:

How does an automatic process help YOU out of a jam it's got you in?

If it was that automatic and credible, surely it wouldn't have got you in it in the first place? The fact that it did shows you how much use it actually was to begin with.

3: Part of the educational role of the product may be to consider how one learns to manipulate the optimisations...

4: More than 90% of recommendations made only work on some systems, sometimes.

No door is closed to an open mind.
Cats open doors...
Claus KUEPPER

Post by Claus KUEPPER »

We had this discussion many times before, everywhere, and I also started a post about a year ago of please including an automated tweaking as a favour for the future clients of p3dv2.

I recommended an intelligent downstream tweaking software (not only passiv and assuming but measuring and (inter-) actively changing parameters).

The statement: "you can not have an automated tweaking because of so many setups out there" is IMO only partitially right. I always use the comparisons with "cars". If you sell a car you should be responsible for the performance. Saying "just buy it" and "the mileage is up to you" is somewhat 70's style.

Customer satisfaction may not be delivered with intentionally built in DIY hours, days, weeks and months of user input. This kind of banana product thinking (ripes at client) should be a thing of the past.

Impossible? No! A big peace of work? Yes!
WarpD

Post by WarpD »

You didn't purchase a car. You purchased a radio for the car. Big, big difference.
Ed Wilson
Senior Developer
Mindstar Aviation
rorichts

Post by rorichts »

More accurately the computer for the car
Claus KUEPPER

Post by Claus KUEPPER »

Quote:
Quote from WarpD on March 24, 2014, 14:23

You didn't purchase a car. You purchased a radio for the car. Big, big difference.

O.K. So have fun tinkering on.

I would prefer a sim that does what it should.

But it is up to everyone's taste, I think.