Installed i7-4790k, fps 12-16? Is this normal?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
zachrussell

Post by zachrussell »

Hi guys, I recently moved on from a amd a10-6700 3.8ghz, and upgraded intel i7-4790k processor in a hm97 motherboard.I have kept the same graphics card(EVGA overclocked 760 gtx 2gb) I then over clocked the processor in bios to 4.5ghz,and started up prepar3d. I have rex4, active sky next, uk2000 heathrow extreme and airbus x a320 all running in Prepar3d with medium settings across display. Going from what I had read I expected at least 20fps, but I am sad to see I am still only getting around 12-16fps whilst at heathrow. Once I get into the air the FPS increase to around 25. Is this normal, and is this what I should expect? Is it my GPU that is causing Prear3d to run at such low fps still?

Any help and advise would be appreciated,

Many thanks,

zach
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

What do you get with a default prop aircraft at the default airport without ASN .. (just clear sky)?

BTW, I was going .. thinking about that CPU for an upgrade also .. or maybe i75820.

I get your FPS but my current CPU is 4 years old (i7 2600 3.4GHz)...
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
zachrussell

Post by zachrussell »

I get around 50-60 fps with the situation you described , but in truth I expected more. I have just downloaded Nvidia inspector and I have loaded in the recommended settings for Prepar3d on the Prepar3d exe, I'm going to see if that makes a difference.
zachrussell

Post by zachrussell »

Hi guys, I recently moved on from a amd a10-6700 3.8ghz, and upgraded intel i7-4790k processor in a hm97 motherboard.I have kept the same graphics card(EVGA overclocked 760 gtx 2gb) I then over clocked the processor in bios to 4.5ghz,and started up prepar3d. I have rex4, active sky next, uk2000 heathrow extreme and airbus x a320 all running in Prepar3d with medium settings across display. Going from what I had read I expected at least 20fps, but I am sad to see I am still only getting around 12-16fps whilst at heathrow. Once I get into the air the FPS increase to around 25. Is this normal, and is this what I should expect? Is it my GPU that is causing Prear3d to run at such low fps still?

Any help and advise would be appreciated,

Many thanks,

zach
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Yep, I get 50 and above with the defaults also with the old CPU.

What were you getting with your old CPU?

Best Regards,
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Just for ref:

initially I linked the other post ... sorry about that.
Best Regards,
zachrussell

Post by zachrussell »

With Nvidia inspector recommended settings I have increased performance to 17fps now. However I still expected more. I wonder if its my GPU although I read everywhere Prepar3d is heavily CPU dependant.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

I would expect your new CPU to be doing better too.

If you start a flight with your normal addons and a payware aircraft (complex) cold and dark what are your FPS?

The after you lite off all the avionics and program FMS e.g. what are you FPS (ready to taxi)?

I am testing it now in FSX and P3D ... so far in FSX I go from 28 FPS to 18 FPS..... (bad news!).

Edit: did you keep your old memory and put it on the new MB?
Did you do the PC upgrade yourself?

Best Regards,
zachrussell

Post by zachrussell »

Cold and dark the fps is around 3 frames higher.
Yes I kept my old memory, is this likely to make a difference?
I did the Pc upgrade myself also.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

The CPU you installed should have (double check to be sure) DDR3 memory ... what type did you use from your old setup?

Best Regards,
zachrussell

Post by zachrussell »

Yes the memory was the same for the previous setup, they are both DDR3.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Have you tested the CPU .. I use Core Temp to check the freq and temperature to verify all cores are firing and not melting (bad fan stuff) ....

Also might want to give Prime95 a try ...
Best Regards,