Is this enough?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Last2Night

Post by Last2Night »

Hello.
I currently have MSI Gaming notebook with i7 4700MQ, 12GB DDR3, nVidia GTX770m 3GB DDR5 and 1TB SSD Samsung. I've been using FSX for some time now with no major issues and decided to move on to P3D. With P3D i cant seem to achieve even simply flyable conditions. The FPS im getting on default scenery inside of stock F22are around 20 on mid settings and 40 on low settings, however the moment i jump into Carenado B1900D, FPS drops down to 15 on low settings and down to 10 on mid settings. Loading F22 on FlyTampa's CYYZ takes it down to 15FPS on any settings except mid+, on mid+ the sim crashes with out of memory error. B1900d on FlyTampa's CYYZ sits around 8-10FPS.

Here is the question. In case i will buy this sweet notebook http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=085307 , will i be able to run P3D 2.5 on max settings?

Thanks in advance.
capt_Cronic

Post by capt_Cronic »

no one can run on max settings and have good framerates unless you spend a fortune on the latest greatest hardware.
if you get 25-30 fps in p3d, your doing pretty good.
be warned,
people have spend alot of money upgrading hardware only to find they get very little increase in fps.
the key is to fine tune the settings to your pc until you get acceptable fps

also, do your adjusting on a stock instal first, no addons what so ever.
you need to get a good base setup before installing addons that affect performance
in different ways.
Last2Night

Post by Last2Night »

capt Cronic
Im not expecting 60FPS on max settings, only those flyable 20-30. Im getting 40+ fps on stock content using mid settings. I can even tune B1900D up to 18-20fps on low settings stationed on a stock airport, however the moment i move it to FlyTampa's CYYZ, no matter what i do i cant get it to pass the 10fps mark. Cant tell if other payware sceneries will cause the same effect as this is the only one i have.
Last2Night

Post by Last2Night »

I forgot to mention that i also use REX4 textures, ORBX Global+Vector. As well as ASN, however i didnt run ASN while tuning P3D.
komplik

Post by komplik »

I have i7-4790k and GTX980 gaming... I'm not happy with visual result when flying with P3D... I can't set many things and most wanted Sparse Grid Supersampling. It works fine while I do not fly with heavy clouds or clouds enhanced by Active Sky Next. I need two GTX980 in SLI at minumum, but current look is compromis between quality and cost.

I think that notebook wich you want to buy have very low CPU frequency and single thread performance is not excelent as for desktop i7 and it is needed for P3D. 4GHz is good start :)

I think you can achieve 30FPS locked with your setup wit decent settings and wit low anti aliasing which is enough for smooth edges but suffers from shimmering. Of course in heavy areas like LAS you will have big issues due frequency of your CPU, but it is problem for best desktop ones too.
i7-4790k@4.5GHz, GTX1080, custom water cooling, 24GB RAM, 3xSSD, W10
capt_Cronic

Post by capt_Cronic »

turn off ground shadows and turn off clouds (set weather to clear skies) see what happens
when I fly my pmdg products, I have to set clear skies to get 25 fps

system specs;
ASUS P8Z77-VLK, I5-3570k @ 4.4ghz, 16gb 1600, GTX 570 2560MB, 2x OCZ Vertex 4 128Mb SSD SATA 3,
WD 500GB SATA 3, Win 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Last2Night

Post by Last2Night »

komplik, i've read in one of the posts here that LM changed the way the game loads up your PC and it now puts most of it on to GPU rather than on CPU. Basically i wonder if those 24GB of RAM and GTX980M will do the trick...

capt Cronic
Setting everything on low including texture res(512x512), weather off - B1900D stationed on gate B15 in CYYZ (FlyTampa) - 18FPS, increase of 2 fps as im getting with weather on, clouds draw distance - 80mi, clouds density - maximum. So clouds barely affect fps.
As far as my tuning goes - changing settings from the lowest level up to almost the highest and using payware A/C and scenery changes almost nothing, the difference is around 5-8fps in total. The major fps drop occurs whenever i load up any of the 3rd party addons (except ASN).
Last2Night

Post by Last2Night »

Dont know how but i've managed to get a stable decent FPS. Overall settings are 1 tick higher than the lowest, weather 80mi + max. cloud density, shadows 1 tick higher then the lowest as well as water details. Texture filtering - trilinear, MSAA - none. Getting not less then 20FPS anywhere on FLyTampa's CYYZ. Not less than 16FPS inside B1900D(Carenada)/A321(Aerosoft) while stationed at one of the gates at FlyTampa's CYYZ. At FL040 FPS goes higher than 30, at FL150+ im getting 50-60FPS.

Thanks for everyone's help! 2300$ stays on my bank account :)