Maximum LOD_RADIUS in P3D v6?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
McMaster

Maximum LOD_RADIUS in P3D v6?

Post by McMaster »

I'm interested in moving to Prepar3D v6, and if I recall correctly, in v3 and later the LOD_RADIUS parameter was locked to 6.500. In v6 is it possible to go higher than that, especially now with the 64-bit architecture and DirectX 12? Thanks!
JorgenSA

Re: Maximum LOD_RADIUS in P3D v6?

Post by JorgenSA »

As far as I can see in my v. 6, there is a hard ceiling at LOD 6.5 - but maybe that will change?

My LOD Radius is set to Max. in the Options screens, and when I look in prepar3d.cfg, it says 6.5.

Jorgen
McMaster

Post by McMaster »

Thank you for the reply. Despite the LOD not going above 6.500 in the menu (which I think has been that way since v2), is it possible to force a higher value by editing the CFG, like it was in FSX?

If it's not that would be rather disappointing. There should be a lot more headroom for better LOD without the 4GB VAS limit.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

You know, I haven't even thought about editing prepar3d.cfg to increase the value.

It's getting into the evening here, so I am going to give that a shot tomorrow and will report back with the result.

Jorgen
McMaster

Post by McMaster »

Much appreciated! Looking forward to your testing results.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

I changed the LOD Radius in prepar3d.cfg to 8.5 and flew the default flight out of KDCA.

It seemed to work fine, there was an increase in VRAM used (to be expected), and the flight itself seemed to be smoother.

So, after I shut P3D down, I checked prepar3d.cfg, and the value wa still set at 8.5, so not forced back.

Now, this is a out-of-the-box v. 6 installation, except for the tweaked prepar3d.cfg. Later today, I am going to test the same thing with v. 5, where I have a ton of add-ons and see what effect it has there.

Jorgen
pestridge77

Post by pestridge77 »

In v4 I used to use a value of 14.5 and in V5 I sometimes use 8.5. In v6 its the same as the others where you can change the value quite high if you want too. The higher you go, the higher the vram goes so be careful if you have a low to mid card.

Mine is currently set to 7.5 with good results in both v5 and in v6.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

I tried v. 5 with a LOD Radius of 8.5, and (subjectively) it seemed that the flight was much smoother.

It was of course difficult to see any substantial changes at those distances, but, as the penalty in VRAM usage turned out to be quite minimal, I am going to leave this setting as it is now.

Jorgen
McMaster

Post by McMaster »

Thank you for your replies, it is good to see that the LOD is not locked anymore!