Sim Object Aircraft Not Shown 5.1 HF1

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Doc_Z

Sim Object Aircraft Not Shown 5.1 HF1

Post by Doc_Z »

The scenario screen aircraft drop down list does not include any aircraft such as the PMDGs and a few others that were installed into the sim directly, not by the xml add-on method. Those aircraft are in the SimObjects folder of the P3d v5 folder. All of the aircraft in the P3d v5 add-ons folder in Documents do show up in the drop down list. Do all those others need to be reinstalled?
Martyson

Re: Sim Object Aircraft Not Shown 5.1 HF1

Post by Martyson »

Doc_Z wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:23 pm The scenario screen aircraft drop down list does not include any aircraft such as the PMDGs and a few others that were installed into the sim directly, not by the xml add-on method. Those aircraft are in the SimObjects folder of the P3d v5 folder. All of the aircraft in the P3d v5 add-ons folder in Documents do show up in the drop down list. Do all those others need to be reinstalled?
@ Doc_Z ,

My PMDG aircraft are there. All OK.

How did you do the P3D update?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Doc_Z

Post by Doc_Z »

Uninstalled v5 through Windows Apps and Features -- client, content scenery, academic. Installed Academic 5.1.12.26829. Deleted P3d v5.cfg file. Ran as administrator.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Doc_Z,

Not everything was gone, I suspect.

After this post I am pasting a document in showing you how to remove everything completely, and then do the reinstall.

Jorgen

This is how I perform a clean install on Prepar3D v. 5, if you have v. 4 just say "v4" where the instructions say "v5".

READ EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU PROCEED.

WARNING: A clean install will mean just that - beware that all add-ons will not reappear in P3D, you will need to re-add or reinstall them, and that is beyond the scope of this tutorial.

If you're doing a clean uninstall-reinstall because your installation was damaged in some drastic way, for instance a disk crash, some parts of this process will seem superfluous. Just follow the steps that are relevant - it will be obvious which are. But, if your installation was damaged to the extent that you cannot uninstall completely, then you may have a license issue. To resolve that, email the licensing department at licensing@prepar3d.com.

When you have downloaded your new sim, do not bother with checking checksums, unless you have a suspicion that something went wrong during the download. Modern-day browsers, no matter which one, will tell you if that happens, and the utility you use for unpacking will also tell you.

I have my P3D v. 5 on my H: drive, a dedicated SSD. It is in a folder called P3D V5. For your installation substitute your own installation location, but - IMPORTANT - do NOT install to the default location of C:\Program Files. If you had P3D installed there, then install to somewhere else when you reinstall, for instance to C:\P3D.

The whole process begins with going to the Control Panel and uninstalling the old version: first uninstall the SDK, then Scenery, Content, Client and Professional Plus (or Academic) in that order.

Remove whatever remains under the folder P3D V5.

If you have moved your Documents folder, go to its new location and remove it from there.

Go to the root of C: drive, in the Search box in the top right-hand corner type "Prepar3D v5" (without the quotation marks) in Windows Explorer (that is File Explorer, not Internet Explorer). Delete everything that is found. Some items cannot be deleted, go Skip on those items.

Empty your Temp folders (not really necessary, but they should be emptied once in a while).

Empty your Recycle Bin.

Clean Registry, using Eusing's Free Registry Cleaner. (This is the one I use, there are plenty of others).

Reboot.

Right-click on P3D's Setup_Prepar3D.exe and select Run as Administrator, and on the first screen, under Options, select to install in the P3D V5 folder on the H: drive. This is for my own use, see above for installing on another drive.

When the installation is finished. go into the P3D v5 folder, create a folder named SDK, install SDK to there.

Right-click on the Prepar3D icon on the desktop, select Properties. Go to the Compatibility tab, put a check mark in the box "Run this program as Administrator". Click Apply, then OK.

Start P3D, fly the default flight out of KRND (KVPS if v. 4) for a couple of minutes. Shut down P3D, reboot.

Go into the SDK subfolder, right-click on ConfigureSDK.exe and select Run as Administrator. Answer Yes to the question that comes up.

Now you are ready to explore the world of Prepar3D.

If you reinstalled P3D because you experienced problems with add-ons, then test the flights where you experienced problems BEFORE you install ANY add-ons. Install your add-ons ONE AT A TIME, testing between each.
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Doc_Z

Post by Doc_Z »

I did almost all of that. Didn't bother with the SDK part. Add-on aircraft shouldn't disappear with the reinstall, should they? If so, why to the .xml add-ons remain?
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Great, and the SDK part is not really necessary.

Add-ons added with the .xml method remains, but others have to be reinstalled.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Doc_Z

Post by Doc_Z »

Thanks. I usually only update the client, but this time decided to go the whole route. The aircraft are still int he SimObjects folder, should they be removed from there?
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Ah, then you didn't delete everything completely during the uninstall.

In my instructions, after uninstalling things via the control panel, I say:

"Remove whatever remains under the folder P3D V5."

Jorgen

Doc_Z

Post by Doc_Z »

Right, I didn't delete the folder since I never had to reinstall those planes when only doing client update. In other words, anything installed in the P3d v5 folder has to be reinstalled?
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

JorgenSA wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:12 pm Ah, then you didn't delete everything completely during the uninstall.

In my instructions, after uninstalling things via the control panel, I say:

"Remove whatever remains under the folder P3D V5."

Jorgen
""Remove whatever remains under the folder P3D V5."

Just to verify, do you have PMDG aircraft installed?

If pilots have PMDG aircraft previously installed you do not tell them to do that.
Last edited by Martyson on Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards,
Doc_Z

Post by Doc_Z »

@Martyson Then why don't the PMDG and others not show up?
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Doc_Z wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:27 pm @Martyson Then why don't the PMDG and others not show up?
@ Doc_Z ,

Look inside one of your PMDG aircraft folders (in the P3D main folder).
What is there?

Edit:
Are you using P3Dv4 and V5 or just P3Dv5?
Best Regards,
Doc_Z

Post by Doc_Z »

All the normal folders, etc. I am using just P3d v5, although the v4 folder still exits, not the .exe though.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Doc_Z wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:36 pm All the normal folders, etc. I am using just P3d v5, although the v4 folder still exits, not the .exe though.
@ Doc_Z ,

Look inside one of your PMDG aircraft folders (in the P3Dv4 main folder).
What is there?

Look inside one of your PMDG aircraft folders (in the P3Dv5 main folder).
What is there?

Screenshots would be helpful.
Best Regards,
Doc_Z

Post by Doc_Z »

Only model in v4. Do I have to go through the process of uploading to an image site, etc. to post a screenshot?