v4.1: autogen still loading late and in patches

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Viper7

Re: v4.1: autogen still loading late and in patches

Post by Viper7 »

Further to my comment above, this is with stock standard P3d V4.1 WITH NO ADD ONS.
jgoggi

Post by jgoggi »

Please LM, consider this as a priority fix in the next update! Instead of updating a lot of items that have no importance, the autogen issue should be priority 1, because otherwise the autogen slider must be kept at medium and one can't enjoy the new feature of autogen at far distance brought by the 64 bit!
Once again, this issue occurs after descending from high altitudes and, as reported by many, is not depending on the system power, but it is a Prepar3D bug!
zap737

Post by zap737 »

jgoggi wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:17 am Please LM, consider this as a priority fix in the next update! Instead of updating a lot of items that have no importance, the autogen issue should be priority..

Couldn't agree more. It is a coding issue as it happens with stock standard P3D V4.1 install with NO add-ons.

If you can replicate the way the autogen grows smoothly and in a line at medium settings and apply that to the higher settings, you will fix the issue.

As it stands, the way it loads in patches and it extremely immersion-destroying.

Please fix this as a priority.
Asus Z370-A | 8700K @ 5.0 Ghz | 32GB DDR 4 | GTX 1080TI | 4K Monitor @ 30Hz | Samsung 970 EVO | Track IR 5 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil Mongoose Stick | TM Warthog Throttle | MFG X-Wind Rudder Pedals | Orbx Global | Orbx Vector | Orbx OpenLC NA, EU
sw34669

Post by sw34669 »

Ive been having the same issues with my 2 x 980ti's since 4.1 and have regressed back to 4 and also tried 4.1 stock to confirm theres an autogen performance issue. I tried the MaxTextureLoad tweak which improved it a little but if im descending into a high autogen area, I get chunkalitus (medical term for frame loss) and large sections of square real estate popping up then filling out. Even cranking my autogen back im still having issues so I guess this is an optimization issue that needs to be addressed.

If I pan away from an area and then pan back, the autgen needs to re-cache, this shows that scenery is being dropped from its cache too quickly (and I have 2GB of VRAM free and plenty ram free). Ive also tried the prev few versions of the Nvidia driver stack and its always the same.

We love V(6)4, but can we have this looked at please for all of us whom have 2Kw PC's :)
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

sw34669 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:12 pm Ive been having the same issues with my 2 x 980ti's since 4.1 and have regressed back to 4 and also tried 4.1 stock to confirm theres an autogen performance issue. I tried the MaxTextureLoad tweak which improved it a little but if im descending into a high autogen area, I get chunkalitus (medical term for frame loss) and large sections of square real estate popping up then filling out. Even cranking my autogen back im still having issues so I guess this is an optimization issue that needs to be addressed.

If I pan away from an area and then pan back, the autgen needs to re-cache, this shows that scenery is being dropped from its cache too quickly (and I have 2GB of VRAM free and plenty ram free). Ive also tried the prev few versions of the Nvidia driver stack and its always the same.

We love V(6)4, but can we have this looked at please for all of us whom have 2Kw PC's :)
Are you testing with default P3D4.1 scenery?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
sw34669

Post by sw34669 »

Martyson wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:21 pm
sw34669 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:12 pm Ive been having the same issues with my 2 x 980ti's since 4.1 and have regressed back to 4 and also tried 4.1 stock to confirm theres an autogen performance issue. I tried the MaxTextureLoad tweak which improved it a little but if im descending into a high autogen area, I get chunkalitus (medical term for frame loss) and large sections of square real estate popping up then filling out. Even cranking my autogen back im still having issues so I guess this is an optimization issue that needs to be addressed.

Are you testing with default P3D4.1 scenery?
yes as i said above i went back a version and also tried 4.1 stock (stock = no addons)

The first thing I noticed in 4.1 after upgrading was this autogen issue whilst flying into LAX.

ive gone back to 4 now .
zap737

Post by zap737 »

Martyson wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:21 pm Are you testing with default P3D4.1 scenery?

I too have tested with default scenery and stock P3D V4.1 install and NO add-ons and the problem is there.

Request LM makes this a priority to fix.
Asus Z370-A | 8700K @ 5.0 Ghz | 32GB DDR 4 | GTX 1080TI | 4K Monitor @ 30Hz | Samsung 970 EVO | Track IR 5 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil Mongoose Stick | TM Warthog Throttle | MFG X-Wind Rudder Pedals | Orbx Global | Orbx Vector | Orbx OpenLC NA, EU
AnkH

Post by AnkH »

The thing that really drive me nuts is that obviously not all are affected by this bug (same as "my" terrain reflection issue...). I just have done a re-installation of everything Prepar3d-related including all my addons and still the issue persists (as well as the terrain reflection bug). So, why the heck some do not observe this? I btw. even lowered my settings a notch (all sliders one position to the left compared to the installation before), really reducing the load and yet this bloody autogen loads in patches. I simply do not get this...
------------------
Chris

Hardware: i7 8700K@5.0GHz, 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14 RAM, Gigabyte Aorus GTX-1080Ti OC, Samsung SSDs (250GB for OS, 2TB for P3D), Windows 10 Home
Mike Sierra

Post by Mike Sierra »

Hi Chris,
AnkH wrote: The thing that really drive me nuts is that obviously not all are affected by this bug (same as "my" terrain reflection issue...).
I'm quite sure that EVERYBODY has this issue, only some of them either don't care or keep silent.
I've also got the terrain reflection issue, still trying to find out about reproducibility and a way to illustrate the problem via video clip.
AnkH wrote: ....and yet this bloody autogen loads in patches. I simply do not get this...
I think that autogen - as well as any scenery item - will ALWAYS load in patches. Only in the original plan, it would have been so far in the distance that no one would be able to discern the patches, producing the illusion, that the autogen was there all the time. The problem is, that we are flying too fast for P3D to keep up with loading the autogen ;o)
To be serious, even 180 knots is too fast...
At the moment I'm trying reduced autogen settings in density and autogen radius (a tip from the FTX forum) which _might_ reduce the patches problem - I'll report.
Michael.
N 48°10' E 13°30' 496m
Austria, Europe
-vv-
ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900KF, 8x 5,0GHz, Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4-4400, 2x ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 (SLI) @ 7680x1440, Win10prof64 on 1TB SSD, P3Dv5.3.7... on Samsung M.2 2TB, Saitek cockpit
pmb

Post by pmb »

Mike Sierra wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:15 am I think that autogen - as well as any scenery item - will ALWAYS load in patches. Only in the original plan, it would have been so far in the distance that no one would be able to discern the patches, producing the illusion,
I don't think necessarily so. Here are two videos which I made for comparion, one from Prepar3d3.4

http://michael-basler.net/Flight_Simula ... par3d3.mp4

and one from Prepar3d4.1

http://michael-basler.net/Flight_Simula ... oading.mp4

which I already posted in another thread. While 3.4 had a quite limited autogen radius, autogen did fade in fluently and uniformly.

Kind regards, Michael
Prepar3d4+5 Pro // Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung2 SSD 500 GB + SSD 1 TB + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64
sw34669

Post by sw34669 »

pmb wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:43 am
Mike Sierra wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:15 am I think that autogen - as well as any scenery item - will ALWAYS load in patches. Only in the original plan, it would have been so far in the distance that no one would be able to discern the patches, producing the illusion,
I don't think necessarily so. Here are two videos which I made for comparion, one from Prepar3d3.4

http://michael-basler.net/Flight_Simula ... par3d3.mp4

and one from Prepar3d4.1

http://michael-basler.net/Flight_Simula ... oading.mp4

which I already posted in another thread. While 3.4 had a quite limited autogen radius, autogen did fade in fluently and uniformly.

Kind regards, Michael
Michael

Thanks for taking the time to record this .... this is exactly what im seeing, the blocky loading of black untextured buildings that really make the pop-in stick out, then the textures catch up. In V4 I dont see this but since 4.1 I do.

I really notice this in dense areas like Las Vegas where the strip hotels turn black and need to pop in every time you look away and look back. It feels like a texture cache flushing issue along with autogen loading in blocks rather than a moving radius.

LM - can you see the same in high perf setups and what can we do about it.
AnkH

Post by AnkH »

The irritating thing for me is the fact that I am pretty sure I did not have this issue when initially switching/updating to v4.1, but only later. I however can not remember what addon I potentially installed or what setting I potentially changed that could have led to this issue. I even did a complete new install of P3Dv4.1 some weeks ago including elimination of all files residing on the C:\ drive in AppData and ProgramData. Means: a brand new, unaffected installation...
------------------
Chris

Hardware: i7 8700K@5.0GHz, 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14 RAM, Gigabyte Aorus GTX-1080Ti OC, Samsung SSDs (250GB for OS, 2TB for P3D), Windows 10 Home
jgoggi

Post by jgoggi »

Don't forget that, besides appearing in blocks, if the slider is above Medium the autogen does NOT appear when descending after some time spent in cruise (at least in my case with the PMDG 747). If I keep the drawing distance at Medium, then it's ok, but Medium means going back to P3D v3...
AnkH

Post by AnkH »

Quick guess: do you guys use a TextureMaxLoad or even a TextureBandwidthMult tweak inside your prepar3d.cfg? It might that my autogen drawing issue appeared when I tried to eliminate the black textures on airports by introducing TextureMaxLoad=48 as suggested in other forums. I have to go through some of those tweaks again...
------------------
Chris

pmb

Post by pmb »

I don't use any TextureMaxLoad tweak (as it didn't eliminate black buildings for me, btw.). I also don't observe the autogen disappearing when descending, but that's probably a result of the fact I only fly slow GA. (Any GA pilots observing this?) I do observe loading in patches, though, but even this only in extended plains like in the video (Silicon Valley).

Kind regards, Michael
Prepar3d4+5 Pro // Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung2 SSD 500 GB + SSD 1 TB + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64