Getting Started ?

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
Mr J

Post by Mr J »

Having just joined the forum as a means of assessing the P3D availabilities and use, I can honestly say I am way ou of my depth. Do we have a beginers guide to make life any easier.

A little bit of background, I run an Air Cadet Squadron in the UK, and we have always used FSX for training purposes and simulation use and I wondered whether the move to P3D is next step.

I am looking for a simulation that can be LAN linked without the need for a server, but can be accessed over the net, Ideally with Air Traffic Capabilities. Shared cockpit is a must for instructional purposes.

Our current hardware includes all GoFlight panels, Saitek controllers (X65F) and TrackIR 5, are these all compatable with P3D. ?

Which version do I go for "Full" or "Academic" and what difference would we notice ?

Is P3D compatable to be linked with FS9 / FSX in multiplayer mode so that I could connect with other potential users who have not migrated to P3D ?

Soory for all the questions, but I can safely say that I am a beginner at simulation on a dedicated scale, only use it for training purposes.
jimcooper1

Post by jimcooper1 »

I think the question you need to ask yourself is: "What do I want to achieve with my Flight Simulator that I can't do with FSX?" Is there some aspect of your FSX setup that is not working properly that you hope P3D could resolve? Or is there a functionality that FSX is not providing that you think might be available in P3D?

Certainly Go-Flight are not natively supporting P3D (the last time I looked!!) although you can get Go-Flight modules working IF you've already got FSX installed. Similarly your TeackIR may or may not work, there are plenty of posts on this forum where some have it working and some don't. Many users are also experiencing difficulties with their controllers too. A migration to P3D will not be without its challenges, there are many reasons why you mght need to change simulator and P3D might be the answer, but first I'd look at what does your current simulator NOT do that you must remedy. I wouldn't recommend change for the sake of change!

As for the question on Multi-Player compatibility I have no idea but a forum member who would probably know is FSMP (which I'm assuming is an acornym for Flight Simulation Multi-Player???)

regards

Jim