Gauge lighting - worked in V5, not in any version of V6

For topics related to the creation of simulation objects (SimObjects). This includes development of aircraft, ground, and maritime vehicles.
quid21

Gauge lighting - worked in V5, not in any version of V6

Post by quid21 »

Hi,

I'm struggling here. To redo the incrementally adjusted gauge brightness on my product is quite a lot of work.

In FSX, and all versions of P3D until V6 the following method worked for adjusting the brightness of virtual cockpit gauges. This method was originally developed I believe by Bill Leaming and possibly by Lotussim many years ago.

The gauge lighting is created by visibility objects with a material positioned in front of each gauge.

As you rotate the intensity knob, the gauge was lit up brighter and brighter by multiple textured objects.

The materials were set as additive, invsrcalpha, source blend destination color.

This made the material light up the texture on the gauge behind it.

In V6 the object is lit but you can't see behind it. Just looks like an opaque light for each gauge rather than lighting up the texture map behind it!

Has any one else seen this or know how to fix without redoing the whole lighting system for what seems to be a bug in V6?

This method was also used in FSX and probably P3D for landing light splashes on the ground.

Thanks. I'd love to hear from someone at LM in case this bug might get fixed.

V5 any version

V6, any version
ppo

Re: Gauge lighting - worked in V5, not in any version of V6

Post by ppo »

The lighting in V6 the latest patches 4,5 and 6 is broken.
Even for their default a/c
and the dawn/dusk is a clear example of LM's inability to control their EA.
I have deleted V6 on my system.
quid21

Post by quid21 »

No idea why, but my screenshots no longer show on the forum, but if you right click the broken link icon and copy the url and paste to a new browser window you can see what I mean.

Be nice if someone from LM might comment on whether this is ever going to be fixed. Even if its going to be looked at.

I've halted work on new products for P3D due to this bug as it affects workflow when designing the cockpit.
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hello,

Would you be able to PM me a link to download your model so we can take a closer look. If possible please have it packaged as an add-on since installers won't work in our development environment.

Also for posting screenshots we recommend the steps outlined here: https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=141933

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hello,

Thank you for sending us the model to test. We were able to reproduce the issue and will have a fix for this in our next update.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
quid21

Post by quid21 »

Thanks Rob, that is fantastic news!!