South Australia in v6

Forum for Prepar3D Developers to show off their work or post about their add-ons or content created for Prepar3D
NormanLGibson

South Australia in v6

Post by NormanLGibson »

I have produced scenery from 15m Imagery resampled by Earthstar Geographics.

The below screenshots show both default scenery and the scenery produced from15m Imagery.

The imagery shows the earth how it realy is for an economical price and storage space.

eiketre

Re: South Australia in v6

Post by eiketre »

NormanLGibson wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:19 am I have produced scenery from 15m Imagery resampled by Earthstar Geographics.
Hi

This was very interesting.
Could you describe a little more about the process on how to do this?
CPU:Core i9-14900KF RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000Mhz DISK: M.2 SSD OS: Win11
GPU: GeForce RTX 4090 24GB SCREEN: 3x, 85" TV FM: ProSim B38M COCKPIT: B737-MAX-8

Jan
NormanLGibson

Post by NormanLGibson »

eiketre wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:00 pm
NormanLGibson wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:19 am I have produced scenery from 15m Imagery resampled by Earthstar Geographics.
Hi

This was very interesting.
Could you describe a little more about the process on how to do this?
Eiketre,

This type of scenery is best suited for higher altitude flight. I find above 8,000ft is ok.

There are a few methods of producing the scenery depending on your requirement.
1/ The easiest and quickest to produce. 15m imagery for the whole scene. ie below and around your aircraft. The downside of this is at low altitude the resolution is low and there are no autogen trees or buildings.
2/ To produce the scenery at LOD12 which leaves a hole below and around your aircraft, thus you will see your default or Add-On Generic Land Class scenery at lower altitudes and the imagery scenery will begin to show as you climb. This is good if the landclass colors and textures match close to the imagery and the imagery will show more as you gain altitude.
3/ A good balance is to produce LOD12 as a blend and thus show the imagery blended with your underlying Landclass so as not to be as noticeable as you climb and descend then the full imagery will show further out.
Masks are produced using black and white for water and land and grey when a blend is required.

The imagery can be purchased from https://www.terracolor.net/
Specify if it is for private or commercial use. You can specify an areas extent by either Lat/Lon Co-ordinate extents, a kml or kmz file or by state or country.
Imagery Tiles are 1x1deg of Lat/Lon.
The imagery is quoted as "TerraColor NextGen is a seamless, true color satellite imagery map of the entire planet sampled
at a spatial resolution of 15 meters-per-pixel. 1000's satellite scenes have been carefully processed
and color balanced to create a seamless, global mosaic."
You can learn how to produce the scenery via the Prepar3d SDK. You may need masks for water and coastlines. Terracolor.net can produce these for an extra cost.
If you want an area produced, I can do it for you for a quoted fee. Send me a pm.
There are some videos and images in my website link below. Keep in mind these are in Prepar3d v4. The atmosphere and lighting is more advanced in v5 and v6. The default Landclass and autogen appears much better in v6 also.
My earlier sceneries work in v5 and v6 also.
One thing to consider is some countries have lakes that can be dry for many months or years as is the case with some outback lakes in Australia. That area shown in my screenshot comparisons above is an example. If the water mask shows it as water, the lake may not look natural as the water will show according to the default or landclass colors. I haven't got that lake masked thus it shows as imagery. However, once near the lake it will show as water. This is where a blend can be used so that the default water will blend with the imagery color.
I will re-do the screenshot with a blend and show it.
I hope the above helps. If you have plenty of spare time and like learning start reading the wiki.
You could even d/l a sample from Terracolor website and try making a scenery for the sample. There will be no mask with the sample, but the principle is the same. Water will show as imagery water but have no water effects.
I can give a few examples of my blend masks and inf files that are used to produce the scenery bgl files.
My website here https://www.gibsonsceneries.com/
eiketre

Post by eiketre »

Thanks for your help. I will try and see if i can make something.
CPU:Core i9-14900KF RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000Mhz DISK: M.2 SSD OS: Win11
GPU: GeForce RTX 4090 24GB SCREEN: 3x, 85" TV FM: ProSim B38M COCKPIT: B737-MAX-8

Jan
NormanLGibson

Post by NormanLGibson »

eiketre wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:08 pm Thanks for your help. I will try and see if i can make something.
Jan,
If you are going to try one of the TerraColor samples, let me know which sample and I will download and prepare for you the few files that you will need to process the sample imagery.
NormanLGibson

Post by NormanLGibson »

eiketre wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:08 pm Thanks for your help. I will try and see if i can make something.
Eiketre,

I have downloaded San-Francisco and will Put togther the necessary masks and inf files to make a scenery.

If you want to try for yourself, please download this area.

Cheers,

Norm
Rogen

Post by Rogen »

The below screenshots show both default scenery and the scenery produced from15m Imagery.

The imagery shows the earth how it realy is for an economical price and storage space.
Hey there Norm, perchance do you have any more of Australia covered and available?

I do have your existing Aust scneries but there's still a large area not covered.

I would be nice to fly seamlessly from Brisbane to the lower states or across to WA.

Cheers
NormanLGibson

Post by NormanLGibson »

Rogen,

Only SE Australia (NSW, VIC & TAS) andnow SA.

SA will be on the market soon.
NormanLGibson

Post by NormanLGibson »

NormanLGibson wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:14 am Rogen,

Only SE Australia (NSW, VIC & TAS) andnow SA.

SA will be on the market soon.
Rogen,

I sent you a pm.
Rogen

Post by Rogen »

Thanks, details sent.

Cheers