Shift-Z working, but freezes

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
B777ER

Re: Shift-Z working, but freezes

Post by B777ER »

Can't believe we have to go another weekend with all these problems. They need to get the flipping HF out yesterday!
flynryan692

Re: Shift-Z working, but freezes

Post by flynryan692 »

It seems the issues is known and hopefully being worked on but I figure I'll add my own scenario...

I've been suffering from severe stutters, the sim was randomly stuttering so bad it would lock the entire thing up for a good 8+ seconds and repeat this over and over and over in a loop. The first time it happened it persisted for over an hour, during which I found this thread...I didn't have the shift_z text displayed, but during the stuttering I tried to open it to see if there was any affect, nothing happened, but eventually it did pop up and the stutters went away. I was able to do flights without issues over the next few days, and then yesterday it happened again. I could not get the shift-z menu to reappear this time.

Because of the stutters my plane wasn't moving at the speed it should be, it was lagging. I watched my progress with and without stutters using Volanta, and it made it clear that minimizing temporarily fixed it because P3D wasn't rendering anything on the screen until I brought up P3D and it started rendering again.

I disabled the menu HTML as suggested here, and in P3D under Information I disabled the upper right text (where it displays information about your current view) and started another flight today. My FPS was a perfect 36, frame times at a perfect 27.7ms, except when I hit my brakes and the BRAKES text appear, I'd get a nasty stutter and a large frame time spike. I also disabled that text in the Information section and that issue went away, no stutter or frame time spike when using brakes.

I believe my issue was the upper right text (and possibly the menu) that spurred a loop of stutters due to the HTML text. I use chaseplane, and I move around in the cockpit a lot. I think what happened was the menu, or the upper right text when I changed views, causes a big stutter, but when it comes out of what is basically a freeze, the plane shifts causing the view to shift and chaseplane fixes the view causing the text to appear again, causing another stutter, and so on. Something about bringing up the shift-z text the first time broke that loop and fixed it, but I couldn't get it to appear the second time around.

Disabling what I did seems to have fixed it for now, but the HF will be great to have.

Oh, probably not related but I'll share it anyway, I was also finding that I was getting really bad frame times even at cruise. I expect a little bit over metro areas, but FL340 over barren northern Canada...something's up. I'd be within 2fps of what I am locked at, but frame times all over the place. I didn't disable Nvidia shader cache for P3D, so even though I cleared the P3D shader cache, Nvidia presumably had its own cache from 5.1 still. I did a clean driver install using DDU to uninstall the old drivers, and checking clean installation in the drivers installation menu. I disabled shader cache for P3D using NVI (or you can use control panel) and the issue is gone. Back to buttery smooth frame times. It is possible that maybe it wasn't shader cache and it was the HTML menu, but between disabling the menu and clearing the drivers and cache, all is well.
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT | 32GB DDR4 3466