Installing on a different driver

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
nowhereman

Installing on a different driver

Post by nowhereman »

Is there really no way to install the entirety of P3D v5 on a different driver instead of the main C:? Despite me asking it to install on E: via options during setup (which is a sata SSD) it keeps on installing 113gb (app itself, client, content, and scenery) on my C: which I currently cannot exactly afford.
I've already tried to change which drive new apps/docs should install on in the windows settings, but to no avail.. And I do not really wish to touch the ProgramFilesDir.

The requirements say 50gb with 35gb on the C: at least, not 113gb...

Let me know if I'm doing something wrong, or if you might know of a solution,
Cheers!
Martyson

Re: Installing on a different driver

Post by Martyson »

nowhereman wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:41 pm Is there really no way to install the entirety of P3D v5 on a different driver instead of the main C:? Despite me asking it to install on E: via options during setup (which is a sata SSD) it keeps on installing 113gb (app itself, client, content, and scenery) on my C: which I currently cannot exactly afford.
I've already tried to change which drive new apps/docs should install on in the windows settings, but to no avail.. And I do not really wish to touch the ProgramFilesDir.

The requirements say 50gb with 35gb on the C: at least, not 113gb...

Let me know if I'm doing something wrong, or if you might know of a solution,
Cheers!
I install on drive D

see here for installing P3D :
viewtopic.php?f=6322&t=120676
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
nowhereman

Post by nowhereman »

And might I ask, when you do, are the 113gbs entirely installed on your D:?
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

nowhereman wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:06 am And might I ask, when you do, are the 113gbs entirely installed on your D:?
@ nowhereman ,

For now, just now talking your "D" drive:

When you download the P3D ZIP how big is the ZIP folder on your "D" drive?
When you Unzip it how big is the Un-Zipped folder ?
What is the total of the two folders?

After installing P3D and verify all is ok did you delete the download Zip and Un-zipped folders ?

How big is your P3D (installed) folder on your D drive?
Best Regards,
nowhereman

Post by nowhereman »

The v5 file downloaded from the P3D website is 22.8GB both zip and unzipped for me. After the files are downloaded through the installer (unwantedly on my C:), the unzipped file remains my downloads folder on the HDD (D:), but I have since deleted the zipped file.. Hope this answers your questions!
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

nowhereman wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:40 pm The v5 file downloaded from the P3D website is 22.8GB both zip and unzipped for me. After the files are downloaded through the installer (unwantedly on my C:), the unzipped file remains my downloads folder on the HDD (D:), but I have since deleted the zipped file.. Hope this answers your questions!
@ nowhereman ,

My download program lets me direct the download to my "D" drive.

But, you could move it (the ZIP) from your "C" drive to any other drive.

Then you Unzip it on the "Other" drive.

Now, is that OK?

What is the drive you installed P3D on?

At this point what problem do you have on the total "Other" drive usage (other than the "C" drive)?

Note:
Not talking about the "C" drive yet.
Best Regards,
nowhereman

Post by nowhereman »

I haven't tried looking into that actually, but it sounds interesting!

The Zip file got installed on my D:, as all other downloads from the internet do.
When I unzip it, it remains in the D: - I couldn't tell you how to unzip it into a different drive..

But nonetheless, as I stated in the original post, the entirety of the P3D during the setup process installs on the C: (the main drive with the OS on), instead of the E: drive I want it to go to :(
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

nowhereman wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:15 pm I haven't tried looking into that actually, but it sounds interesting!

The Zip file got installed on my D:, as all other downloads from the internet do.
When I unzip it, it remains in the D: - I couldn't tell you how to unzip it into a different drive..

But nonetheless, as I stated in the original post, the entirety of the P3D during the setup process installs on the C: (the main drive with the OS on), instead of the E: drive I want it to go to :(
@ nowhereman ,

What is the drive and path to your installed P3D product?

Every time during Setup / Option I can choose to install on my "D" drive and it does.
My thought is you did not do that?

At this point what problem do you have on the total "Other" drive usage (other than the "C" drive)?
Best Regards,
nowhereman

Post by nowhereman »

The installer downloaded from the internet goes to the D: downloads folder.
I request the installer to download all the P3D files into the E: but instead (application, client, content, scenery) get installed on the C: following the setup process.
For some very odd reason, it keeps forcing the 113gb installation onto my C:, and I have the impression that this is influenced by the OS being on that drive.
Hope this makes sense
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

nowhereman wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:29 pm The installer downloaded from the internet goes to the D: downloads folder.
I request the installer to download all the P3D files into the E: but instead (application, client, content, scenery) get installed on the C: following the setup process.
For some very odd reason, it keeps forcing the 113gb installation onto my C:, and I have the impression that this is influenced by the OS being on that drive.
Hope this makes sense
@ nowhereman ,

Which download program are you using?

When you download from your Account you should be just downloading One big ZIP file.
Is that what you did?

No matter where it downloads to you can then move the ZIP to any other drive.

What is the drive and path to your installed P3D product?

Did you read what I previously posted [see here for installing P3D :]:

Step VI ?
Best Regards,
nowhereman

Post by nowhereman »

I'm not using a download manager, as I do not exactly understand the one P3D suggests using.
I unzipped it by using the WinRAR unzipper software, following the successful download of the "big ZIP file" from my account, as you stated.
I will now attempt unzipping the file into a different drive other than D: while following the steps you sent me - will report back in a moment!
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

nowhereman wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:51 pm I'm not using a download manager, as I do not exactly understand the one P3D suggests using.
I unzipped it by using the WinRAR unzipper software, following the successful download of the "big ZIP file" from my account, as you stated.
I will now attempt unzipping the file into a different drive other than D: while following the steps you sent me - will report back in a moment!
@ nowhereman ,

No, you first move the download ZIP file to the drive and folder you want to "later" Unzip it from.
Then you go to that drive and folder and Unzip it.

Did you read what I previously posted [see here for installing P3D :]:
Best Regards,
nowhereman

Post by nowhereman »

All right, on it! I'm going through the manual you sent.
nowhereman

Post by nowhereman »

Despite having followed all steps, unfortunately it is still downloading the core files on my C:
I do not know what to do at this point...
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

nowhereman wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:16 pm Despite having followed all steps, unfortunately it is still downloading the core files on my C:
I do not know what to do at this point...
@ nowhereman ,

First, what are core files?
Best Regards,