VR-Textures window & CTD

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
neilhewitt

VR-Textures window & CTD

Post by neilhewitt »

Hi.

This is an odd one - and a very specific one, I'm afraid, the general debugging steps don't really help as this problem is intermittent.

Every so often, when I launch a flight and once the progress bar has reached 100%, the screen remains blank for several seconds, after which the sim crashes to desktop with *no* error in the Windows Application Log. I've seen this reported before and have tried some of the workaround / diagnostics, but to no avail. It's apparently random when this will happen, although it happens far more with some saved scenarios than others - but I've seen it on the default scenario with all add-ons disabled and the sim back to stock. I cannot reliably reproduce it but once it's happened, restarting the simulator will generally exhibit the same problem continuously until I reboot the machine. I've looked for ghost processes and other locked resources and I can't find anything out of the ordinary.

I should note that this happens on two of my P3D machines so it's not machine-specific. It's only been happening since 5.1 HF1.

What's slightly weirder is that occasionally if I have the sim windowed vs full-screen, I will get a blank window on top with the title 'VR-Textures', and this persists until I close it. When I see this window it usually means the sim will crash at 100%, but not always. Since I don't have VR hardware on these machines and I don't have VR enabled, I'm at a loss to why I'm seeing this...

This is maddeningly random and while I suspect either a Windows update or an NVidia driver problem more than I suspect Prepar3d itself, I wondered if anyone else has seen this sort of behaviour recently?