P3DV4 Won't Load

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D website and web apps.
skysouth

P3DV4 Won't Load

Postby skysouth » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:26 am

I cannot load P3DV4. When I select the P3D icon it starts to load normally but after a few moments the screen goes black. If I press the Esc button the usual dialogue box appears asking me if I want to 'resume', 'load a scenario', 'load a vehicle' etc. If I select an option, nothing happens.

I have tried uninstalling it, downloading and re-installing a new copy but the problem persists. This problem came out of the blue.

Please resolve asap.

Mike

JorgenSA

Re: P3DV4 Won't Load

Postby JorgenSA » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:01 pm

Mike,

Such a problem may persist after an uninstall/reinstall if you don't get a complete uninstallation done.

I am going to paste in a document on doing a complete uninstall and clean reinstall - it is rather long so you might want to print it out and read it before you proceed.

This is how I perform a clean install on Prepar3D v. 5, if you have v. 4 just say "v4" where the instructions say "v5".

READ EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU PROCEED.

WARNING: A clean install will mean just that - beware that all add-ons will not reappear in P3D, you will need to re-add or reinstall them, and that is beyond the scope of this tutorial.

I have my P3D v. 5 on my H: drive, a dedicated SSD. It is in a folder called P3D V5. For your installation substitute your own installation location, but - IMPORTANT - do NOT install to the default location of C:\Program Files. If you had P3D installed there, then install to somewhere else when you reinstall, for instance to C:\P3D.

The creation process begins with going to the Control Panel and uninstalling the old version: first uninstall the SDK, then Scenery, Content, Client and Professional Plus (or Academic) in that order.

Remove whatever remains under the folder P3D V5.

Go to Documents, remove the two Prepar3D v5 folders with Addons and Files from there. If you have moved your Documents folder, go to its new location and remove from there, of course.

Go to the root of C: drive, in the Search box in the top right-hand corner type "Prepar3D v5" (without the quotation marks) in Windows Explorer (that is File Explorer, not Internet Explorer). Delete everything that is found. Some items cannot be deleted, go Skip on those items.

Empty your Temp folders (not really necessary, but they should be emptied once in a while).

Empty your Recycle Bin.

Clean Registry, using Eusing's Free Registry Cleaner.

Reboot.

Right-click on P3D's Setup.exe and select Run as Administrator, and on the first screen, under Options, select to install in the P3D V5 folder on the H: drive. This is for my own use, see above for installing on another drive.

When the installation is finished. go into the P3D v5 folder, create a folder named SDK, install SDK to there.

Right-click on the Prepar3D icon on the desktop, select Properties. Go to the Compatibility tab, put a check mark in the box "Run this program as Administrator". Click Apply, then OK.

Start P3D, fly the default flight out of KRND (KVPS if v. 4) for a couple of minutes. Shut down P3D, reboot.

Go into the SDK subfolder, right-click on ConfigureSDK.exe and select Run as Administrator. Answer Yes to the question that comes up.

Now you are ready to explore the world of Prepar3D.

If you reinstalled P3D because you experienced problems with add-ons, then test the flights where you experienced problems BEFORE you install ANY add-ons.

Have fun -

Jorgen
System: i7-7700K @ 4.66 GHz, ASUS Z170-A motherboard, 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM, nVidia GTX 960 w/ 4 GB DDR5 VRAM, Windows 10 Home.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.

Martyson

Re: P3DV4 Won't Load

Postby Martyson » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:53 pm

@ skysouth ,

You mentioned:

"I have tried uninstalling it, downloading and re-installing a new copy but the problem persists."

Did you follow these steps?
Uninstalling/Deactivating Prepar3D:
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=125187

Downloading and Installing Prepar3D:
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=120676
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Return to “Prepar3D Website and Download Questions”