Joystick Hat problem

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
latebloomer

Joystick Hat problem

Postby latebloomer » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:14 pm

I've only used my setup a few times. P3dV4, Thrustmaster 16000. A2A adon for C172. New Lenovo, windows 10.The Hat button on top of my Thrustmaster that controls the cabin view in 4 directions at first worked fine, then days later only worked in the up direction and now doesn't work at all for the C172 or any other aircraft. After extensive trouble shooting with the A2A group they could not resolve it. They hesitate to suggest uninstalling. What say you?

Martyson

Re: Joystick Hat problem

Postby Martyson » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:47 pm

I've only used my setup a few times. P3dV4, Thrustmaster 16000. A2A adon for C172. New Lenovo, windows 10.The Hat button on top of my Thrustmaster that controls the cabin view in 4 directions at first worked fine, then days later only worked in the up direction and now doesn't work at all for the C172 or any other aircraft. After extensive trouble shooting with the A2A group they could not resolve it. They hesitate to suggest uninstalling. What say you?
Have you contacted Thrustmaster?

Is your default flight the LM F22 at KVPS?

If yes, is Thrustmaster working in the default F22 VC cockpit and outside view?

Did your Thrustmaster come with Thrustmaster software for testing it?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:34 pm

You say here "new Lenovo", by which I take it that you mean a Lenovo laptop.

Is your joystick attached directly to the computer (laptop or not), or are you attaching through a hub, and, if so, is this hub a powered hub?

The reason for this question is that if the joystick is attached through a hub, and this hub is not powered, then the power has to be supplied by the computer, and, in case of a laptop, that power supply is working flat out already with P3D and may have an issue powering the joystick also.

Jorgen
System: i7-7700K @ 4.66 GHz, ASUS Z170-A motherboard, 16 GB of 2133 MHz DDR4 RAM, nVidia GTX 960 graphics w/ 4 GB DDR5 VRAM, Thrustmaster HOTAS-X, Windows 10 Home

latebloomer

Postby latebloomer » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:50 pm

Lenovo laptop i7 microp. Default = Cessna 172 trainer. Joystick is plugged in directly to computer. The Thrustmaster did not come with test software. I have not contacted them. They are next.

latebloomer

Postby latebloomer » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:14 pm

I just tested it in the game controller of Windows 10. N,S,E,W and 360 rotation all work fine. It doesn't appear to be a Thrustmaster problem.

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:57 pm

I just tested it in the game controller of Windows 10. N,S,E,W and 360 rotation all work fine. It doesn't appear to be a Thrustmaster problem.
In P3D do all other Thrustmaster axes and buttons work properly?

I previously asked:

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:42 am

Two things spring to my mind here, which may help:

Get a powered hub, and connect the joystick (and your other USB devices, if you have any) through that, and

Check for updated drivers at the Thrustmaster site

Jorgen
System: i7-7700K @ 4.66 GHz, ASUS Z170-A motherboard, 16 GB of 2133 MHz DDR4 RAM, nVidia GTX 960 graphics w/ 4 GB DDR5 VRAM, Thrustmaster HOTAS-X, Windows 10 Home

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:20 am

That is good to know.

I know you initially mentioned the Joystick worked fine for a few days on a new Lenovo.

That is why I asked :

Have you contacted Thrustmaster?

In P3D do all other Thrustmaster axes and buttons work properly?

New hardware, PC and Joystick, come with a warranty so you have time to sort it out.

I assumed the Joystick was new.
Is it or was it previously used on another PC?

A couple notes:
A laptop can have up to 127 usb devices plugged into it.
If a usb device requires a specific usb type port (2.0/3.0 etc) the devices instructions will tell you so.
You do not need a USB hub (unpowered or powered) for your laptop unless you have more devices than ports available.
You do not need a powered hub unless your usb device specifically requires it (per the manual/manufactures instructions).

If you have a problem with a usb standard device plugged into any hub remove it from the hub and test it plugged directly into the computer.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

latebloomer

Postby latebloomer » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:13 pm

I contacted Thrustmaster. They only have one set of drivers for this model of joystick. They suggested testing it the way I have already done. Tests out fine. I uninstalled the A2A 172 trainer addon. I then switched the data input back to "raw" from direct. The switch to direct had been done at the request of their troubleshooters. It didn't help and created a new problem that I'm still plagued with. There are pink translucent rectangular boxes floating in the lower left of screen as well as a sky that that appears to be sectioned with slightly different shades of blue. The original problem is still there. No joystick response. I tried using a USB hub, then went back to using the computer port. Didn"t help. No my default plane is not the F22, none of them work with the hat problem. I'd love to uninstall Prepar3D and start over from a fresh download. This setup hasn't worked for weeks.

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:16 am

I contacted Thrustmaster. They only have one set of drivers for this model of joystick. They suggested testing it the way I have already done. Tests out fine. I uninstalled the A2A 172 trainer addon. I then switched the data input back to "raw" from direct. The switch to direct had been done at the request of their troubleshooters. It didn't help and created a new problem that I'm still plagued with. There are pink translucent rectangular boxes floating in the lower left of screen as well as a sky that that appears to be sectioned with slightly different shades of blue. The original problem is still there. No joystick response. I tried using a USB hub, then went back to using the computer port. Didn"t help. No my default plane is not the F22, none of them work with the hat problem. I'd love to uninstall Prepar3D and start over from a fresh download. This setup hasn't worked for weeks.
Just for info:
Another HAT switch problem was reported here:
viewtopic.php?f=6315&t=135919

For the :
"There are pink translucent rectangular boxes floating in the lower left of screen as well as a sky that that appears to be sectioned with slightly different shades of blue."

Start P3D.
P3D top menu
Navigation
In Navigation Visuals pop-up
Are Facility Visuals enabled?

For the Joystick.
Are all Joystick functions inoperative or just the multi position (i.e., up/down/left/right) HAT switch?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

latebloomer

Postby latebloomer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:13 pm

I turned on facility visuals as indicated. No change. The other functions of the joy stick function properly. Only the multiposition hat switch does not work at all.

latebloomer

Postby latebloomer » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:38 pm

New development. No matter which airplane I use, I can see the elevator working fine on the ground along with the other controls. As soon as I start down the runway, however, I lose control of the elevator and can only remain in the air a few seconds with it flapping up and down as if detached.

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”