Scenario window behind blank window

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Kirkus

Scenario window behind blank window

Postby Kirkus » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:24 pm

Hello, I'm a new user of Prepar3D (Professional license) and am running version 4.4.

After launching P3D the normal logo comes up as it's opening. After that, when I should see the Scenario window, instead I see a full screen P3D window which is completely black and the Scenario window has opened up behind that. In order to bring the Scenario window to the front, I hover over the P3D icon in the task bar which allows me to select the Scenario window. This also happens after any change is made in the Scenario window. If I go to change aircraft, for instance, after selecting a new aircraft and clicking "OK", the aircraft is changed but the Scenario window again moves behind the full screen black window. I must then go back to the P3D icon in the task bar and select the Scenario window there to bring it back to the front. If I change airports, the same thing happens.

I don't know if this is happening to others (I've searched this forum and did a search using Google and found nothing) or if it is something up with my installation. It doesn't seem to affect anything else, and it's not a problem, really. It just doesn't seem right.

Here are some particulars:
HP Omen laptop
i7 7700HQ @2.8 Ghz
GTX 1050 Ti
Windows 10 Home
8 Gb RAM
4 monitor setup (3-cockpit, 1-GPS)
Several Orbx files are also installed (but the problem is there even with these disabled).

Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Re: Scenario window behind blank window

Postby Rob McCarthy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:59 pm

Hello,

Are you running any recording applications including ShadowPlay or the Windows 10 recorder?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead

Sabre57

Postby Sabre57 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:06 pm

I'm having the same issue and have another thread on it. I don't have any recording or overlay running or installed.

Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Postby Rob McCarthy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:07 pm

Can you try the steps mentioned in this post to see if it resolves your issue?
https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 91#p189991

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead

Sabre57

Postby Sabre57 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:09 pm

Can you try the steps mentioned in this post to see if it resolves your issue?
https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 91#p189991

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Those were the steps I followed to get to this point. Before doing so I could not get to the scenario screen nor to the default flight without the scenario screen loaded at start up.

Kirkus

Postby Kirkus » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:53 pm

Hi Rob,

Like Sabre57 I am not running any recording software or any other program for that matter. However, the steps you linked to I have not tried. But I am going to this evening. When I originally installed P3Dv4.4 I made a mistake and told it to install on a very small SSD drive instead of changing the location to a larger regular drive. Obviously the installer let me know after a while that there wasn't enough room to finish the installation. I tried an uninstall then reinstall on the proper drive. So, I may have pooched it from the get go.

It doesn't sound like those steps helped Sabre57, but I'm going to try it anyway and will report what happens in this thread.

Thank you for the reply!

--Kirk

(And I do apologize for starting another thread on the same issue. I promise that I did search the forum first, however.)

Kirkus

Postby Kirkus » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:45 am

I uninstalled/reinstalled Prepar3D v4.4 tonight. All was fine until I set up and activated a View Group. So that was my problem... with a view group not set when quitting the application, the next time it is launched, the scenario window opens in front and stays in front. With a view group set when quitting the application, the next time it is launched, I get the whole behind the black window thing. So, it's related to view groups, which kind of makes sense.

I hope this helps you too, Sabre57. Let us know.

Sabre57

Postby Sabre57 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:17 pm

I’m using a view group as well. Turing it off works for me as well. Not sure if this is a feature or a bug. Seems like a bug to me. :)

Kirkus

Postby Kirkus » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:57 pm

I agree. But as far as problems go this isn't a bad one. I'm glad we were able to figure it out.

Thanks for your quick help, Rob. It's appreciated.

Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Postby Rob McCarthy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:01 pm

Thanks for narrowing down the cause of the issue, we appreciate it! We'll look into a fix.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead

Sabre57

Postby Sabre57 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:47 pm

Thanks Rob!

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”