ntdll.dll crash between Greenland and Canada Prepar3D v4

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
brynmwr

Re: ntdll.dll crash between Greenland and Canada Prepar3D v4

Postby brynmwr » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:21 pm

By the way, I've tried using ADE to find errors in an airport too, but the errors you are looking for are not things such as orphaned nodes, disconnected parking, etc. I believe what we are looking for is facility data (frequencies, coordinates and other such variables) that are corrupted. I've been using BGLNavEditor and AirportInspector tools from Sors Herves.
Thanks Dan. Interesting post, and a lot of food for thought.

If couatl is requesting parking information, and facilities.dll is (somehow) returning a null (e.g., CYHO), maybe this is not being caught.

But I will use Sors' tools as well, and look for weird comm and nav frequencies, names, and latlons.

Edit: Argh, but why then only when coming from the Atlantic !?
Last edited by brynmwr on Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kikigey89

Postby kikigey89 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:24 pm

Where did you get the CTD? Cheers, Bryn.
Around 90 NM before NEEKO (Newfoundland), coming from Europe. I have problems on the entire coast, not only on a certain spot.

brynmwr

Postby brynmwr » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Around 90 NM before NEEKO (Newfoundland), coming from Europe. I have problems on the entire coast, not only on a certain spot.
With couatl running?

kikigey89

Postby kikigey89 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Umberto (FSDT) replied that although they have disabled GSX above 250/10000 there still remains some scanning of facilities by their module(s), he then was interested in if I had modified any bgl's to which I responded no not in this area (none of my \0301\Scenery files are modified).
Could Umberto add a log which files it scans? Maybe we end up having one bgl where it crashes.

kikigey89

Postby kikigey89 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:27 pm

With couatl running?
Yes. 3 flights so far with couatl and 2 crashes, around 13 flights without couatl and no crash.

downscc

Postby downscc » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:28 pm

Yesterday, I had four sessions with the saved scenario I have for a flight enroute EGLL KLAS that repeatedly and reliably suffers a stack corruption and CTD always either S Greenland or S Hudson Bay Canada.

Every session without couatl running completed normally. Every session with couatl running terminated with a CTD.
Dan Downs
KCRP

brynmwr

Postby brynmwr » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:09 pm

So maybe couatl is making a SimConnect_RequestFacilitiesList call, or has SimConnect_SubscribeToFacilities set and is triggering a stack corruption because of some bad data. Presumably, Umberto would only be subscribing to the airports, which is pretty simple data, with just the ICAO, latitude and longitude.

facilities.dll looks like it has a few weather-station related functions in it, so that might also be what he's checking.

One option is to set up a small program that runs these simconnect calls and logs the results, and see if it crashes the sim using Dan's saved scenario and couatl turned off.

Ideally though, and as kiki suggested, Umberto would just add some logging of anything facilities.dll related for us!

brynmwr

Postby brynmwr » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:25 am

Dan, have you tried your scenario file that reliably crashes with scenery directory 0201 (hudson bay crash area) or 0301 (labrador crash area) completely deactivated?

downscc

Postby downscc » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:44 pm

Dan, have you tried your scenario file that reliably crashes with scenery directory 0201 (hudson bay crash area) or 0301 (labrador crash area) completely deactivated?
That is a good idea. I'm running a test now and it that doesn't turn up anything I'll give that a shot. Thanks.
Dan Downs
KCRP

brynmwr

Postby brynmwr » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:06 pm

I also note that Umberto has posted a bglmanx64.dll as a possible fix for this bug today (over at fsdt forums). I'll try and test it on the weekend.

downscc

Postby downscc » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:03 pm

I also note that Umberto has posted a bglmanx64.dll as a possible fix for this bug today (over at fsdt forums). I'll try and test it on the weekend.
I tested that module for Umberto yesterday, I presume because I have talked about having a scenario that reliably reproduces the crash event. By all means grab this module and replace the one you have.

Also, I would not say that it fixes the bug. The problem is still in the facility data buried someplace in a bgl file, but he has inhibited his Addon Manager from requesting facility data when above 250/10000 in the same way that GSX was previously modified. LM still has corrupt data that they are responsible for. This is a LM problem.
Dan Downs
KCRP

kikigey89

Postby kikigey89 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:07 pm

Do we finally see light at the end of the tunnel? :-)

Chazzer5

Postby Chazzer5 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:46 pm

Having suffered this crash a number of times myself, I did a bit of reading through the AVSIM posts and noticed parallels to my issue, in that the crashes appear to happen at or near the Canada Domestic FIR boundary.

I've updated my FIR boundaries using fsAerodata and haven't had the crash since. According to their website, fsAerodata does/offers the following:

- Update of main enroute ARTCC / FIR Flight Information Regions, including boundaries, frequencies, names, locations.

- Full coverage of ARTCC / FIR real-world sectoring, including altitudes and center frequencies, for following countries: US, Canada and Western Europe.

Now YMMV, but it seems to have replaced an offending BGL somewhere. This is an additional option in the fsAerodata app which needs to be activated, so for those of you who already have fsAerodata, I strongly suggest giving it a go.

brynmwr

Postby brynmwr » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:09 pm

I also have this update enabled in fsaerodata, but I still get the crash.

I haven't been through the CTD regions since Umberto released the revised bglmanx64.dll. I'm going to try that tonight.

Jespersson

Postby Jespersson » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:36 pm

I just did a flight EHAM-KSFO with Umbertos new file and had no issues what so ever. I don't think I've ever done a Europe to US flight in P3D before without a CTD so fingers crossed this is working!
Kind regards
Jesper Persson

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”