Scenery.cfg file error on loading

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
calistan

Scenery.cfg file error on loading

Post by calistan »

I decided to upgrade to v3 to see if I could get better performance. Since I was using a lot of Orbx products in v2.5 my new naked v3 didn't look too good, so I decided to port everything across. I used the official v3 installers where available, and a couple of other methods for the stuff that still only has a v2 installer.

Anyway, the result is that now I get two errors every time I start - scenery.cfg directory is missing for Area.119 and Area.130. I have no idea what these areas are.

I thought maybe I'd better just wait for the official v3 installers, so I uninstalled the entire sim (all 98 GB of it). However, on reinstalling I now get the same errors with a clean install. I've tried reinstalling a couple of times, cleaning out the registry as best I can, but the error won't go away.

Is it possible to get rid of this? If not, how do I completely purge the PC of everything related to P3D?
ronh991

Re: Scenery.cfg file error on loading

Post by ronh991 »

When you did the uninstall did you do the following per the FAQ.

Finally, you should reinstall Prepar3D, but first uninstall it and then manually delete the following folders for v3:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 (or the modified install location)
%PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3
%APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3D v3 Files

After those folders are removed, you can reinstall Prepar3D and everything should work as expected.

Note: Before installing any add-ons or third party content, confirm Prepar3D works from the clean install.
Ron
calistan

Re: Scenery.cfg file error on loading

Post by calistan »

Thanks for the info, that was very helpful. I decided not to uninstall because I've spent probably the best part of six hours repeatedly installing things, but I found a workaround in one of the folders you mentioned.

In the scenery.cfg file in programdata, Area.119 is supposed to be:
Title=Propeller Objects
Local=Scenery\Props

Area.130 is:
Title=Addon Scenery
Local=Addon Scenery

There's no such folder for the first, and the second doesn't sound correct at all. Perhaps the first was left behind from an add-on aircraft in v2 (I haven't tried installing any aircraft into v3).

Anyway, I removed both entries and the sim loaded as normal, after rebuilding its database. I guess I'll know if I deleted anything important if I start seeing big empty holes in the scenery.