PFC Rudder Pedals in V3

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Busdvr

PFC Rudder Pedals in V3

Post by Busdvr »

Anybody using PFC Rudder Pedals with V3? Mine work great with V2 but not V3.
I'm using Windows 10 Pro. The only thing I notice is different is when I select assignments for brakes and rudder axis.
In version 2, I show axis 3,4,and 5 for brakes right, brake left and rudder but in v3, it show RxAxis, RyAxis and Rz Axis.
Brakes work but not rudder.
Adam Breed
Lockheed Martin

Re: PFC Rudder Pedals in V3

Post by Adam Breed »

Hi Busdvr,

You will want to contact PFC. During beta phases they have identified a fix that they can provide to you.

Regards,
Adam
Prepar3D® Engineering Project Manager
Busdvr

Post by Busdvr »

Thanks Adam. That is good to know.
OldAirMail

Post by OldAirMail »

Just out of curiosity, if P3d V3 detects them, why can't you assign them?
Racklefratz

Post by Racklefratz »

Not using PFC pedals, but, just as another data point wrt P3D v3, I've given up trying to use my Jay rudder pedals with v3 for now. The worked fine with v2, and now that I've re-installed v2, they once again work fine - with v2.

I'm not a newbie with this - I've been assigning axes to controllers in flight sims since MS Flight Simulator was monochrome-that's a long time. But I literally spent hours trying to get these pedals to work in P3D v3, and it's a no-go. Rudders work, but the software doesn't recognize the brake axes, despite the fact that the Windows 7 joy.cpl calibrates and sees them perfectly.

With P3D v3 running, the physical brake pedals have no effect when trying to assign them, and the sim reports "Brakes" being applied when they are not - and yes, thankyou, I **HAVE** tried "releasing the brakes" with the period key, which does nothing. This anomoly disappears if I close the sim, unplug the Jay rudders, and attach some old Saitek rudders I still have, which then perform perfectly in P3D v3.

So, the Jay rudders (brakes) do work in P3D v2, not in v3, when my Saitek rudders/brakes do work in v3. That points directly at something wonky in v3 in my mind.
Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Post by Clifton Crane »

Hello,

If you delete the Brake assignments from the PFC pedal axes, do the toe-brakes show as released in Prepar3D?

Once they are deleted, are you able to reassign the axes in Control Settings->Change Assignment?

We will be looking into possible issues when attempting to bind axis events.
Clifton Crane
Prepar3D® Software Engineer Sr.
Racklefratz

Post by Racklefratz »

If you delete the Brake assignments from the PFC pedal axes, do the toe-brakes show as released in Prepar3D?

Once they are deleted, are you able to reassign the axes in Control Settings->Change Assignment?
I'm unclear if your question is for the OP or for me. His issue was that brakes in v3 are working, and rudder is not.

Mine is the reverse. In my case, rudder works fine, but P3D v3 does not see my toe brakes, so I can't assign them. If I click the "Reset to Defaults" or whatever it's called button, toe brake axes do appear as x and y, but they still don't respond to my Jay pedals inputs. Note that my old Saitek rudder pedals work OK with P3D v3, including the brake axes, which I can delete and reassign easily. It's my Jay pedals that v3 has problems with, and the Jay pedals work fine in v2 and in the Windows calibration applet.

I didn't intend to hijack this discussion. I only wanted to provide an additional user's experience related to rudder (and brake) pedal issues with v3.
p3dfan100

Post by p3dfan100 »

My rudder pedals don't work in V3 either. Can see the device in V3, but it doesn't see the axis movement in order to assign in the controls section. Had to assign via FSUIPC. Still works fine in V2.
Lapi

Post by Lapi »

I'm also with this problem with two PFC pedals in my cockpit.
I've written to PFC (as suggested) but their answer was sort of ridiculous. They say the USB boards in the pedals need to be changed and only if "this board is only compatible with devices with devices that are 2010 and newer. If your device is older than 2010, it will need to be sent in for the board upgrade as all sensors and wire will have
to be changed. The cost of the board is $99.00 USD plus shipping. The cost of full upgrade
is $395.00 USD plus shipping to and from our facility."

Being in Europe and having the pedals older than 2010 I simply have no choice but either buy new ones or asking LM to look at the software part, as they work just fine in v2. So I do ask here...

Lapi
Racklefratz

Post by Racklefratz »

I've written to PFC (as suggested) but their answer was sort of ridiculous. They say the USB boards in the pedals need to be changed and only if "this board is only compatible with devices that are 2010 and newer. If your device is older than 2010, it will need to be sent in for the board upgrade as all sensors and wire will have
to be changed.
Apologies for being off topic, but I'm finished with PFC - PFC *anything*. Just in the past year, I bought a PFC Saab yoke, complete with fancy-smantzy "Hall sensors", and the USB board failed within a month. They did send me a new board, and I installed it. The yoke worked for a couple of weeks, and the board failed again.

I ended up sending the entire yoke back to the factory, and it worked a short time after I got it back, then the board again failed. PFC USB boards seem to be really flaky, and it's not rocket science - the rest of the control mfgrs - CH, Saitek, etc, don't seem to have any problem getting it right. My PFC yoke is in the landfill, and it's the last PFC device I'll ever spend money on. YMMV.

I'm now enjoying a Brunner force-feedback yoke from Switzerland. Very cool.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled broadcast.
t-c

Post by t-c »

Busdvr wrote:Anybody using PFC Rudder Pedals with V3? Mine work great with V2 but not V3.
I'm using Windows 10 Pro. The only thing I notice is different is when I select assignments for brakes and rudder axis.
In version 2, I show axis 3,4,and 5 for brakes right, brake left and rudder but in v3, it show RxAxis, RyAxis and Rz Axis.
Brakes work but not rudder.
I'm sorry to high jack your thread with my question...
As I have exactly the same problem with my PFC rudder pedals, and I'm still awaiting them to reply to my email asking for their help/ work around, did PFC. Sort your issue out, and if so, what was the solution please?
Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Post by Clifton Crane »

Hello,

With the next release, a new Calibrate Device view will be added to the Control Settings Calibration tab. This will help correct issues users are having with axes not being detected as well as issues with aircraft veering off the runway.
Clifton Crane
Prepar3D® Software Engineer Sr.
t-c

Post by t-c »

Clifton Crane wrote:Hello,

With the next release, a new Calibrate Device view will be added to the Control Settings Calibration tab. This will help correct issues users are having with axes not being detected as well as issues with aircraft veering off the runway.
Hi Clifton,
Many thanks for your reply which has left me a little confused, are you indicating that there is an issue within V3 not recognizing certain input axes-in general, or that there is an issue with some device manufacturers such as, PFC which are having this sort of specific issues? As the PFC rudder pedals I have are simple plug and play with no drivers from PFC being required(as far as I'm aware) I'm lost, why in Windows I can calibrate and set the axes, and in P3D, the toe brakes can be set, yet the rudder axes simple don't exist.

Adam Breed wrote:Hi Busdvr,
You will want to contact PFC. During beta phases they have identified a fix that they can provide to you.

Regards,
Adam
Hi Adam, are you at liberty to say what this fix is so that I can continue using P3d with the rudder pedals please?
Thank you
Ros5co

Post by Ros5co »

Hi t-c,

I see Adam hasn't replied as yet so I'll update you as I was one of the testers with an issue with my PFC SAAB yoke. Using the default control settings the unit would set it'self to a hard left roll (from memory). The way I overcame it though was to use a registered version of FSUIPC & turned off the default controls.

The fix "offered" by PFC to me was as already mentioned, a new board upgrade for my yoke. However as I'm in Australia & as FSUIPC overcomes the issue for me & is what I always use for my controllers in any case I haven't bothered with it.

I believe this is what Adam was referring to.

Cheers,

Ross
Cheers,

Ross

ORBX
i7 7700K @5.0 Gz | ASUS ROG Extreme IX Hero | 16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC 8Gb | Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 840 250 GB HD | WIN 10 Home 64 Bit | PFC SAAB Desktop Yoke | PFC Throttles
t-c

Post by t-c »

Ros5co wrote:Hi t-c,

The fix "offered" by PFC to me was as already mentioned, a new board upgrade for my yoke. However as I'm in Australia & as FSUIPC overcomes the issue for me & is what I always use for my controllers in any case I haven't bothered with it.
I believe this is what Adam was referring to.

Cheers,
Ross
Hi Ros5co
I'm sorry for the late reply, being a postman here in the UK at Christmas leaves little time for the pleasures of flight siming/forums, so Many thanks for your reply.

This evening I've reformatted my hard drive, and gone back to Windows 7, as Windows 10, and P3dv3 has been a total nightmare for me and PFC equipment.
I did receive a reply from Ivan Bernardo at PFC support,
"If you are using Windows 10, this is the issue. If not, please contact P3D as they have modified their software that is causing it to misinterpret the signals from the pedals. "
so I will see if I still have problems