Poor Performance p3d v2.3

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
david.merak

Post by david.merak »

Hi LM team

I dont know why i was flying with a good frame rate in P3d v2.2, 30~60 fps, but with the new update, i can get more than 20 fps and the worst thing i cant see any visual improvement, i still continue with particle system slowness, with all aircrafts. the water looks equal than previous version, shadows work equal, where are the improvement? or how can i turn it on? with what sliders or option, today i have all sliders to the right al maximum. (same like p3d v2.2 and p3d v2.1)

I tryed a full install and patched version, the performance is the same, at this moment i dont have errors but a lot of slowness, i need to lose graphical and visual enachment in order to still flying with 20~30 fps.

Any solution without loosing Graphical enachments?

I suppose we have a good update and i appreciate it a lot.

Regards.
hermes82

Post by hermes82 »

have to agree david, stuttering like hell and low fps and blurries and the cloud rotation looks way worse than it did, spent 4 days restoring and repairing my pc and reinstalling v2.2 and now I could do with restoring to the point I created last night before I installed v2.3
CardinalStorm

Post by CardinalStorm »

Yep, I had v2.2 running more than acceptably with the majority of sliders at high-max. Using the exact same settings, v2.3 runs like a three-legged donkey in a sack race! It's possible my Orbx Global package (Base, Vector and openLC) needs updating, but I'm not willing to spend hours testing stuff out, I've wasted too much of my life tinkering with flight sims that run badly on cutting edge hardware.

I've no idea what's been added visually, but all I see is some new bloom effect, surely that hasn't caused performance issues. Either way I'm not flying in a stuttering flight sim. I'll happily wait for v.2.4. :)

If it helps pinpoint problems: I installed the patch.
Mickeyj

Post by Mickeyj »

Hmmm kinda strange. I did a repair with v2.2 installer, aplied the patch. Got rid of ASN and copied the beta FSUIPC into the modules folder. FSDT add on manager and ORBX objectflow updated and v2.3 runs like hell. Better performance than under v2.2. Something must went wrong :(

A video of v2.3 impressions is up on my youtube blog.
Luis Vargas

Post by Luis Vargas »

I'm realizing an overall improvement in performance with version v2.3 :). In the screenshot over Manhattan I couldn't get more than 18 fps in the version v2.2 (with the same settings as v2.3) and the settings (for testing/benchmark purpose) are quite aggressive for my midrange machine.

go_noah

Post by go_noah »

I just installed the patch update. I am experiencing increased performance and smoother operation. Flying around ORBX PNW KSEA used to be around 30fps with stutters and now in high 30's/40 fps and much smoother. Water also looks much better. All cores are being used on my i5-3570K w/o any affinity mask settings.

I am happy with the 2.3 patch as it runs very well on my system. i5-3570K oc at 4.6, ASUS GTX780 w/3GB, Win 7, Samsung SSD
CPU - 3570K oc 4.2 16GB memory GPU - Gigabyte GTX 780 3GB memory - Win 10 64bit
Jocko Flocko

Post by Jocko Flocko »

Performance increased for me about 20-25% and the simulator looks absolutely incredible as it appears they have really polished the HDR light rendering, volumetric fog, clouds and cloud shadows. The sim also seems to load much faster than what it did.

i7 2600K @ 5.2Ghz, 16GB DDR3 2100Mhz, SLI Nvidia Titan Black Superclocked (I only run one in FSX and P3D), Windows 7 64bit, MB ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, P3D installed on a 540GB Samsung Evo SSD.
Japo32

Post by Japo32 »

For me bad performance. I am frustrated with this sim. IN FSX same addoms almost same configuration with dX10 fixer.. have +30fps stable in orbx KSEA... in P3D v2.3 15-20.... Installed everything from zero (all the day installing things)

Really I am frustrated.. have to wait to 2.4? I will continue flying with FSX I guess....

ground traffic (cars, trucks etc...) makes drop a lot the fsp.. have you checkout?

I am flying it 5040x1050 i7 at 4.1ghz 16g ram and nvidia 780

G.K.

Post by G.K. »

Over the years of flying flightsim ZX spectrum/BBC model B PC, FS 2000, FS 2004, FSX and now P3D I've always been moderately pleased with the performance, hardly ever suffered crashes or lockups on the later stuff and yet I read the forums and see folk with better machines having endless problems.

I suppose the number and combination of addons makes a difference, I've never been one for adding too much, with FSX I had GEX, UTX and Tongass Fjords (which I won in a screen shot comp at Simviation) and now with P3D I have the ORBX England and will probably add the global stuff when P3D development has settled down....I don't tinker with my PC much either. Plane models I copy over from other FS's or download free ones.

I currently have i5 4430 @ 3ghz and 2 graphics cards GT640 & GTX750ti (both 2 gig) on 2 monitors. My sliders are high but not maxed, Cloud shadows, 1 layer of volumetric fog, HDR off......getting 30 fps in most areas except big airports and cities. P3D has never locked up or crashed (apart from the flightplanner)on me

I Can't use much traffic (CPU bottlenecked I guess) but if I need traffic to try out a particular scenario I just turn down other settings.....I'm happy.

The patch worked for me with improvements in texture loading, frames, stutters (still getting some but my rig isn't the fastest) and water. The sim looks and flies good. I'm pleased. P3D isn't perfect but for me it's the best so far, value for money it's the bargain of the century.

...Maybe I'm just lucky.

Mickeyj

Post by Mickeyj »

Quote:
Quote from G.K. on August 13, 2014, 04:52

Over the years of flying flightsim ZX spectrum/BBC model B PC, FS 2000, FS 2004, FSX and now P3D I've always been moderately pleased with the performance, hardly ever suffered crashes or lockups on the later stuff and yet I read the forums and see folk with better machines having endless problems.

I suppose the number and combination of addons makes a difference, I've never been one for adding too much, with FSX I had GEX, UTX and Tongass Fjords (which I won in a screen shot comp at Simviation) and now with P3D I have the ORBX England and will probably add the global stuff when P3D development has settled down....I don't tinker with my PC much either. Plane models I copy over from other FS's or download free ones.

I currently have i5 4430 @ 3ghz and 2 graphics cards GT640 & GTX750ti (both 2 gig) on 2 monitors. My sliders are high but not maxed, Cloud shadows, 1 layer of volumetric fog, HDR off......getting 30 fps in most areas except big airports and cities. P3D has never locked up or crashed (apart from the flightplanner)on me

I Can't use much traffic (CPU bottlenecked I guess) but if I need traffic to try out a particular scenario I just turn down other settings.....I'm happy.

The patch worked for me with improvements in texture loading, frames, stutters (still getting some but my rig isn't the fastest) and water. The sim looks and flies good. I'm pleased. P3D isn't perfect but for me it's the best so far, value for money it's the bargain of the century.

...Maybe I'm just lucky.

You are not the only lucky guy out there . I have a lot more add ons installed just to see haow the sim handles it and it just runs fine. Add ons installed -ORBX (supported and unsupported) a lot, FB KDEN, KIAD FSDT CYVR, KIAH Aerosoft Bergen x Stavanger X Regional Airports some freeware stuff and a huge hangar. Besides that REX4 is installed too
Pete_H

Post by Pete_H »

I too am getting poorer performance in 2.3 than in 2.2 - lots of stuttering (though my FPS remains about the same), even with all weather cleared and settings turned down.

One thing I have noticed is that my GPU (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 w/ 3 GB GDDR5) is only running at around ~66% utilisation when flying, however when I pause the sim the utilisation shoots up to 99% (which is where I want it to be as I have tessellation set at max). In 2.2 it would run at 99% when flying, then when I paused it would drop way down, as you would expect. So it seems that something is "throttling" my GPU performance when flying in 2.3. I have my NVIDIA control panel set to "prefer max performance" for P3D, but still I can't get my GPU to work as hard as it should in 2.3.

Is anyone else seeing this?
peppy197

Post by peppy197 »

I may be getting 4 or 5 fps lower performance but I am smiling more often.

So my S.P.M went up (smiles per minute) :D

I also can keep UT2 at 65 % on approach to FSDreamTeam's KJFK where the fps, although a little lower, are steady as she goes Scotty , so beam me up to 2.3

Demious

Post by Demious »

For me it's a bit of a mixed blessing. On one hand I get a smoother sim, I never got rid of micro stutters and now those are gone. Also the stuttering camera movements in the VC are gone, I've been dealing with for so long. Loading at startup is faster and I notice that shadow settings are more friendly on FPS. So with those improvements I'm very happy. :D

But my overall FPS is lower than with 2.2. With my standard test flight I used to have 30-40FPS, while I now see 18-35FPS. I'm not running a weather engine yet and my test aircraft is the Carenado C337, so a pretty friendly aircraft when it comes to FPS. Curious what's going to happen when ASN comes with their patch and I get out the more FPS-heavy aircrafts.

Where's the 'Boost FPS'-button? :P