P3D V2.2: Effects not loading when loading a saved flight

Discussion related to terrain/scenery design.
LimeSim

Post by LimeSim »

Hello!

While making some modifications for the upcoming "Berlin Brandenburg" airport release we made the following observation:

When loading a saved night flight at the airport all effects within view of the started flight will not be displayed. All effects outside the initial view direction will be loaded properly.

They will however be displayed if we fly into the airport from another airport or if we choose the airport in the airport menu (after a flight has been loaded elsewhere first).

Adding controllers to the effects didn't help. In P3D 1.4 and FSX everything works fine.

As we see it this might be a minor bug in P3D 2.2 and it would be great if you guys could fix that one for the next release. I'm sure Aerosoft can provide you with a copy of the scenery if needed.

Keep up the good work!

Bests,

Sascha
29PalmsSD

Post by 29PalmsSD »

Which can be added to Sascha's post is an observation I made yesterday:

I started the flight at daytime and then switched to nighttime. Not a single effect appeared.

I'd say the behaviour of effects in P3D v2.2 is rather unpredictable.

Other than that it works like a charm, thanks for that!

Best,

Lars
Best,
Lars
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

Sorry for the late reply, I was just noticing this myself while working on my night environment recently. I have a couple effects in use at an airport I'm working on, one of the effects loads and works fine from a saved flight, the other does not. The one that loads correctly differs from the other in this way, the first example works, the 2nd does not:

[Particle.0]

Type=25

[Particle.0]

Type=19

That's a tweak I did myself which Clutch Cargo of 9-Dragons Kai-Tak fame came up with at fsdeveloper several years ago, in FSX and FS9 it's purpose was to make the effect visible when you fly into the airport from some distance away. With type=19 the effect would in most cases not display upon arrival, setting type=25 solved that problem. I tested this by changing to type=25 in the effect that didn't work and after doing that the effect appeared normally when I loaded the saved flight. If you have more than one [Particle.x] section in your .fx you need to make the modification in each section. I haven't tested it but I would bet money that this problem also exists in FSX and is therefore not an exclusive P3D2 bug.

Jim
reenej

Post by reenej »

Hello,

Same problem here! I tried to make new runway lights for Aerosoft LSZH. Made a Thread about this on fsDev Forum:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/thread ... ng.430239/

@Jim:

Type 19 particles didn't worked for me as well and I always had to use Type 25 until I tried to make my FX files with the FXTool inside P3D that comes with the SDK. Now Type 19 is working.

Strange thing is, that there are not differences in the fx if I open them with Notepad. But they behave different.

Additionaly I have to point out that FX files created are looking completely different in P3D as they should:

[img]http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/attach ... jpg.17877/[/img] [img]http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/attach ... jpg.17878/[/img]

Left is the Effect in FX Editor and right is the same Effect in P3D v2.2

Interessting thing is the lower I set the lifetime under [Emitter.0] (min. is 0.01) the closer I come to the look of the Effect as I see it in FX Editor.

If I set the lifetime to 0.00 I even see the Effect when I startup with the default flight. But this gives an unwanted effect behavior.

Any workaround for that already?

Thanks for any reply/help

Joerg
overflow

Post by overflow »

Any News? In 2.4 the same problem. After start no Lights . You can start the Scenery Library and then touch ok without changes. After the reload is ended the custom Lights from Type 19 are visible. Before not. This is a Bug in all Versions.
Gena

Post by Gena »

to reenej: What do you mean: "I had to make the .fx with the FXTool inside P3D that comes with the SDK of P3D" ? Where can I find it ? I hav P3D and SDK of P3D but I can not find it.
Kevin Cartrette
Lockheed Martin

Post by Kevin Cartrette »

Hey,

We believe the issue with effects not showing up for saved files should be resolved in the latest installer or a fully patched and hotfixed Prepar3D v2. There was an issue here with certain textures not being reloaded after you looked away or didn't see an effect for a certain amount of time.

Thanks,
-Kevin.
Prepar3D Graphics Software Engineer