P3D with motion systems

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Rom73

P3D with motion systems

Post by Rom73 »

Hi All,

I'm looking for advice with tuning P3D V 5/6 to squeeze every last drop of performance out of it. We’re using P3D with a 6DOF motion base in a 737 simulator.

I’m looking for help in minimizing P3D settings to make it run as smooth as possible to drive our motion system smoothly, the motion base needs about 120 FPS equal to 120HZ data rate.

The visual in our sim is handled by a client PC so visual quality on the server PC talking to the motion base is irrelevant, - there doesn’t need to be any visual on it at all.

I’ve tried running P3D in “panel only” mode using a blank panel so there’s no instruments to simulate and no visual to display, it's better, but even with nothing in the P3D window, the frame rate still stutters as you move through scenery areas, particularly when approaching airports.

I’ve been using P3D /FS since the early 90’s so I’m very familiar with graphics slider settings etc. and have them all set to minimum, but I’m wondering if there are other things that can be done in the .cfg’s to strip back P3D to the absolute minimum (without screwing it up!) e.g. can it be made to run properly without loading any textures or airport objects at all?

We’ve been running the motion system for over a year now and it works well with P3D in general, but the stutters and pauses present a problem when using a motion system,- any stutters or pauses in P3D translate to big physical shudders in the motion system as the motion base controller waits for data from P3D, these shudders are very jarring in the cockpit and can spoil the simulation, and they can’t be very good for the motion base either.

If anyone has knowledge of settings that can be tweaked in the .cfg’s to take P3D back to a bare minimum state I’d be very grateful if you can please share any thoughts.

Thanks for any help in advance.