P3D V5.3 Missing Horizon/Atmo Haze

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
jgoggi

Re: P3D V5.3 Missing Horizon/Atmo Haze

Post by jgoggi »

Just updated ENVSHADE to v 1.1.6.9, now the horizon haze looks OK!!
Please, check it out!
theflightforna

Post by theflightforna »

Indeed... I think it has been updated and modified to fix this issue with 5.3, now it's amazing compared as it was before
theflightforna

Post by theflightforna »

I mean, it's for sure better, but it isn't as it wasn't before (hoping in a LM fix on this)

Cheers
jgoggi

Post by jgoggi »

Agree..
Senchay

Post by Senchay »

Would love to see a picture of that working ^^ It doesnt for me

The horizon barrier is still without limit. Envshade just introduces some overall haze.

I find it very surprising that of the 3+1 main devs, Hifi, Rex, Toga didnt see this. I see noone but users talk about. Would be great to finally get some info on whats going on here.
P3D 5.3, I7700K, 2080 RTX, 16GB Ram, Asus Prime Z270K, Win 10
Active Addons: ActiveSky, Skyforce Env Textures, Envshade, GSX, UtLive
theflightforna

Post by theflightforna »

If you compare the last images to the previous ones, the situation is indeed better.
But i think an intervention by LM is needed to solve this.
hkhoanguyen

Post by hkhoanguyen »

Indeed, better but not solved yet
disco79stu

Post by disco79stu »

Even if it would fix it, it can't really be that LM expects people to buy Envshade to overcome this...
damian-clark

Post by damian-clark »

Senchay wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:49 pm Would be great to finally get some info on whats going on here.
Wish we had definitive findings. We're scrambling to figure what is going with with multiple "issue reports" in upper vis, lower vis and "atmospheric haze" since release, none that came up in pre-beta testing. At least some of this is confirmed to be specific to other add-ons or P3D 5.3 without any add-ons installed but we don't have any confirmation of bugs, just changes in results, that may or may not be intentional. It appears most users are unaffected by this based on the overall feedback.

Rest assured all HiFi staff is working hard to try and identify what is what and what we can do to improve things for all ASP3D users. But if you are having problems specific to P3D 5.3 confirmed not related to any add-ons, it will not be something we can address directly.
jgoggi

Post by jgoggi »

Damian, most probably it's a v5.3 issue, not an Active Sky issue.
Springbok77w

Post by Springbok77w »

Having the same issue. Over Manchester UK can see the English Channel!!! With 5.2 I used to get mist in valleys. With 5.3 that's missing as well.
Use Envshade/ Envtex (with the latest patch) and Active Sky / Cloud Art.
Issue remains after the TOGA updates. Additionally the sun has a white spot in its centre.
EA off.
Hopefully a patch soon !
Senchay

Post by Senchay »

I didnt really mean it in a negative way :-) It wasnt a complaint or something along the line. Sorry if i wrote in a way that didnt make that clear.

I was just surprised that noone talked about it, i didnt know that not all have this because at the point of me writing this, i asked 4 users to send pics how it looks for them. All 4 of them had this issue. But of course i know that you have much better overlook about how many ppl really have it and how many dont. With 4 ppl it can always be coincidence.

Again, sorry if i sounded like complaining. I know you do good job.

PS: im taking part in the discussion in your forum :-) Some of those pics are from me.
P3D 5.3, I7700K, 2080 RTX, 16GB Ram, Asus Prime Z270K, Win 10
Active Addons: ActiveSky, Skyforce Env Textures, Envshade, GSX, UtLive
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

Hello all,

We have a shader fix to bring back the horizon fade behavior while maintaining the improvements made to fog blending and curvature correction of layers below the camera. Since it's is a shader-only change, I will post instructions below for those that want to try it before we put out an official fix.

Note this instructions assume default P3D shaders, so if you are using an add-on that modified our shaders this may not work as exptected. Also note that you will need write permissions to your install directory which may require admin rights.

First locate ShadersHLSL\FuncLibrary.fxh and save a backup copy in case you into any issues.

Open ShadersHLSL\FuncLibrary.fxh in a text editor and look for this line of code:

Code: Select all

return float4(fogInscatter, transmittance);
It should be around line 505 at the end of a function called CalculateFogAndTransmittance. Once you find it you can replace it with this:

Code: Select all

#if !defined(SHD_ENHANCED_ATMOSPHERICS_BLEND) && !defined(SHD_TO_FAR_CLIP)
    const float distanceFogTrans = min(transmittance, CalculateExponentialFogBlend(distanceSq, cb_View.mFogDensity));
    fogInscatter += cb_View.mFogColor.rgb * distanceFogTrans;
    transmittance = saturate(transmittance - distanceFogTrans);
#endif
    return float4(fogInscatter, transmittance);
Then clear your shader cache by removing this folder or deleting it's contents:
%LocalAppData%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Shaders

If P3D is running, shut it down and start it back up again.

If, after giving it some time to load shaders, everything is black, something went wrong. In that case you need to revert to the backup copy and clear the shader cache again. Almost every shader includes this header so any syntax error here will mean that most shaders won't compile.

Thanks
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
mfannee

Post by mfannee »

Thank you for posting this.

Just tested, it works as expected now!
Ikarus280

Post by Ikarus280 »

I confirm that this fix worked for me as well. However for clarity, does it help for both EA on/off, or only for EA disabled?

Thanks