P3DV5 hotfix 3?

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
JorgenSA

Re: P3DV5 hotfix 3?

Post by JorgenSA »

Hello Carlos,

Now things make much more sense.

One of the things to keep in mind all the time here is that v. 5 is a totally different animal from v. 4 (for example DX12 vs. DX11), so a comparison between the two can be difficult, and sometimes will have no meaning.

The main issue you have would seem to be running out of VRAM. This is much easier to do in v. 5 than in v. 4, and the reason why I have to keep most of my own settings to default with 4 GB of VRAM. When you change the settings higher than default - and I can certainly understand why you want to do that - you of course start to use more VRAM, and with the use of demanding add-ons, like ORBX, you use even more.

It seems to me that this is (to a degree, at least) caused by issues with DX12, which apparently still is undergoing development by Microsoft, and therefore also causes issues for the graphics card device drivers and the applications using DX12. VRAM handling has certainly improved lately with Windows 10 v. 2004 and new graphics card drivers, combined with v. 5 HF2, so that the dreaded "DXGI device hung" messages seems to be a things of the past.

Let's see what the future will bring - for me I hope nVidia will bring out their new 3000-series soon, the rumors I have seen indicate that the prices will be very attractive!

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
acuariocq

Post by acuariocq »

Hi Jorgen

Thank you for such a detailed explanation. Somehow now I understand why so many developers issued a version of their product for v5.
I said to myself, how come if it just the same program and just a new version. Of course I don't know in depth the differences between each other but starting by what you said about the Direct X I see that is an important difference.
With v5 I also got this "DXGI device hung" message. I had to search a lot for information about it.
Also received dozens of P3D has been blocked by application to get access to the graphic card... never knew which application was so evil but it stopped

Okay based on your explanation I'll change to default and from there will start increasing a bit step by step and see at what point Orbx, pmdg, captain sim and others bring the game down and will try to lower the settings a bit.

So the issue is not in the version but in issues with Direct x. Interesting

As per the graphic cards well.... I have already updated 4 times in 3 years :-(

I was told that if I want to upgrade I would need to change the processor etc, basically build a new PC

So I'll see what time will bring

Thank you again for your explanations and for the given time and attention to my issue, which by the way was very speedy

Have a nice day

Cheers
Carlos
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Carlos,

I checked your motherboard, and it looks like it has the LGA1151 socket, which means that you can use it with other CPUs, such as for example my i7-7700K.

But let us see if that is really necessary.

First of all, I would urge you to see if the BIOS on the motherboard is up to the latest level, and if not, upgrade it. For my own Z170-A motherboard, the BIOS upgrade made a real difference.

Second, see if your CPU can be overclocked. It is at 3.2 GHz right now, maybe you can take it to 3.5 or maybe more? That will also make a real difference. But do the BIOS upgrade first, that should also make overclocking easier. ASUS has great utilities for that.

As for graphic card updates, I update every time a new version comes out, roughly once a month.

And if you decide to get a new CPU, get one with the K suffix, meaning it is unlocked and ready for overclocking.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
acuariocq

Post by acuariocq »

Hi Jorgen

Thank you again

"First of all, I would urge you to see if the BIOS on the motherboard is up to the latest level, and if not, upgrade it. For my own Z170-A motherboard, the BIOS upgrade made a real difference."

I have no idea how to do this, I'm not too good at computers

"ASUS has great utilities for that."
I'll do some research and will revert

Thanks a lot
Cheers
Carlos
acuariocq

Post by acuariocq »

Hi Jorgen

I downloaded these

H110M-A-ASUS-3805
Intel_Graphics_Accelerator_Driver_win64
SW_ASUS_AISuite3_PPSU_V30013_10514_20180201

As per this page

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H110M ... _Download/

I haven run any one yet as I'm kind of sleepy, I didn't sleep last night so I'll try to get some sleep now

Cheers
Carlos
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

One thing you might also want to do.

On your motherboard there are several devices needing device drivers, and those could benefit from updating. For that I use a utility called Driver Booster, and I liked it so much that I went and bought the paid version.

That is something worth doing.

Have fun with your updating -

Jorgen

acuariocq

Post by acuariocq »

Hi Jorgen

I'm up already :-)

I'll start running all those programs and see if that helps a bit, actually I have never touched the BIOS since I ordered the computer to be built

I hope I won't mess it :-)

Thank you for all the advises I'll report on the results, very much appreciated

Cheers

Carlos
acuariocq

Post by acuariocq »

Hi

Well it seems my Bios was up to date

The other two were rejected by the system and the Driver Booster was destroyed by my antivirus

Thank you

Cheers
Carlos
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Carlos,

You might want to turn anti-virus off when you run these programs and then turn it on afterwards. But it should also be possible to create exceptions in the anti-virus so these programs will run without interference.

Jorgen

acuariocq

Post by acuariocq »

Hello Jorgen

I decided to launch today P3D v5 after having installed NYC by DD

When pressed the cntrl+f9key to record the video with Nvidea the screen frozen I can hear the plane going on and if I change angles I can hear the sound changing but the image remains frozen

On the other hand I see a windows notification:

Application Prepar3D.exe has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware

Any ideas? I'm about to throw the towel with this version

Thanks
Carlos
acuariocq

Post by acuariocq »

Hi

Any ideas of what could be causing an application to block P3D to access the graphic card and why?

Thanks

Carlos
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Carlos,

You might want to check this thread out:

https://windowsreport.com/application-b ... -hardware/

Jorgen

JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

I was not aware that I had to seek your permission to have an opinion.

And it sure as hell is not a simulation either, for the reason mentioned.

Jorgen

acuariocq

Post by acuariocq »

Hi Jorgen

I checked the link you sent me and I realized I had also tried those steps too already and the results were that all was ok

The thing is that this ONLY happens with P3D v.5 with nothing else not even with P3D V4.5

So it is something with the version as it only when I use it that it happens.

Thanks anyway

Regards

Carlos
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

JorgenSA wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:43 pm I was not aware that I had to seek your permission to have an opinion.

And it sure as hell is not a simulation either, for the reason mentioned.

Jorgen
I simply commented :
MSFS [2020] is not an arcade game.
Meaning IMO you are wrong about that.

I also asked you:
Are you flying default airliners or payware airliners in any sims?
That went unanswered?

You mentioned:
“And it sure as hell is not a simulation either, for the reason mentioned.”

Are you a real world pilot / pilot’s license?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)