Aircraft utterly uncontrollable

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Calum WE

Aircraft utterly uncontrollable

Post by Calum WE »

Hi, I have FSX running pretty nicely now on my PC, however the planes in P3D are utterly uncontrollable.

It's nearly impossible to keep them on the runway never mind take off without crashing. They just shoot off in random directions and flip over and crash if they get airborne at all.

I also have the same problem with FS2020.

I would have thought lots of people run more than one flight sim on their PC, but unless I am doing something wrong with both FS2020 and P3D v5, it seems the only one where I can have controllable aircraft is FSX. That was the first flight sim on my PC.

As far as I can see I assign axis and sensitivity etc in P3D, and any calibrating is done through Windoes 10, so could I be misiing somthing that would make things uncontrollable?

Is this normal, or could anyone point me in the right direction for a solution? I have had several goes now over a couple weeks without success.

Thanks
Blaunarwal

Re: Aircraft utterly uncontrollable

Post by Blaunarwal »

I have two ideas. First, your PC is that slow, that it can handle FSX but none of the others.

Second, it's the joystick configuration within P3D or MSFS. As I can't see how it looks at your side, I can only advice to check it there once more. There is a calibration in P3D too. First start with windows calibration of the stick. I think you can reach this with Joy.cpl in the execute bar, Win + R.
Also if you use FSUIPC check how it is configured there. Either you delete the calibration there or do it again for all your axes.

Before you try to takeoff, take a small GA aircraft and check, how the inputs work. You should see all steering inputs on your 3D model. This can give you a hint which axis does not work properly, if it's only partially.

Dan
i7- 13900K, 64 GB DDR-5 SDRAM, Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite AX, KFA2 GeForce RTX 3090 SG 1-Click OC (24GB)
https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods
Calum WE

Post by Calum WE »

It looks like I'm getting somewhere now.

I found another post here about switching control input method from direct input to raw, meaning you could then calibrate within P3D.

That may or may not have made a difference.

However, I have found turning the sensitivity of my yoke and rudder way down, with a big null zone on the rudder, and no null zone on the yoke is now giving me a nicely flyable A2A Cessna.

Hopefully that is my issue resolved. It seems a little bizarre that the sensitivity settings set wrong mean you have an aircraft that is trying to kill you, rather than just one with more responsive controls.
Blaunarwal

Post by Blaunarwal »

Sounds not really perfect to me. I don't need null zones and if your stick is worn that much, you'd see it in FSX too. Also the control input method should not make any difference. If your stick behaves well within Windows (Joy.cpl), then why should it have wrong inputs in P3D? After instalation of P3D it shoud just be fine. Everything which goes wrong is made by the user after this. Therefore the delete all generated files command (within P3D main directory) solves most problems.

Dan
i7- 13900K, 64 GB DDR-5 SDRAM, Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite AX, KFA2 GeForce RTX 3090 SG 1-Click OC (24GB)
https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Calum,

If your controls (stick, yoke etc.) are old, and if they can be taken apart (and put together again!) easily, it might help using contact cleaner spray, applied sparingly to the potentiometers inside.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.