New Joystick? Logitech G940, TM Hotas Warthog, other?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Sand2Silicon

Post by Sand2Silicon »

Looking for current recommendations on Joystick / Flight Controller for Prepar3D. Currently using old Logitech "Dual Action" (think PS2-controller). Not smooth and might be wearing out. I'm a programmer, so don't mind some configuring/tweaking provided it CAN be done correctly. Mostly flying Barron 58 and 737-800 but play with many of the aircraft. Looking to tryout VATSIM soon, and "learning to fly" more proficiently. Budget: $300.USD is really pushing it.

Primarily looking at these two. Would anyone strongly recommend for/against them, or suggest different product? What do most people use? Subjective, age old question, I know, but appreciate the input!

Logitech Flight System G940

+ joystick, throttle, pedals.

+ solid construction,

+ Trim wheels, many customizable buttons, etc.

- EOL, appears out of support.

- Setup config curve with FSX looks high.

Thrustmaster

+ Current Product

+ Similarly Solid Construction

- Lacking Trim Wheels(?)

- More Expensive

- Does not have rudder pedals

- Joystick appears to have NO Z-axis, would have to use POV-hat for rudder(???)
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

Well I have a G940 and hate it. It is a nightmare to program, the FF not at all realistic. And covered in dust but that is my fault I suppose at it lies festering in the basement. I recommend the Saitek X52 which I went back to.
Sand2Silicon

Post by Sand2Silicon »

Canuck, Thanks for the reply! Certainly much cheaper, if no one else chimes in I'll go for the X52. Looks like the X52 Pro is discontinued but there's a few still for sale. Will probably try to order that if I can.
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

Addtionally if it helps I bought my X52 in 2005 and it is still going strong today. I thought it was going faulty last year which is why I got the G940. It seems it must have been a W7 issue because after I had to reinstall the OS after an unrelated virus the twitches and spikes it suffered from were gone. I wish I could like the G940 as it has the split throttle and a myriad of buttons, but as I said it is not easy to adapt to MSFS/P3D and not all the buttons are programmable.
Sand2Silicon

Post by Sand2Silicon »

Canuck, again thanks for the help! Think i'm going to order the X52, just waiting till after the holiday madness before I spend the cash! Appreciate the response.