VR - OculusRift

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
saveriomangione

VR - OculusRift

Post by saveriomangione »

hi everyone,

I have a new question. All those who use virtual reality say they don't want to go back to the classic monitor anymore. I tried to use my Oculus Rift S but I don't see panels and instruments in a sharp way. I tried to set the virtual reality parameters directly from the simulator but I didn't get better results. What parameters do you use? Is it necessary to change the settings of the graphics card too?

Any suggestion or help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Best

Saverio
Saverio Mangione

Windows 11 ~ P3D V5 ~ Intel Core i5 10600K @ 4.80GHz ~ 32GB RAM ~ Nvidia GeForce GTX 3080 ~ PMDG 737NGXu, 747-400, 777 LR+ER, Aerosoft Professional A320/321/330 ~ Oculus Rift S
powayjoe

Re: VR - OculusRift

Post by powayjoe »

Find the Oculus Debug Tool that was installed with Oculus software. Launch the tool and try setting the Pixel Density to 1.5 or 1.6 if your system can handle. You need to set this before entering VR in P3D but can exit VR and try a different setting then renter VR. Additionally keep the tool running and just minimize it so you will now have Oculus and Oculus Debug Tool running in the background before entering VR mode in P3D. Make sure after you enter a new value to hit return and you will see several zeros after the setting i.e. 1.60000 . Also I highly recommend Single Pass Rending mode (SPR). There are other tools that allow Pixel Density changes but this comes with Oculus and is easy to use. When setting the PD higher be careful not to set antialiasing in P3D too high.

Good Luck
Joe
I9-9900KS 5.1GHz, RTX 2080 FTW3 Hybrid, Trident 32GB DDR4 3200 C14, EVO 970 2TB M.2, Corsair AX-850, Gigabyte A-390 Master, HP Reverb G2, 40 inch 4K Screen at 30 Hz, VKB Gunfighter, Virpil Moongoost 50,MFG Crosswind Pedals, CP, Linda, VA, FFTF, P2ATC
saveriomangione

Post by saveriomangione »

powayjoe wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:12 pm Find the Oculus Debug Tool that was installed with Oculus software. Launch the tool and try setting the Pixel Density to 1.5 or 1.6 if your system can handle. You need to set this before entering VR in P3D but can exit VR and try a different setting then renter VR. Additionally keep the tool running and just minimize it so you will now have Oculus and Oculus Debug Tool running in the background before entering VR mode in P3D. Make sure after you enter a new value to hit return and you will see several zeros after the setting i.e. 1.60000 . Also I highly recommend Single Pass Rending mode (SPR). There are other tools that allow Pixel Density changes but this comes with Oculus and is easy to use. When setting the PD higher be careful not to set antialiasing in P3D too high.

Good Luck
Joe
Hi Joe,

thanks a lot for your helpful tip. It seems to be running much better now. What AA would you suggest if you take a look at my machine specs?

Thanks again :-)

Best
Saverio
Saverio Mangione

Windows 11 ~ P3D V5 ~ Intel Core i5 10600K @ 4.80GHz ~ 32GB RAM ~ Nvidia GeForce GTX 3080 ~ PMDG 737NGXu, 747-400, 777 LR+ER, Aerosoft Professional A320/321/330 ~ Oculus Rift S
powayjoe

Post by powayjoe »

That’s a difficult question because there are so many variables to consider. One of the best things to do is run GPU-Z and watch your GPU load. You have to run it while in VR and I look down my nose with my head tilted up to see the values or you can have someone tell you them. You can customize the sensors output screen to just show the basics you want but mainly GPU load is important. Make sure you are not at 100% and try to stay below 95 at least to give some room. You will see the load increase as you increase AA, start with 2 MMAA and then 4 and 8 and see how you like the clarity and what loads you get. You can also try 2 SSAA and see what happens. I run PD 1.6 and 2 SSAA and sometimes 4 SSAA with SPR that looks pretty good but I have a water cooled overclocked RTX 2080 Ti. Remember the PD settings also affect the load and each 0.1 increase is not linear it can be almost exponential in the load on the GPU. I experimented with combinations of PD 1.5 thru 1.7 and AA of 4 and 8 MMAA and 2 and 4 SSAA its a tedious process but rewarding once you’re optimized. Also remember higher resolution clouds can be a big hitter I turn down my cloud resolution.

It’s always a trade off between clarity and stutter free when you start moving your eye candy settings higher so be aware of what’s important to you and adjust accordingly.

Joe
I9-9900KS 5.1GHz, RTX 2080 FTW3 Hybrid, Trident 32GB DDR4 3200 C14, EVO 970 2TB M.2, Corsair AX-850, Gigabyte A-390 Master, HP Reverb G2, 40 inch 4K Screen at 30 Hz, VKB Gunfighter, Virpil Moongoost 50,MFG Crosswind Pedals, CP, Linda, VA, FFTF, P2ATC