I’m stuck Prepar3d v5

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Chasy

I’m stuck Prepar3d v5

Post by Chasy »

Have an i7 9700 16gb ram with Radeon rx 5500 Xtreme 8gb card and was running great for two weeks and suddenly it crashes all the time. It sometimes gives an error message (below) which has me suspecting a video card failure but I have also seen members on this forum who experienced crashes after days of running fine. Here is the error message.

This device (Radeon RD 5500 XT) stopped working for the following reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG. Do you want to stop Prepar3d etc...

Is the problem a sudden failure of the card? Sudden problem with my graphics settings when I have made no recent changes. Been flying same setup for many days. I did a system restore beyond a recent win 10 update in case that was the issue but crashes persist. Flying provided plane but had installed California’s Scenery with no issues. I can return the video card so let me know if you think that is the issue. Btw, the graphics card works fine with normal apps and videos but I don’t have any games to test it’s memory.
Chasy

Re: I’m stuck Prepar3d v5

Post by Chasy »

Hmmm...I reinstalled the latest graphics driver and it is working so far...I will report back
Chasy

Post by Chasy »

After tests it appears switching airplanes to the Lockheed Chase plane causes a Program crash and corruption of my graphics driver...the program will crash before takeoff no matter what airplane I have selected until I reload the graphics driver, which brings back normal operation....until I again select the Chase plane and the sim will crash before takeoff, no matter what plane I have selected, until I reload my graphics driver again...sounds nuts doesn’t it? You can bet I won’t be flying the chase plane.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Chasy wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:48 am After tests it appears switching airplanes to the Lockheed Chase plane causes a Program crash and corruption of my graphics driver...the program will crash before takeoff no matter what airplane I have selected until I reload the graphics driver, which brings back normal operation....until I again select the Chase plane and the sim will crash before takeoff, no matter what plane I have selected, until I reload my graphics driver again...sounds nuts doesn’t it? You can bet I won’t be flying the chase plane.
You mentioned:
"it appears switching airplanes to the Lockheed Chase plane causes a Program crash and corruption of my graphics driver."

Did you mean the LM-Cuase aircraft in the P3D v5 lineup?

Is your P3D default flight the LM F35 at KRND (when you start P3D)?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Chasy

Post by Chasy »

I had typed a reply and it was 86’ed due to site maintenance. I’ll try again. Yes, the default is F35 at KRND. I have saved some low wing configs and they all seem to work fine. Trying to fly the LM Cuase will load ok but crashes every time during preflight checks and seems to somehow corrupt my graphics software. A reinstall of the graphics card software restores operation of the low wings. Now I’m flying from 29R at KFAT if that makes any difference. I have logged quite a few hours flying different low wings included with the Pro version V but I don’t dare try flying the Cuase. Thanks much for trying to help!
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Chasy wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:40 am I had typed a reply and it was 86’ed due to site maintenance. I’ll try again. Yes, the default is F35 at KRND. I have saved some low wing configs and they all seem to work fine. Trying to fly the LM Cuase will load ok but crashes every time during preflight checks and seems to somehow corrupt my graphics software. A reinstall of the graphics card software restores operation of the low wings. Now I’m flying from 29R at KFAT if that makes any difference. I have logged quite a few hours flying different low wings included with the Pro version V but I don’t dare try flying the Cuase. Thanks much for trying to help!
You mentioned:
" I have saved some low wing configs and they all seem to work fine. "

What does that mean?
Best Regards,
Chasy

Post by Chasy »

It means I have saved some low wing airplanes and airport scenarios (Configurations) that I use When starting the sim.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Chasy wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:07 pm It means I have saved some low wing airplanes and airport scenarios (Configurations) that I use When starting the sim.
Is that Save Scenario (saving a flight) , aircraft, at an airport or in flight, engines running or cold and dark, for example?

Do you use your saved configurations as a default flight rather than the F35 at KRND?
Best Regards,
Chasy

Post by Chasy »

Aircraft at airport...specifically A11 at KFAT, my home airport. Engine running and in takeoff position runway 29R. When the program starts it comes up with F35 at KRND...I select load and choose one of my saved aircraft/airport choices. I’m getting lots of flight practice now with only some minor anomalies, for example I once landed with gear indicated down and locked but the outside view showed no wheels or gear down and the plane defying gravity when parked. I’m overall very happy with the program, especially the realism of the clouds and terrain and don’t regret purchasing the Pro version at all. Thanks again for your help and if you have any suggestions for a P3dV5 newbie I’m all ears!
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Chasy wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:17 am Aircraft at airport...specifically A11 at KFAT, my home airport. Engine running and in takeoff position runway 29R. When the program starts it comes up with F35 at KRND...I select load and choose one of my saved aircraft/airport choices. I’m getting lots of flight practice now with only some minor anomalies, for example I once landed with gear indicated down and locked but the outside view showed no wheels or gear down and the plane defying gravity when parked. I’m overall very happy with the program, especially the realism of the clouds and terrain and don’t regret purchasing the Pro version at all. Thanks again for your help and if you have any suggestions for a P3dV5 newbie I’m all ears!
You mentioned:
"Aircraft at airport...specifically A11 at KFAT, my home airport. Engine running and in takeoff position runway 29R. When the program starts it comes up with F35 at KRND...I select load and choose one of my saved aircraft/airport choices"

What is A11?

Were your saved aircraft/airport choices created and saved in P3Dv5?

Or were they imported from previous versions of P3D or another flight sim like FSX for example?

Which aircraft are you using?
For example, freeware, payware , approved for P3Dv5 or not?
Best Regards,
Chasy

Post by Chasy »

Martyson, I’m sorry, we keep dancing around terms and labels. This time I’m in front of my sim puter. Most of my sim time has been flying the provided Carenado AC11 Commander 114. I have not yet tried any addons or adding other aircraft, freeware etc. Only thing I have added is the California Scenery photo-real fsx for P3dV. Saved airplanes and airports were created and saved in P3dV. In addition to Carenado AC11 I have flown the provided Mooney Bravo, Mooney Acclaim Garmin and Piper Cub. Only had a problem with the LM CUASE. Hope this helps to clear up things. Thanks
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

@Chasy,

You initially mentioned:
" I can return the video card so let me know if you think that is the issue."

Did you build your own PC or is it a store purchased name brand PC?

You later mentioned:
" California Scenery photo-real fsx for P3dV"

Where did you get this scenery?
Did it come with an installer for P3Dv5?
Best Regards,
Chasy

Post by Chasy »

Martyson, more interesting questions...built the pc myself Aorus Z390 motherboard, Intel i7 9700k processor, 3.6ghz not overclocked at this point, 16gb DDR4 ram, 1tb SSD, Win10 64bit, AMD Radeon 5500xt 8gb graphics card also not overclocked yet and all up to date. The scenery software came from flyawaysimulations and had instructions for P3dV5 install, which I followed. Running recent hot fix for P3DV5. Hope this gives you more info...might as well give you the flying hardware too....Honeywell Aeronotica yoke and switches along with Saitek Logitech rudder/brake pedals. Still playing with the Program settings, although it appears to be stable with many settings at high to very high. General settings are default, traffic settings are off, realism is 100%, no addons, scenery California is set to 1, display res is set to 2560x1440x32, v sync is on as my monitor has a 240hz refresh, target frame rate is 92. World terrain settings are set to ultra, no water effects turned on, special effects set high, scenery complexity set to dense, very high, normal and dense, cloud res is set high. Shadow quality and distance set to medium. Dynamic lighting checked. That is pretty much it. Thanks for your feedback!
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

@Chasy,

You mentioned:
"..built the pc myself Aorus Z390 motherboard, Intel i7 9700k processor, 3.6ghz not overclocked at this point, 16gb DDR4 ram, 1tb SSD, Win10 64bit, AMD Radeon 5500xt 8gb graphics card also not overclocked yet and all up to date. The scenery software came from flyawaysimulations and had instructions for P3dV5 install, which I followed."

You could run through all the General Debugging Steps :
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=123246
Best Regards,
Chasy

Post by Chasy »

Thanks Vaughn! Will do.