Victoria Australia Composite Scenery

Forum for Prepar3D Developers to show off their work or post about their add-ons or content created for Prepar3D
NormanLGibson

Victoria Australia Composite Scenery

Post by NormanLGibson »

I have been experimenting with this technique and attach a few screenshots of what I have finally come up with. Since I am showing my scenery over ORBX AUv2, I have requested and have kindly received permission from ORBX. The scenery will work with default scenery, but ORBX is much superior.

The following screenshot shows a scenery layer containing just a composite of the imagery and underlying landclass water over Port Phillip Bay. The land is a composite of the imagery resampled at LOD 12 and as a complete Blended Mask shown over ORBX SCenery.

The differences between waters can be seen below. The water below the aircraft is a composite whilst above the nose is not.

The land below is ORBX AU2 which you will see from the cockpit around your aircraft. The composite can also be seen further out. Aircraft are flown from the cockpit thus you would normally only get this view if banking steeply.

A video showing ORBX textures and autogen at low level then transitioning to imagery at higher altitude.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGxFGxR ... e=youtu.be

The size of the Victorian scenery will be under 1GB.
NormanLGibson

Re: Victoria Australia Composite Scenery

Post by NormanLGibson »

A better shot of the water and coastline also showing the wave breaks adding to the scene.
In short, the water is a full composite resampled at LOD13, whilst the land is a composite resampled at LOD12, thus leaving the Landclass to mostly show below and around the aircraft at lower altitudes.

The distant water has not yet been resampled.
NormanLGibson

Post by NormanLGibson »

A few nice shots in the SE corner of the state.

The aircraft at 30,000ft.

Lower altitude. ORBX AU2 in front of the wing with the composite above the wing tip. The change is hardly noticeable in this screenshot.
NormanLGibson

Post by NormanLGibson »

East Coast complete

I have used a lighter shade of grey in the blend mask for these inland lakes as they are mostly grey/green
NormanLGibson

Post by NormanLGibson »

Inland nearing completion. The composite water looks good, giving variations in the water colors.
Screenshots at 32,000ft.

NormanLGibson

Post by NormanLGibson »

I have completed Victoria and have now decided to release the whole of SE Australia as one composite package which will include Victoria, Tasmania and NSW. Tasmania is now also complete.

The following are Tasmania

Hobart in the distance

NW Corner

West Coast
The composite shows below the aircraft

NormanLGibson

Post by NormanLGibson »

Tested in v5. Looks nice.

The whole of SE Australia is looking at maybe less than 10GB!
NormanLGibson

Post by NormanLGibson »

A few over NSW - v5.
For my older system, v 5 is so much superior to v4. Better graphics, faster load time and much smoother.

NormanLGibson

Post by NormanLGibson »

Here is a video testing a descent from above 20,000ft over western NSW down to a low altitude. At 1m 10s you will begin to see ORBX autogen "Bleed" through the composite then ORBX AUv2 textures will begin to show around your aircraft. You would need ORBX AU2 for this effect, however it will still work with default ground textures. No other scenery is changed, the composite sits above your Landclass in the scenery library.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TAUJheKnbo