Saitek Yolk Trim Hat won’t change view anymore

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Martyson

Re: Saitek Yolk Trim Hat won’t change view anymore

Post by Martyson »

Sabre57 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:26 pm
Martyson wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:31 pm
Sabre57 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:36 pm The hat switch is not recognized as an axis by P3d. You configure it under keyboard/buttons section in controls. Do a search on the pan command and you should see how its setup.

On another note, every once in a while my control scheme gets messed up and I need to correct a few key combinations. I attribute this to wonky USB in windows. This happens randomly, even when no changes have been made to my system, and the only way I’ve been able to correct it is to reboot. Unfortunately you have to catch this before you start p3d or the controls get changed.
Have you had the same problem reported here where the Saitek Yoke Hat switch won't change view?
Not this exact issue. But several others related to usb issues. So many that I wired in a single pull 5 pole switch so I could isolate the yoke during boot up. He shouldn’t need the saitek software but he may need the saitek drivers. Some folks have reported that windows drivers work just fine. They never worked for me. It almost sounds if the hat is somehow setup to do a look up always command no matter which way the hat is pushed. One other thing to consider is if mouse panning was somehow turned on creating a controller conflict.
Where you using a Saitek yoke and throttle setup?

And when he is having a problems using the yoke HAT switch / (elevator trim switch?) the Saitek software sure helps check the hardware out .
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Sabre57 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:31 pm Two other things I just thought about. Maybe either the controls file or the config file is corrupt and should be regenerated.
He had all working ok for three days so sure some file could have become corrupted.
Best Regards,
A.BETTAN

Post by A.BETTAN »

Hello everyone

browsing many simulation forums (and using a SAITEK/LOGITECH yoke), I read several posts indicating that the yoke under P3D doesn't need any saitek programs nor drivers for they interfere whith P3D .

Personally, I use SPAD.neXt to interface my hardware (yoke and two quadrants, radiopanel, multipanel, rudder pedals).
You can assign various events (including scripts) to any axis or button and make a profile specific for an airplane (or a type of planes).
Well, sometimes, you'll have to go to Options Panel in P3D to verify that you are not superseeded by a defaut assignment.

To stay with the hat switch, have a look at the commands sent to the simulator for each position of the switch :
Image.

Hope this may help you.
Simmer depuis FS1 en 1982 !!!, passé à P3DV4.5
Config : WIN10, 64 bits. AMD Ryzen 7 4,4GHz, 16G RAM, GeForce GTX1070 8G
SAITEK proflight, multipanel, radiopanel, rudder, Thrustmaster Cougar
Site : fermé, désolé...
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Another HAT problem reported here:
viewtopic.php?f=6315&t=136046
Best Regards,
JimMcC

Re: Saitek Yoke Trim Hat won’t change view anymore

Post by JimMcC »

My stepson finally came home from college for the weekend and we tried out some of everyone’s suggestions. We made some progress, thought we might have solved it, but still can’t get this hat switch configured correctly.

Went under options, controls, buttons/keyboards assignments, Saitek Yoke Controls, views, and searched for pan. Found the eight different directions, none were assigned anything. Tried to assign the hat switch to the proper directions, but it would only allow us to make one directional choice to “hat switch 1”. So whatever pan direction we changed/assigned last, that is the direction it would pan no matter which way you used the hat switch. We tried to use the change option, the new option, putting a check mark in the boxes to the far right, nothing would allow us to keep the direction we assigned to pan except the last selection we made.

Not sure if it was Marty or Sabre who mentioned that mouse panning might be turned on and creating a conflict. I wonder if this might be goin* on because you can pan around with the space bar on the laptop keyboard. We couldn’t find a way to turn “mouse panning” off. How can we do that?

A. Bettan showed a table/page that showed the hat switch and events and actions assigned to it. Where can we find this in P3D?

Thanks for the help.
richardbowles2020

Re: Saitek Yoke Trim Hat won’t change view anymore

Post by richardbowles2020 »

JimMcC wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:14 pm My stepson finally came home from college for the weekend and we tried out some of everyone’s suggestions. We made some progress, thought we might have solved it, but still can’t get this hat switch configured correctly. Went under options, controls, buttons/keyboards assignments, Saitek Yoke Controls, views, and searched for pan.
Have you tried deleting the enhanced PCI to USB Host Controllers from the device manager, and then go to ACTION - Scan for hardware change

proessays
MHargrove

Post by MHargrove »

One issue to examine is whether Windows 10 USB "enhanced power management" is messing with you. In their infinite wisdom, Microsoft enables an especially demented mechanism to "help" with managing power on all USB ports. This can really mess with game controllers (although it tends to interfere more with higher-power USB devices like the various Saitek panels than with standard game controller like a yoke).

Search google for 'Disable USB enhanced power management' and you'll find lots a ways to fix that particular issue.

It honestly doesn't sound like this is the problem, but it should be eliminated to remove any doubt.

The advice you're getting is all sound -- each of the hat switch positions need to be mapped to a 'pan' command. Do NOT try to use the Logitech/Saitek drivers -- they're just...bad. Really bad.

Ultimately, what you're doing is manipulating a camera in the simulator. This can be done with simulator PAN commands directly, or indirectly with a number of add-on utilities. ChaseCam or Ezdok, for example, both permit smooth panning using the hat switch. Somebody already suggested SPAD.Next, an invaluable tool (in my opinion) for any simmer. FSUIPC, another utility that I'd guess 90% of all serious simmers use, also has facilities for mapping controls to simulator commands.

One thing to sort-of be aware of: the hat switch, also called the POV switch ("point of view") is treated differently from a 'regular' button in many of the various controller-to-command mapping applications. Even Windows treats it differently, as you'll see if you bring up the USB Game Controller control panel in Windows. It will show you the axes for the yoke, the buttons on the yoke, and a "Point of View Hat" depiction. The POV Hat is definitely not an axis (as others have said), but it's not exactly a button either. Some software let's you treat it as a button -- but it's sort of NOT a button. :-)

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO