Re-installing the Scenery Component of P3Dv4.5hf#2

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
edpatino

Re-installing the Scenery Component of P3Dv4.5hf#2

Postby edpatino » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:52 pm

Hi:
Due to a possible data corruption, I'm considering re-installing the Scenery component of P3Dv4.5(hf2). I've never done this before, as all the updates I've made so far had been on the Client and/or the Content components only.
Some questions:
1. Which would be the addon scenery that would be affected during the re-installation process, if any?.
2. The elevation data for 3rd. party airports normally located in the <P3D main folder>\Scenery\World\Scenery folder would be deleted during the re-installation?.
2. I suppose a new scenery.cfg file will be built, so it would be good to have a backup of the old one and copy it back after the re-install?.
Any other suggestion to make this process as painless as possible?.
Any help is appreciated.
Cheers, Ed

Blaunarwal

Re: Re-installing the Scenery Component of P3Dv4.5hf#2

Postby Blaunarwal » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:12 am

I installed the full P3D always after an update and all other sceneries and aircraft remained as they were before. Generally addons with textures in the p3d4 directories, like ORBX Global or effects, like precipitFX, will need a reinstall, because their modifications will be overwritten by default files.

So the procedure is to uninstall P3D4 completely, then install P3D4 completely to the same location as before. Do not delete any remaining directories, since they may contain data of your other addons. Especially world\scenery contains altitude files for sceneries, traffic files. Think about disabling default traffic for aircraft, if you use other ai traffic.
Then reinstall the few addons i explained above. ORBX escpecially has a manual how to update P3D4 somewhere, showing how to update their addons afterwards.

Dan
GPU KFA2 RTX2080 Super Ex

edpatino

Postby edpatino » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:30 pm

Hi Dan:
Thanks for the help. I'm just thinking to uninstall and reinstall the Scenery Component, not the Client nor the Content at this time. I'm not updating P3D, I run the latest version (v4.5 hf#2) already, but suspect that some data related to default scenery is probably corrupted due to a faulty installation of a navaid database addon.
So, if I understand you well, for the Scenery part I just only need to uninstall such component and reinstall it without touching (I mean deleting, moving, etc.) any of the scenery\world\scenery traffic and airport elevation files. Regarding ORBX, since I'm not touching the Content, I don't think I'd need to reinstall any ORBX related stuff.
Am I right?, or do you have another suggestion?.
Thanks again, Ed

Blaunarwal

Postby Blaunarwal » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:30 am

Hi Ed

I´d recommend to uninstall/install the full P3D. Just to make a perfect start. It does not cost you more time, really. All .cfg files remain unchanged. If you have further problems you may need to delete those generated files to have them new. This solves usually all problems but some settings will be lost. You could keep those files backuped to copy some settings in again later. There´s a manual here how to delete generated files under letter F https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 2&t=128394.

Dan

edpatino

Postby edpatino » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:44 am

Hi Dan:
Thanks very much for your tips.
I'm trying in other different ways. The last thing I want to do is a complete re-install of P3D, though I know it would be the best solution.
Cheers and happy seasons, Ed

cirurgiao

Postby cirurgiao » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:43 pm

Hi, Dan
This topic was one that I was trying to find. I'm having a lot of help from another member, Jorgen, but I don't want to spend all his pacience.
I have 3 1TB SSD (C:\OS + E:\P3Dv4_4.5_no HF + G:\Sceneries_Addons)
Upgrading to a new and much more powerful system I need some clarification:
De-activating P3Dv4 (with client uninstall) before changing to new system will leave both Content & Scenery folders.
Any issues if I run P3Dv4.5+HF2 full installer without uninstalling "old" P3Dv4.5 Content & Scenery folders?

Complete uninstall + de-activation BEFORE reinstalling it to the same E:\P3Dv4 drive will make changes in the extra folders inside P3D main root when I run P3Dv4.5+HF2 full installer?

Will I need to reinstall aircrafts too?

PS1: I sent questions about sceneries to ORBX & FSDreamteam (in this new config.)
PS2: I see that you understand about OVC (running @ 5.0GHz). Help with how/where to get instructions to OVC my system will be very nice indeed.
Tks
Eduardo Passos
Eduardo Passos

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:45 pm

@Eduardo Passos,

Are you building a new PC (user, custom built PC) or are you upgrading an old PC by yourself?

I seen your other post here:
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 13#p206813
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Blaunarwal

Postby Blaunarwal » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:24 pm

Hi, Dan
This topic was one that I was trying to find. I'm having a lot of help from another member, Jorgen, but I don't want to spend all his pacience.
I have 3 1TB SSD (C:\OS + E:\P3Dv4_4.5_no HF + G:\Sceneries_Addons)
Upgrading to a new and much more powerful system I need some clarification:
De-activating P3Dv4 (with client uninstall) before changing to new system will leave both Content & Scenery folders.
Any issues if I run P3Dv4.5+HF2 full installer without uninstalling "old" P3Dv4.5 Content & Scenery folders?

Complete uninstall + de-activation BEFORE reinstalling it to the same E:\P3Dv4 drive will make changes in the extra folders inside P3D main root when I run P3Dv4.5+HF2 full installer?

Will I need to reinstall aircrafts too?

PS1: I sent questions about sceneries to ORBX & FSDreamteam (in this new config.)
PS2: I see that you understand about OVC (running @ 5.0GHz). Help with how/where to get instructions to OVC my system will be very nice indeed.
Tks
Eduardo Passos
If you change your hardware, it is safe to de-activate P3D first. You can achieve this by uninstalling the client only and upon the question to deactivate P3D to do this. After changing the motherboard and cpu, installing drivers etc. you can install p3d client again and reactivate. All sceneries and aircraft remain with this method. You could even do a full uninstall/install, but this has an effect to the effects and textures directories and disabled files which may be in conflict with other sceneries may become active again. An example would be trafficaircraft.bgl which is mostly disabled by other ai traffic programs is often active again.

P3D4 has really become easy to upgrade or repair.

About OC, if you're lucky to have an ASUS Board, you can easily switch to an oc mode via BIOS. Maybe other manufacturers also have this. If there's no mode, i found to google the board name with "overclock" will lead you to instructions how to set the factors right. Did this before with my old Z77.

Regards

Dan

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:28 am

Just a caution:

If your PC , CPU or GPU is under warranty you may want to verify if the warranty is voided by user overclocking.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Blaunarwal

Postby Blaunarwal » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:54 pm

Warranty is one thing, the other is controlling temperature. There are programs coming with the board supplier to read temperature of the cpu and the board etc. I don´t know the actual limits but check to not go above 80 C. This should be achieved with air cooling only if everything is free of dust and the vents are circulation air the right way. Other option is liquid cooling which should be a bit more efficent.

cirurgiao

Postby cirurgiao » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:59 pm

Tks to you. My new MB will be an Asus. I have a watercooler & a case with more than enough ventilation (1 front panel + 4 in lateral door).
Eduardo Passos

Blaunarwal

Postby Blaunarwal » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:27 am

Tks to you. My new MB will be an Asus. I have a watercooler & a case with more than enough ventilation (1 front panel + 4 in lateral door).
I just saw, there are new CPUs with 12 cores i9-10920X and 14 cores Core i9-10940X available from Intel. If you have time and money, go for these. The mobo for these require another socket LGA 2066. The former CPUs are great too.

cirurgiao

Postby cirurgiao » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:36 am

Hi, Blaunarwal.
Yes, I bought these:
Asus Prime X299 Deluxe socket LGA 2066 MoBo + Intel I9-10940X processor + Galax GeForce RTX 2080TI GC and since both motherboard & processor allow up to 256GB DDR4 RAM I got 128GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3000 (8x16GB) memory to get the best of my hardware.
Last time I bought more RAM memory than processor allowed so lost money. Now I fixed it not commiting the same mistake.
Hope that I9-10940X 14 cores @ 3.30GHz will be enought to get the best of P3Dv4 (I use my pc as a multitask).
Since I'm naive (all of you being very helpful) could you clarify me if there is a minimum GHz required to run P3Dv4 smoothly? I understand that actually all hardware run a multicore processor with different frequencies and I confess that before buying this I thought that a 14-core @ 3.30GHz would be really very very fast for this simulator without any change at all but maybe I'm wrong and will need to OVC it to a faster frequency.
Tks
PS hope that everyone has a better 2020
Eduardo Passos

Return to “Prepar3D Installation and Installer Questions”