HDD with P3D failed, Unable to reinstall "Invalid Drive"

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
Sigma119

HDD with P3D failed, Unable to reinstall "Invalid Drive"

Post by Sigma119 »

I am having an issue where I am unable to reinstall the client for P3d after my hard drive failed that contained the programs files. https://i.imgur.com/SavQJKD.png
My main issue right now is getting the executable launcher back for p3d.
Trying to run the files from the 4.5.12.30293 update
I am getting a "Invalid Drive: T:\" due to that drive no longer existing and it won't allow me to change the directory. I attempted just running the "Setup_Prepare3D" and repair the files because apparently the program believed all the files were already installed so it only gave me the option to uninstall and or repair. Unfortunately this solution isn't presenting me with any changes. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, then running the "Install_Client.msi" file and I am still getting the same error.

I then tried deleting/removing the folders from Program Data, LocalAppData, and AppdataRoaming and still no luck

I did find another forum post on here where someone had the same issue but it was for P3dV3 not V4, but I still have my C drive, and the original files (lacking all the core essential ones tho)
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=123069

Any help would be appreciated~
downscc

Re: HDD with P3D failed, Unable to reinstall "Invalid Drive"

Post by downscc »

I assume your P3D was installed to a drive designated T:\?
You tried uninstalling P3D with Windows Settings>Apps and that failed because T:\ is gone?

The post that you linked to will work the same for v4 and a v3 installation issue. The bottom line is that Windows uses a cached version of the application's installer to uninstall an application, and that fails because of the drive failure. You have to remove all remnants of P3D before you can proceed and using CCleaner is one way. I don't recommend CCleaner because, well it's free and it sometimes causes unintended problems.

Google "windows 10 unable to uninstall programs" and you'll find alternatives. I recommend and have used a free tool by Microsoft used to remove programs that cannot be removed with the normal Windows App uninstall.

Google is your friend: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... or-removed
Dan Downs
KCRP
Sigma119

Post by Sigma119 »

Thank you! And sorta. You are correct that p3d was on the T drive that no longer is usable, and I wasn't using windows uninstall program to remove the software (it wasn't visible for p3v4) but I was using the Setup_P3D.exe file to do that. Fortunately that didn't do anything.

Now I tried using the tool your suggested but its asking for a 38 character product code which I am not entirely sure what that is for P3D. Looking at the other forum post, I tried the other codes but those were not working (maybe because they didn't have dashes throughout the code?).

Looking at my regedit I can see prepar3d V4 still exists within Current_user folder here though, I wonder if simply changing the directory here for the AppPath will maybe fix the problem. I worry though if this could corrupt the system, as I am extremely cautious messing around in the registry editor. Otherwise I will try the other method listed in the linked forum post.

Thank you
Sigma119

Post by Sigma119 »

Also, I tried looking for the codes within "Installer" in registry and I am unable to find the codes listed on the other forum post except the client one which might be because I started installing p3dv3 the other day, but stopped it.
downscc

Post by downscc »

Sigma119 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:05 am Also, I tried looking for the codes within "Installer" in registry and I am unable to find the codes listed on the other forum post except the client one which might be because I started installing p3dv3 the other day, but stopped it.
Don't mess with the registry unless you know what you are doing. Use the Windows program removal tool. It is possible that if you make your own changes to the registry then not even registry tools will be able to fix the problem because you made it worse.

The product code could be your Windows activation code. It's been a couple years since I used that tool and don't remember the details, but that would be my guess. Read the instructions.
Dan Downs
KCRP
Sigma119

Post by Sigma119 »

Still having no luck and getting the same error with trying to install the "Install_Client.msi" file. It's getting an error because it can't find drive T:/. I do not believe windows can even find where the program is and whether it was uninstalled already or not but this is really frustrating.
I decided that it was safe to delete keys in the registry that were associated with P3dV4 but that didn't resolve the issue I am still having.

I tried the tool and it doesn't see "prepar3dv4" anywhere as well.

Is it possible to escalate this higher?
Sigma119

Post by Sigma119 »

Sigma119 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:09 pm Still having no luck and getting the same error with trying to install the "Install_Client.msi" file. It's getting an error because it can't find drive T:/. I do not believe windows can even find where the program is and whether it was uninstalled already or not but this is really frustrating.
I decided that it was safe to delete keys in the registry that were associated with P3dV4 but that didn't resolve the issue I am still having.

I tried the tool and it doesn't see "prepar3dv4" anywhere as well.

Is it possible to escalate this higher?
Scratch that, I managed to get the .msi to work. I reran the setup wizard and the "Install_client" finally worked