Computer build; Lockheed help please

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
benniehanas

Post by benniehanas »

I am playing FSX on a laptop now and am building a PC currently. I will also be using the PC for Cisco Voice and VM Ware VCP labbing also. Specs:

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme with 3930 CPU, Corsair 180g SSD

I have 1200 w PSU so I can use whatever I want. I don't know if Prepar works better with AMD or Nvidia. I do want to wait for the GTX 685 so I can just have one big GPU as I heard that the program doesn't really use multi GPU well and a multi setup could make things worse (comes out in October/November).

Everything will be watercooled as I have 2 480 radiators to use in a single loop setup so I will be shooting for at least 4.5-5.0 ghz. I would like to have around 40-50 fps or so.

Another few questions: When might Lockheed rewrite the code to use more of the GPU, and does it use dx11 yet? And, if it does, would that open doors for better graphics in the game, or not?

I want to have 3 monitors down the road, would it be better to use the GPU software for that, or another method?

A side question, does anyone know of a good single or smaller multi engine payware that does well with accurate spins, stalls, and slipping/skidding?
FSMP

Post by FSMP »

Quote:
Quote from benniehanas on June 5, 2012, 11:52

A side question, does anyone know of a good single or smaller multi engine payware that does well with accurate spins, stalls, and slipping/skidding?

For SINGLE engine ---- Realair's new Lancair Legacy
Beau Hollis
Lockheed Martin

Post by Beau Hollis »

D3D11 Rendering system is in the works. The primary focus is improved performance and GPU utilization. We use both AMD and NVidia products in our development environment and are not targeting either platform specifically. For Prepar3D 1.x the processor and disk io are the primary bottle-necks. There are a few threads where users have posted their system specs and performance results. I would suggest checking them out.

Thanks,

Beau
Beau Hollis
Prepar3D Software Architect
benniehanas

Post by benniehanas »

D3D11 will enable multi GPU processing? Also, will it utalize the GPU more than the CPU, or how will it work?
Zach Heylmun

Post by Zach Heylmun »

Multi-GPU processing is already enabled. However, due to the serial nature of much of the simulator, the primary performance bottleneck tends to be the processor, reducing the performance benefits of multi-GPU setups. The goal with the new rendering system is to allow the engine to better take advantage of modern hardware.
benniehanas

Post by benniehanas »

is prepar 3d going to support track ir 5 in the near future?
Jarczynski

Post by Jarczynski »