When will bugs in the original ESP code be fixed?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Ray Proudfoot

When will bugs in the original ESP code be fixed?

Postby Ray Proudfoot » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:56 pm

I love what LM have done to P3D and it’s a big improvement over FSX / ESP. But despite all the visual improvements some bugs from the original code remain. The one that irritates me the most relates to how Ai use available runways.

It is not possible to close one end of a runway for takeoff or landing. Both ends must be the same. This is so frustrating at large airports with multiple runways as some runways will never be used for landings and takeoffs. Only one end will.But it’s an all or nothing situation.

I don’t know what the situation is regarding changing code in the original ESP. If you’re not allowed to do it then please just say so and the matter is closed.

But if you do have the authority to amend the code then please change it so each end of a runway can be treated independently of the other end. It would make Ai operations so much better for those of us who use popular packages like AIG.

I know you don’t normally reply to user requests but it would be appreciated if you could indicate if you have read this and a confirmation one way or the other would be very much appreciated.
Ray (Cheshire, England).

System: P3D v4.5, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, Intel i7-8086K o/c to 4.6GHz, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, BenQ 32” UHD monitor.

Ray Proudfoot

Re: When will bugs in the original ESP code be fixed?

Postby Ray Proudfoot » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:15 am

Come on L-M. I’ve asked a reasonable question and I am a customer. Why can’t you interact with us and answer a simple, polite question?
Ray (Cheshire, England).

System: P3D v4.5, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, Intel i7-8086K o/c to 4.6GHz, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, BenQ 32” UHD monitor.

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:09 pm

There is about 3 things here in life you can be certain of:

1. Taxes

2. Death

3. That tech support sees (and reads) all messages here in the forum.

Now, replying as you want them to is a different matter, because that would depend on their corporate policies, about which neither you nor I know anything.

Given the normal way that tech support works, however, I would strongly assume that a reply would be forthcoming if and when (and then only) they know for certain that a resolution has been found.

That you have set your expectations differently is not their problem. Publishing your request repeatedly will have no effect at all, regarding bringing the matter to a resolution.

Jorgen

Ray Proudfoot

Postby Ray Proudfoot » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:33 pm

Thanks Jorgan. That's a definite is it? They do read all messages? So what will happen first? A snowball appearing in hell or these long-standing bugs being fixed?

L-M have done wonders for the visual side of things plus CPU/GPU workload but these bugs do take the shine off the product.
Ray (Cheshire, England).

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:07 pm

They do indeed read all the messages, because:

1. It is their job, and

2. They are also moderators, responsible for removing "inappropriate messages".

I do not know if hell exists, but snowballs and tech support does. And another part of the tech support job (which sometimes is the job from hell) is to channel issues such as yours to the developers. Now what they do (or rather can do) about it is a different matter, because, as in all corporate environments, there are overall goals, priorities etc etc yada yada... I think you can finish this one up yourself. But I don't really think anyone, including developers, likes bugs of any kind in their software.

The question is also, of course, whether this can be fixed in a hotfix, or it will be fixed in v. 4.6 or 5.0, or....

Jorgen
Consultant to the Supreme Devil in several Hell Tech Support departments - but it can also be fun!

MikeB54

Postby MikeB54 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:29 pm

Don't confuse "bug" with "functioning as designed". Just because the AI wasn't programmed to mimic real life operation at all airports doesn't mean it's a bug. If anything, it's a "feature request".

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:48 pm

Yes, but the thing is that I have experienced reported, well documented bugs being written off "as designed" (described in another post in these hallowed threads).

Now, please take note that I am NOT - MOST DEFINITELY ABSOLUTELY NOT - saying that this is happening here. I have seen that happen only once, and the company in question paid the ultimate price.

But there are bugs that can be fixed, and then there are bugs that cannot be fixed. Unfortunately, that is a fact of life.

Jorgen

Ray Proudfoot

Postby Ray Proudfoot » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:17 pm

They do indeed read all the messages, because:

1. It is their job, and

2. They are also moderators, responsible for removing "inappropriate messages".

I do not know if hell exists, but snowballs and tech support does. And another part of the tech support job (which sometimes is the job from hell) is to channel issues such as yours to the developers. Now what they do (or rather can do) about it is a different matter, because, as in all corporate environments, there are overall goals, priorities etc etc yada yada... I think you can finish this one up yourself. But I don't really think anyone, including developers, likes bugs of any kind in their software.

The question is also, of course, whether this can be fixed in a hotfix, or it will be fixed in v. 4.6 or 5.0, or....

Jorgen
Consultant to the Supreme Devil in several Hell Tech Support departments - but it can also be fun!
Nice to see you have kept your sense of humour Jorgen. :-) GIven we are now on the 4th iteration of P3D you would hope that things like this would have been addressed by now. But without any public statement we're none the wiser as to what their intentions are. Hence my request for a statement either here or in a Public Announcement. I live in hope.
Ray (Cheshire, England).

Ray Proudfoot

Postby Ray Proudfoot » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:19 pm

Don't confuse "bug" with "functioning as designed". Just because the AI wasn't programmed to mimic real life operation at all airports doesn't mean it's a bug. If anything, it's a "feature request".
Whether it's by design or accident it is what it is but causes all sorts of problems because a flight simulator should mimic the real world wherever possible. Given how much can be configured in P3D it's not unreasonable for this to be changed so both ends of a runway can be configured as required.
Ray (Cheshire, England).

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”