Upgrade CPU/ Motherboard

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
skmcconnell361

Upgrade CPU/ Motherboard

Post by skmcconnell361 »

I plan on upgrading my CPU from AMD FX6300 to an AMD Ryzen 7 and motherboard combo,
My question should I uninstall P3D before swapping out the hardware?
JorgenSA

Re: Upgrade CPU/ Motherboard

Post by JorgenSA »

Yes, definitely. L-M recommends this in a sticky.

But, if you are changing motherboard and CPU, why not go to the preferred Intel CPUs and a corresponding motherboard?

I know I am stirring up a hornet's nest, but Intel CPUs simply are more efficient in processing instructions per clock cycle.

Read up on the topic before you commit your money.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
AnkH

Post by AnkH »

I would rather wait until the Ryzen 3000 family of processors is released to market. Does not make sense to buy an "old" Ryzen now, but that is just my opinion.
------------------
Chris

Hardware: i7 8700K@5.0GHz, 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14 RAM, Gigabyte Aorus GTX-1080Ti OC, Samsung SSDs (250GB for OS, 2TB for P3D), Windows 10 Home
CplDaniel

Post by CplDaniel »

Yes, you should definitely wait 2-weeks for the new Ryzen launch reviews to come in, or go Intel to be on the safe side. We are getting the first big shakeup in the CPU market in almost a decade. AMD might finally challenge Intel for the throne, but they've had big product launch problems before when releasing entirely new archetecture, while Intel may focus efforts on putting to market a stop-gap competitor to the x3900 this November to keep customers happy until the launch of a true 10th generation Intel core next year.
Daniel
CplDaniel

Post by CplDaniel »

PC shopping hasn't felt this exciting since Pentium3/Athlon days!!
Daniel
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

In that case, I side with CplDaniel - wait and read the reviews, something good may be coming out.

Remember, though, that the IMPORTANT factor is the CPU's clock speed, not the number of cores, as P3D still is basically a single-threaded application.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
skmcconnell361

Post by skmcconnell361 »

I did research the Intel I7 8700k and found that by going with the Ryzen 7 I can also get a CPU cooler and 16 gig ram for the same price. Also, I have other games that recommend the AMD chipset over Intel chips.
CplDaniel

Post by CplDaniel »

skmcconnell361 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:39 pm I did research the Intel I7 8700k and found that by going with the Ryzen 7 I can also get a CPU cooler and 16 gig ram for the same price. Also, I have other games that recommend the AMD chipset over Intel chips.
Which model Ryzen7, and RAM Speed, and Mother board combo did you get?
Also, once you finish and get P3d up and running the way you like it with your new system, can you please come back to the forum to post your results for us? The P3d hardware community is so small, we need all the sample hardware data we can get.
Daniel
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

So, what clock speeds can you achieve with the 8700K and Ryzen 7, respectively? Remember that, FSX- and P3D-wise at least, Intel CPUs are more efficient at processing instructions per clock cycle.

And how would you weigh the importance of P3D and your "other games"? Not to mention the budget aspect....

No one can make the decision for you, but as you hopefully will be keeping the resulting system for quite a while, some thought at this decision point is worth the effort.

Good luck -

Jorgen

BLB

Post by BLB »

Hello my I7 3770 turn at 4Ghz see 4.2 with no probleme.
Core I7 3770, GTX 970 : http://fran-avia-virt.clicforum.fr
N697DT

Post by N697DT »

I currently have an i7-2660 @3.4 GHz, Nvidia 1050 Ti GPU, and 12 Gb Ram. I'm looking to upgrade to the i7-8700@3.2 GHz, turbo 4.6 GHz. Specifically, this one: https://www.portatech.com/products/prod ... 74&o=92334. I'm wondering if this one would be any faster than my current setup. From what I understand, P3D v4 still uses mainly one CPU core, so I don't know if this would be faster. I don't really want to get into overclocking and I don't understand how the turbo 4.6 GHz kicks in on the i7-8700. I don't think I need the 8700k from what I understand. I do have a lot of the common add-ons and am wanting to be able to fly into the larger metro areas without my FPS crashing. Is this a good choice for a price of $384? Thanks for your help!
downscc

Post by downscc »

P3D uses all cores, and somewhere around v4.2 or later they made improvements to the workload scheduler. You will see core 0 loaded often to the maximum but that is the way it is designed.

My current build is the 8700K at 4.8 GHz OC, the performance improvement from the 4790K was noticeable.

The stock turbo 4.6 GHz is managed by the CPU. It increases and decreases it's clock automatically. One can turn the turbo option on and off with most motherboards in the UEFI or BIOS.
Dan Downs
KCRP
skmcconnell361

Post by skmcconnell361 »

JorgenSA wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:45 am So, what clock speeds can you achieve with the 8700K and Ryzen 7, respectively? Remember that, FSX- and P3D-wise at least, Intel CPUs are more efficient at processing instructions per clock cycle.

And how would you weigh the importance of P3D and your "other games"? Not to mention the budget aspect....

No one can make the decision for you, but as you hopefully will be keeping the resulting system for quite a while, some thought at this decision point is worth the effort.

Good luck -

Jorgen
Can't speak for the Intel side but with the Ryzen, 2700x speeds can range from 3.7 to 4.2 GHz. I settled in at 3.9 GHz, the CPU temps began to rise at 4.0 GHz. 4.0 was pushing the upper limit of the temp range For the CPU while 3.9 was still in the middle of temp range. My ram was also upgraded from DDR3 2500MHz to DDR4 3000MHz 32 Gig

I agree on a single core Intel is more efficient, however, my experience AMD is better at sharing the load across multiple cores. My intel computer maxes out core 0 and1 before using core 2 or 3 and core 3 rarely gets used. on my three AMD machines, The load is spread more evenly across all cores from the beginning.

I have found the X-Plane 11 taxes the CPU more than P3D so I use X-Plane to judge performance. I went from 15 to 20 fps on the old CPU to 60 to 100+ on the new CPU with the same graphics card.