Lockeed Martin what did you do with version 4.5

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
ryanair007

Lockeed Martin what did you do with version 4.5

Post by ryanair007 »

So i have a b737 sim with a 3 screen setup since i updated to 4.5 the sim is a mess .
I did a clean install of p3d 4.5 hotfix include .

I run 3 x asus vg248qe screens in 144hz mode . ( there is no 30 htz mode on these gaming screens ) .

On p3d 4.4 had the target framrate set to 32 fps and always mainted it even with heavy airports and weather. very smooth no ysync or triple buffering . My screens where as smooth as silk .

Since i move to 4.5 its a total mess . if you lock your frames you have severe stuttering and lag . If you put unlimited then its smooth but the sim cant keep up in heavy scenerys or weather . Somthing must of changed in the software its self .
i can not you the 30 htz trick as my monitors no not support it .
So i try 50 htz , vsync and fps unlimited and the sim is smooth again.
Now we all know that its inpossible to keep 50 fps on p3d .

So i rolled back to 4.4 and surprise surprise averything back to normal target fps 32 and stable .

So i would like some one from p3d to tell me what to to or what they changed . because for me p3d 4.5 is unflyable .

Thanks for your help in advance .

Best regards

Marco .
JorgenSA

Re: Lockeed Martin what did you do with version 4.5

Post by JorgenSA »

For what was changed, look to where L-M posted the news about v. 4.5 and the v. 4.5 hotfix.

That is L-M's official standpoint, and you are not going to get anything else.

Also notice this, taken from L-M's General Debugging Steps:

"1) Update Prepar3D to the newest available version. Support will not be provided for legacy versions."

So, by rolling back to v. 4.4, you have in effect cut yourself off from support.

In order to fix your issues, you need to read and follow the debugging steps, found here:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=123246

Then you need to write an error report as outlined.

Note that add-ons cover both hardware and software, so in order to troubleshoot you will also need to start out with only one monitor and work your way from there.

You may not like this, but that is how it is. Without you going through the necessary steps, you are not going to get anywhere.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
ryanair007

Post by ryanair007 »

Thanks for the repley . All this has been done already . Rolled back to 4.4 and the problem is solved . many people that uses 3 sceen suffer the same problem worse befoure the hotfix so they defenetley screwed up somwhere unfortunatley for me .

There is no error report as the is no error something must of changed in the coresim its self. I Rolled back tu 4.4 because 4.5 is unflyable for me and for some other users using 3 screens for visuals .

Best regards

Marco
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hi Marco,

Are you seeing a performance difference when using full screen vs windowed mode? Are you using a view group? If not does that improve fps for you? Also do you have UIHardwareAcceleration enabled in your config? Another thing to try as well is disabling full screen optimization by right clicking the Prepar3D icon and going into compatibility settings.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
ryanair007

Post by ryanair007 »

Ok thanks for the repley .
I wil follow the steps tha you suggest.
I will come back to you with some resaluts .
Thank you for your help .

Best regards

Marco
Rob McCarthy wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 3:34 am Hi Marco,

Are you seeing a performance difference when using full screen vs windowed mode? Are you using a view group? If not does that improve fps for you? Also do you have UIHardwareAcceleration enabled in your config? Another thing to try as well is disabling full screen optimization by right clicking the Prepar3D icon and going into compatibility settings.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
ryanair007

Post by ryanair007 »

Rob McCarthy wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 3:34 am Hi Marco,

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
So just came back from vacation , did all you suggested no differance .
for some reason you cannot block fps at 30 or 32 like on 4.4 and have a smooth sim .
You acivate the limmiter and you have massive stutters.
i cannot use the 30 htz trick as my screen only support from 60 to 144htz like all pro gamer screens.
Have you modified something with the fps limitar that there are so many heavy stutters ?

I cannot put the fps lim at unlimited and vsync and matinatin a constant 60 fps . 30 fps is the sweetspot.
I tried this experiment with 4 diffrent screen in the sim same result.

Performance wise no diffrence lost about 10 -15 fps with 3 screens .
With one screen i am over 100 fps

I have 2 x gtx 1080
I7 7700k 5htz

Never had this problem befour updating to 4.5 ( with hotfix )
ducaud

Post by ducaud »

Hello,
I am experiencing a similar issue with V 4.5. As different than Marco, I was able to set my monitors using Nvidea Control Panel at 30Hz.
I am getting the smoothest experience that can be had using unlimited frames and Vsync.
Problem is that at some larger airports, EGLL, EHAM, EDDF the frames falls below 30 and the tearing and ghosting is unbelievable. This is also after having reduced most of the graphics settings to normal levels. I am also, while flying, getting pauses of 15 to 20 seconds. I never experienced this using 4.4 at much higher settings. I have made no software or hardware additions. Just the move to 4.5
I might not have the newest processor. (I7-4790 clocked at 5.7), but I have a decent graphics card (GE Force 1080Ti 11Gb) and 32 GB of DDR RAM.
My loading times increased by four times what it used to be with version 4.4.
With 4.4. most of the processing was done by Core 0 it was always at the top of the scale.
I was told at Flightsim Expo 2019 in Orlando, that the upgrade to 4.5 was going to change that, as the new version distributed the load more evenly among the cores. That is why I upgraded to 4.5. As it turns out, I see the load being more evenly distributed among the cores, but only while Prepar3D is loading, as soon as its ready it goes back to the same patterns as before.
Is there any light on what could be happening?
Thanks

Juan
CplDaniel

Post by CplDaniel »

+Juan -- Did you try turning off multi-threading in you mother-board BIOS already?? No matter what the official word is these days, tons of people on both AMD + Intel systems report better performance, like night & day levels problem solved improvement by turning the multi-threading off.
Daniel
downscc

Post by downscc »

CplDaniel wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:40 pm +Juan -- Did you try turning off multi-threading in you mother-board BIOS already?? No matter what the official word is these days, tons of people on both AMD + Intel systems report better performance, like night & day levels problem solved improvement by turning the multi-threading off.
Agree, this could be related. I have very smooth animation at all times with frame rate lock at 24 fps on a 4K TV with high resolution textures. HT off. Only issue is the long running problem P3D has loading scenery objects accompanied by long frames but this is unrelated to stuttering or frame rate issues.
Dan Downs
KCRP
CplDaniel

Post by CplDaniel »

downscc wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:58 pm Agree, this could be related. I have very smooth animation at all times with frame rate lock at 24 fps on a 4K TV with high resolution textures. HT off. Only issue is the long running problem P3D has loading scenery objects accompanied by long frames but this is unrelated to stuttering or frame rate issues.
For loading scenery, P3d is also the only program I've encountered in recent memory where users have reported that they made a system memory speed upgrade (like going from DDR-2000 having been replaced with DDR-3400 RAM), saying that its performance noticeably improved allowing the program to become much more enjoyable & immersive of an experience.

Depending on your current hardware setup: RAM prices have been dropping, and if you get a couple 16gb sticks of PC-3400 CAS-16 (<--16ms or lower) for about $99 **see below** per stick, you might have a good reason to expect a better experience with less loading stutters killing your sim immersion experience.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(**Note: maybe on a lucky sale as low as $79 just make sure you get CAS14-16 because CAS 18,19 are Trash binned silicon wafers at these DDR4 speeds so they always try to offload them cheap to people who go home and wonder why their system is under-performing later)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Note: In the past most memory bandwidth increases were achieved at the cost of longer signal-timing ratios, like 100mhz bandwidth took 1ms timing, but to achieve 1,000 mhz memory bandwidth took 10ms time, which tended to balance out any benefit of higher bandwidth unless you were comparing the user experience across systems with higher CPU core-counts vs lower core-counts. Like the difference between DDR3-1333 and DDR-2200 might not be noticeable on the same 2 or 4 core system, but the 2400 would be a vastly better experience on a 6 or 8-core system)
Daniel
downscc

Post by downscc »

CplDaniel wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:41 pm For loading scenery, P3d is also the only program I've encountered in recent memory where users have reported that they made a system memory speed upgrade (like going from DDR-2000 having been replaced with DDR-3400 RAM), saying that its performance noticeably improved allowing the program to become much more enjoyable & immersive of an experience.
I've got the Corsair DDR4 3600MHz sticks so I'm good. Using Process Explorer I've noted that long frames while loading scenery objects is accompanied by reduced CPU loading and increased I/O and I read that Orbx found an issue with scenery object loading in P3D when they developed their Orlando City Scape product. According to them, the P3D code wastes a lot of time rescanning libraries for each object or something along that line. LM claimed in the v4.5 update that they solved a problem with loading scenery objects but I don't think they have.
Dan Downs
KCRP
ducaud

Post by ducaud »

Thanks Daniel and Dan for your replies. I have tried both with Hyper-treading both ON and OFF , and I have not much of an improvement. I will check to see the speed of my memory. I know I have 32GB of DDR3, but I do not know the speed I will check it when I get home.
Thanks and Regards

Juan
ducaud

Post by ducaud »

This is a video of the issue I am experiencing.
This is at UK2000 EGKK.
The frames are smooth as long as I am facing away from the terminal. As soon as the terminal comes into view the stuttering is unbelievable.

https://youtu.be/JHEFmQr5GzQ

Juan
CplDaniel

Post by CplDaniel »

ducaud wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:21 pm This is a video of the issue I am experiencing.
This is at UK2000 EGKK.
The frames are smooth as long as I am facing away from the terminal. As soon as the terminal comes into view the stuttering is unbelievable.

https://youtu.be/JHEFmQr5GzQ

Juan
In system BIOS on startup, check to confirm XMP is enabled on your RAM settings in BIOS. If it's enabled, great. If not enabled, then turn on XMP in bios and that should fix what you describe
Daniel
downscc

Post by downscc »

ducaud wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:21 pm This is a video of the issue I am experiencing.
This is at UK2000 EGKK.
Juan
I'm not watching your video, but I have noticed that with UK2000 airports I must decrease shadow settings to mid-range to avoid excessive long frames.
Dan Downs
KCRP