Scenery cfg

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
DaveJM

Scenery cfg

Post by DaveJM »

Hi all

I am not sure if this is the correct forum for my questions, but can somebody tell me why there are three Scenery.cfg files in P3D and that the number of items and their order in the cfg is different in each case?

There is one in the actual Prepare3D folder on my C Drive C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepare3d, another in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepare3D and a third in C:\Users\Owner\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepare3d.

The reason that I ask is that I have screwed up my UK sceneries by playing with different meshes. Now I no longer have any airports showing, default as well as add ons.

I have Orbx True Earth South installed and have tried disabling this both through the library and by changing the entry in the cfg file to FALSE, but when I load up the sim, the True earth Scenery is still showing, I can’t seem to deactivate it.

I realise that it is something to do with the priority order that the mesh is situated within the cfg, it’s probably something quite simple but I don’t want to have to do a complete re-install as I have hundreds of add ons. However, I am at a bit of a loss. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
gegenschein

Re: Scenery cfg

Post by gegenschein »

I'm far from an expert, but every time I've dealt with scenery.cfg, it was to delete it so it could be regenerated. Perhaps it would be safe to make a backup of all of the files, delete them, and reintroduce them gradually until it either works right or one of them breaks things.

But I'd certainly hold out for a second opinion if you're facing re-installation of hundreds of add-ons if something goes really wrong.
DaveJM

Post by DaveJM »

Yes thanks, I have ascertained that the pertinent Scenery cfg is the one in the Program Data folder, the other two, apparently, are irrelevent. I will take a copy as a back up and remove all accept the base sceneries and add the others back in ten at a time, reloading the sim until I hit the problem #processofeleminination
downscc

Post by downscc »

The scenery.cfg files located in places other than programdata are there to provide compatibility with older versions. Developers following the SDK will no longer be adding scenery via any of them but rather using the add-on xml method provided by the SDK.

Mesh layers will probably remain in the scenery.cfg file because it is a straight forward way to enforce that they be 'below' other scenery. My Pilots mesh is located above the base layers (1107 Base) and below all else.
Dan Downs
KCRP
DaveJM

Post by DaveJM »

Ok, thanks Dan.