V4.5 : what happened to Locked framerate ?

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Saldo

V4.5 : what happened to Locked framerate ?

Post by Saldo »

With V4.5 Locked framerate causes the main thread core to have a 100% load.
Even with all settings to the left + Locked at 10 fps is loaded to the max.

At Avsim there is a thread about this and others who checked this have the same issue.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5545 ... framerate/

Is this a bug ? No issues with V4.4 and Locked franerate.

Regards , Gerard
downscc

Re: V4.5 : what happened to Locked framerate ?

Post by downscc »

I wouldn't look for technical advice on P3D in the AVSIM forum... there are a few very knowledgeable folks there much smarter than I but many many more not so much.

My core 0 has always ran at 100% without much correlation to frame rate, locked or otherwise. I do normally lock at 24 fps and it is right now 100% in 4.5, as it was in earlier versions.

One of the LM developers has explained in this forum that P3D does this by design. They use core 0 for terrain textures among other things and the program will use all the clock cycles it has available. This is one reason they don't recommend the use of HT because that effectively cuts in half the number of clock cycles available in core 0.
Dan Downs
KCRP
Saldo

Post by Saldo »

Hi Dan,

The main thread should normally never be at 100% load as that will introducé (micro)stutters when a larger AG / object batch file has to be loaded.
Therefore the advice is always to keep it at 60-90% so there is some headroom left. You set it by using the sliders so it will match your pc.

The terrain cores are other cores than the main thread core.
bpieke

Post by bpieke »

I just checked, and although I normally fly with fps set to Unlimited, if I set fps to 30 in P3D and turn on vsync, the main Core drops to about 60%.. Without vsync, it is at 90+..
Saldo

Post by Saldo »

bpieke wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:40 am I just checked, and although I normally fly with fps set to Unlimited, if I set fps to 30 in P3D and turn on vsync, the main Core drops to about 60%.. Without vsync, it is at 90+..
Did you do a fresh V4.5 install as myself and others with the issue have updated the cliënt to 4.5 and later installed the HF ?
bpieke

Post by bpieke »

I upgraded the Client only, from V4.4. to V4.5. to V4.5HF.

In my experience, scenery loading pauses in Orbx land are unavoidable, no matter what the settings.

I fly multiplayer, and everyone in the group has the exact same pauses at the same locations. Only disabling all scenery that is not being used, improves this behavior, as best I know.
downscc

Post by downscc »

Saldo wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:25 pm Hi Dan,

The main thread should normally never be at 100% load as that will introducé (micro)stutters when a larger AG / object batch file has to be loaded.
Therefore the advice is always to keep it at 60-90% so there is some headroom left. You set it by using the sliders so it will match your pc.

The terrain cores are other cores than the main thread core.
I disagree with your assertion that microstutters are an issue with 100% core 0 utilization. LM has said here that they purposely run core0 full on, of course it is possible to limit the loading as with the vsync example above, but it is designed to move tasks to other cores especially scenery object loading.

If you have a technical reference that backs you up then I'd be interested. I would not accept your own personal observations unless you have the technical credentials to back you up.
Dan Downs
KCRP
Mace_RB

Post by Mace_RB »

downscc wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 4:54 pm I disagree with your assertion that microstutters are an issue with 100% core 0 utilization. LM has said here that they purposely run core0 full on, of course it is possible to limit the loading as with the vsync example above, but it is designed to move tasks to other cores especially scenery object loading.

If you have a technical reference that backs you up then I'd be interested. I would not accept your own personal observations unless you have the technical credentials to back you up.
Dan -- I'd suggest looking at Steve Waites (SteveW) threads/research which date from the time 4.4 came out.

Now, it could be that 4.5 is behaving entirely differently. That seems to be the norm anyway, as new marks of P3D come out.