Frame issues in Prepar3D v4.5

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
asustech

Re: Frame issues in Prepar3D v4.5

Post by asustech »

I TO HAVE GONE BACK TO 4.4 FRAME RATE WAS TERRIBLE IN 4.5, I USE ALL ORBX PRODUCTS AND ACTIVE SKY , hopefully a fix will appear soon.
rwcatherall

Post by rwcatherall »

No issues here. However had to do a clean install and reinstall all my ORBX scenery etc.
Tried updating the Client etc first but it corrupted my scenery files so had to resort to a clean install.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

rwcatherall wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:30 pm No issues here. However had to do a clean install and reinstall all my ORBX scenery etc.
Tried updating the Client etc first but it corrupted my scenery files so had to resort to a clean install.
That is good news.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

FSGRW (Flight Sim Global Real Weather) released their P3Dv4.5 Update.
I am still ok with FPS running FSGRW at KSFO for my setup.

Note:
After ActiveSky comes out of Beta Testing I will install and test P3Dv4.5 with it.
Best Regards,
rfelger88

Post by rfelger88 »

Martyson wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:25 pm FSGRW (Flight Sim Global Real Weather) released their P3Dv4.5 Update.

Note:
After ActiveSky comes out of Beta Testing I will install and test P3Dv4.5 with it.
Do you have your cloud shadows enabled?
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

rfelger88 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:28 pm
Martyson wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:25 pm FSGRW (Flight Sim Global Real Weather) released their P3Dv4.5 Update.

Note:
Do you have your cloud shadows enabled?
Check mark on "cloud shadows Cast on my setup.

If you are having problems with settings you could:
Take screenshots of all settings for a future reference.
Then uncheck and min sliders on everything for a test.
If ok.
Start moving sliders and checking boxes again keeping track of results.

I am still testing P3Dv4.5 at the moment but all ok for me so far.
Best Regards,
paulyg123

Post by paulyg123 »

I just did a Client Upgrade to 4.5 and actually noticed a increase in framerates. 70 fps at level flight PMDG 777 - cockpit view.
sma69

Post by sma69 »

Rob Ainscough wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:21 am I was able to confirm the drop in FPS and have reported my testing details to LM.
this is the best thing for the whole people here. thank you Rob
mwa05

Post by mwa05 »

What I have found given I have all Orbx Global and Regional packages is that the issue seems to be object call related.

4.4 for me (30hz 4K monitor, i7-6700K, GTX1080ti, 32GB RAM, Windows 10) was smooth in the vast majority of situations, even Aerosoft EGLL with the FSLabs A320.

With 4.5 the best I can get in the same scenario is 19FPS which is unusable given it is so far below the 30hz monitor refresh rate.

What I have discovered is unticking the FTX Scenery folder for the region (leaving the 3 other folders for the region active), the issue disappears.

Thus that narrowed down the issue.

I then took all the .bgl’s out of the FTX Scenery folder, reactivated it and then added the files in bit by bit.

What I found is if I remove the individual airport object files (in FTX England there was 181 XXXX.object.bgl files where XXXX is the aerodrome i.e. EGBD) then the FPS are back to 4.4 levels. It is only the airport object file, not the other (two) files... your airport is still there, it just does not have the custom objects.

This issue seems only to exist using FTX England, the two Germany’s and Southern California and removing their XXXX.object.bgl files (to a safe place) eliminates the issue.

If you have UK2000 EGKK and FTX England, start up at stand 559 in the PMDG 737 or FSLabs A329/320 and you won’t get greater than 19FPS in the VC but if you scan right in the VC (away from the terminal, looking south, FPS return to normal).

Now remove the files to a safe place and repeat, there is no problem, so my hint as a place to look is the object draw. Something changed from 4.4 to 4.5.

Regards,

Mark
MattS

Post by MattS »

I had this strange feeling during my first 2 flights in 4.5, like the computer was sluggish. Everything seemed laggy and unimpressive, as if my CPU was choking. My cruise FPS was too low, which was my first indication. After disabling all my add-ons the situation didn’t improve much. I didn’t even think it was a result of 4.5. I just figured it was time for a fresh start, and I even looked into making a switch to that other sim, thinking that P3D had run out of steam. Then I looked at this forum and found that I wasn’t the only one. I reverted my client back to 4.4 (I left 4.5 content in place), and I’m glad I did. I gained back 16fps that I didn’t really realize that I had lost. Now I’m back to respectable performance and a really enjoyable experience.
keenrw

Post by keenrw »

mwa05 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:12 am What I have found given I have all Orbx Global and Regional packages is that the issue seems to be object call related.

4.4 for me (30hz 4K monitor, i7-6700K, GTX1080ti, 32GB RAM, Windows 10) was smooth in the vast majority of situations, even Aerosoft EGLL with the FSLabs A320.

With 4.5 the best I can get in the same scenario is 19FPS which is unusable given it is so far below the 30hz monitor refresh rate.

What I have discovered is unticking the FTX Scenery folder for the region (leaving the 3 other folders for the region active), the issue disappears.

Thus that narrowed down the issue.

I then took all the .bgl’s out of the FTX Scenery folder, reactivated it and then added the files in bit by bit.

What I found is if I remove the individual airport object files (in FTX England there was 181 XXXX.object.bgl files where XXXX is the aerodrome i.e. EGBD) then the FPS are back to 4.4 levels. It is only the airport object file, not the other (two) files... your airport is still there, it just does not have the custom objects.

This issue seems only to exist using FTX England, the two Germany’s and Southern California and removing their XXXX.object.bgl files (to a safe place) eliminates the issue.

If you have UK2000 EGKK and FTX England, start up at stand 559 in the PMDG 737 or FSLabs A329/320 and you won’t get greater than 19FPS in the VC but if you scan right in the VC (away from the terminal, looking south, FPS return to normal).

Now remove the files to a safe place and repeat, there is no problem, so my hint as a place to look is the object draw. Something changed from 4.4 to 4.5.

Regards,

Mark
Thanks for that but the trouble is i dont use any Orbix stuff so it cant really be connected to Orbix .. today i reinstalled 4.5 just to see the FPS issue and its the same as before ... P3D v4.4 just UK2000 EGLL 09L IFLY 747 a great 31 FPS locked at 31 .. with autogen sliders for Buildings and trees maxed but the draw distance was set to Medium no Orbix.
with 4.5 same settings as above i saw 22-25 fps .... i hope LM track this down and dont say its to be expected with the added features .. i cant afford to loose the extra FPS and they should be left for V5 and fix other stuff with V4.4+
Thanks
Rich
mwa05

Post by mwa05 »

I’m not saying FTX / Orbx is the issue, only that it highlights the issue. My suggestion is that it is an object draw issue, that has come about in 4.5.

As Rob said, if you use 30hz refresh rate and moderate settings, you may not be aware there is an issue with default, which he has highlighted.

I would have said there is no issue with 4.5 as I had not flown at that point in area where it would effect my performance (had only flown in Australia since installing 4.5 and even in the most populated areas of the country, does not have the object draw of say London).

When Rob posted his results with FTX Germany, I went and had a look...

Cheers,

Mark
Alan_A

Post by Alan_A »

ORBX does seem to be an aggravating issue in my case. Today, for reasons other than 4.5 testing, I swapped out an ORBX Global freeware airport, and substituted a user-created work-in-progress version. Performance improved notably, to the point where I was able to move my vegetation slider back to "very dense," which is where I'd had it in 4.4. Not perfect - frames were still lower than in 4.5. But much better than with the ORBX airport, and smoother even when frames were lower. Noted for whatever it's worth.
hjmx

Post by hjmx »

My observation:

FPS loss occurs predominantly in areas with high/detailed scenery objects (not autogen). A "good" example are ORBX regions in which more detailed scenery (airports) are in close distance.

In this case I observe about 30-40% fps decrease, depending on "Scenery Complexity" settings. It is also very dependent on view direction (when distant scenery comes into play). All other settings in the "World" section of the GUI don't have much impact on my performance.

In former versions (4.4, 4.3, ...) I had my Scenery Complexity settings always at "Extremely Dense" or one notch below. This worked for me in every situation/each place. Now (4.5) I get about 30% less fps at the very same situation in high detailed areas (e.g. FTX PNW + FTX airports).

Regards, Harry

P3D4.5 (client+content+scenery) coming from 4.4 in full accordance of Poppets recommendations.
Win10 (latest build)
i7 7820 (8 cores @ 4.9-4.7 GHz), 32 GB RAM (3467 MB)
RTX 2800Ti (11 GB VRAM). Display 3440x2160 (ultrawide monitor)
System and P3D are installed on separate SSDs.
Rasterfahnder

Post by Rasterfahnder »

Got my frames back in v4.5!

It is kind of strange but maybe it works for some one with fps lose like me. Just a hypothesis and probably a false positive. Unticking the "Black-out Desktop" and changing graphics settings maybe causing this problem.
I did now several tests with 4.4 and 4.5 and had that issue with low frames and sometimes autogen popins, black airport textures, even with vanilla settings ( by vanilla I mean the standard settings after deleting the p3d.cfg). I could not get persistent results until yesterday. Since yesterday I only updated from 4.3 to 4.4 and after that to 4.5 with client, content and scenery update.
In some occasions after updating to 4.5 again, I got the same frames as in 4.4 (maybe 5 frames less, hard to tell) for one flight. After that it deteriorated and stayed that way, even when I changed the settings back or deleted the p3d.cfg. I uninstalled 4.5 client. Installed 4.4, tested, uninstalled the 4.4 client and reinstalled 4.5. Did that nearly a dozen times. The only thing that was constant was when ever I unticked "Black-out Desktop" I had one or two test flights without autogen or frame issues.

Encouraged by that I wiped p3d completely. Used the fullinstaller and did not touch the "Black-out Desktop" option.

1. Installed 4.5 after wipe and restart
2. Started p3d and started vanilla and default flight
3. Ended p3d and restarted the PC
4. Started p3d and now gradually adjusting the settings
5. Locked frames at 50 fps in p3d

On my test track KFHR to KRNT on runway 50 fps and no significant drop under 40 on approach.

Latest: Windows 10 ultimate updates, latest nvidia driver, "disable fullscreen optimization" and "run as admin" in the compatibility tab active. 1080 gtx, speedtrees off

The "Black-out Desktop" does not black out the desktop every time. Some times it does after moving the scenery selection window. Before the reinstall I always unticked the blackout function and I guess most of the multiscreen users did so too.

Tomorrow I have a day off and will try to brake it again.