Prepar3DV4 will not Launch

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
ianbqld

Prepar3DV4 will not Launch

Post by ianbqld »

I have been away for a week and on returning today started up Windows 10 and noticed Nvidia and Chase Plane did auto updates on startup. Now I am unable to start up Prepar3D v4. I downloaded and installed the latest version of prepar3D V4.4.16.27077 but still nothing the program won't launch.

Everything was working fine before I went away. Any ideas?
ianbqld

Re: Prepar3DV4 will not Launch

Post by ianbqld »

Hi Folks,

I came across the response from Poppet offering 4 possible fixes.

Step I was done.
Step 2 - Delete generated files in the Prepar3D V4 folder.

On starting up the Prepar3d app I was asked if I want to enable scenery files. I clicked yes and it commences and quickly reaches 98% then seems to stall. However, the cursor turns when I hover over it. After waiting for 1.5 hours I quit the app.

Am I on the right track and should just leave it, say, overnight because there are a lot of files to load or something is still wrong here? Thanks for you help.
Brady Butler
Lockheed Martin

Post by Brady Butler »

Hello ianbqld,

Loading for 1.5 hours is definitely not normal. Have you tried running through the general debugging steps? It's likely an add-on is causing the hang-up.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=123246

Regards,
Brady
Brady Butler
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
ianbqld

Post by ianbqld »

Hi Bradly,

Unfortunately, that is a dead link. If you can point me to the working link I would appreciate it, thanks.

Yes, it is likely to be an add on. It could be Chase Plane as that was updating at startup.
ianbqld

Post by ianbqld »

Actually, I am wondering if it is a scenery add on because this is where things hang. Updates scenery quickly until it hits 98% then stops. So if you can help point me to debugging I can try and identify which of the add ons is causing the problem. Cheers.
Brady Butler
Lockheed Martin

Post by Brady Butler »

My apologies, the link is the right one now.

Regards,
Brady
Brady Butler
Prepar3D® Software Engineer
ianbqld

Post by ianbqld »

Hi Brady,

I have followed many of the debug steps. I now try to load directly from the exe file inside P3DV4 and I get this during start up "Generating scenery files indexes" but it stops at 76%. Previously it stopped at 98%. Seems there is a glitch in scenery files.

Would these be the files that are specific to P3DV4 or 3rd party add ons?

Is there a work around for this?

Appreciate your advice. Thanks.
Guggibob

Post by Guggibob »

Hello,
after half a dozen times of installing and reinstalling Prepar3d and all the lovely addons, I found out for myself, that it is important, to start P3d with a standard airplane. If it is started as in my case with the PMDG 737 NGX, it will crash to desktop and only run as background process. If you already have an addon airplane installed as default, simply delete or rename scenery.cfg, start P3d new and set standard airplane (F22 for example) as default. After closing and restarting
the sim it should work accurately.
ianbqld

Post by ianbqld »

Hi,

That doesn't seem to be the problem because I have not asked P3DV4 to use an add on plane as default. I always choose after the P3DV4 loads.

If I try to start from the exe file in P3DV4 folder it loads up to 89% scenery files before stopping.

Opening from the desktop is loads to 76% and then stops loading.

I deleted the scenery.cfg and now it won't load scenery from the desktop but will do the same routine from the exe file in the P3DV4 folder. That is, load up to 98% then stop. So I am guessing there is a glitch in one of my scenery files but how to find the culprit. Is there a log somewhere or I have to delete and then install one by one?

Or another troubleshooting method or a complete reinstall?

BTW P3DV3 loads fine. It is also located on the same computer but a different drive.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Hello ianbqld

Have you tried removing the Add On folders inside the Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder in your Documents location ?

Click and Move each of these folders to your desktop until the Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder is empty, Then launch Prepar3D and test

Documents ► Prepar3D v4 Add-ons

---

Also you could try uninstalling and reinstalling the Client and Content Installer through the Windows control panel

Try that and let us know how you get on
ianbqld

Post by ianbqld »

Hi Elaine,

I tried your suggestion with moving the Add Ons but that didn't work.

So I uninstalled the client and content through the Windows control panel.

Do I now reinstall from the original exe file? In my case, I have V4.416.27077 or the previous version which is V4.3.29.25520 or V4.1.7.22841?