Sound Issue with P3D 4.4

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
VHOJT

Re: Sound Issue with P3D 4.4

Post by VHOJT »

I have noticed this, and also that some of the sounds do not come back after a view change (low rumble in the PMDG 747), until you cycle the "Q" key.
KevinKaessmann

Post by KevinKaessmann »

sound settings configured for 16 bit and changing it to 24 bit
Some time ago, I measured a higher CPU usage if I set the soundcard to 24bit (DVD quality).
But it may depend on the environment: Win 7 with native Windows drivers - as the newer Realtek drivers didn't expose two independent audio channels (one for the environment and one for the ATC) on my H97 board.

I think, the reason I got an increased CPU load of 5-10% while playing sounds results from the windows mixer converting 16bit audio of P3D to 24bit output of the internal soundchip.

But as I said, it may depend on my hardware configuration.
skyhawk18

Post by skyhawk18 »

Adding "time_constant=0" to the [sound] section solved the issue.
Gunnar van der Meeren
P3D v4.5/v5/Win10/ASUS Z67 I7 2600K 4.4 GHz (OC)/32GB DDR3 1600MHZ/500GB SSD/2x1TB SSD (P3D v4 and v5 on separate drives)/msi GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
Ph_737NG

Post by Ph_737NG »

Hello,

I am also having issues with sound. Although mine is not just spoiling noises. I’ve noticed when changing views (even when engines are off) I end up hearing the engine sounds. Then it gets stuck that way and the only way to make the sound stop is to turn sound off and back on again. (Hitting “Q”).
Officer25

Post by Officer25 »

Because creating a script that simply toggles the sound system off and on again in a very short period of time any time view is switched, about 35 milliseconds, resolves the problem, I believe the solution on LM's end should be to automatically restart the sound engine any time the view is switched. This resolves many issues users experience with engine sounds and view switching.

The script I have created is limited in the sense that key presses have to be at least a few milliseconds apart to register. 35 milliseconds is already so quick it's practically indiscernible, but imagine if lockheed martin implemented this solution so that the game automatically did this without instruction from a keyboard and was limited in only how fast it takes to restart the sound engine. I am imagining it is probably within the single digits of milliseconds. This is absolutely not perceivable and in fact many games already use this strategy if you keep an ear out when switching views.
tsak

Post by tsak »

ironcondor wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:43 pm I am not sure if this related to what I am experiencing. Sound tends to hiccup on the sim causing a stutter. Thoughts?
I also have this. 3 - 5 times per hour.