p3d v4.4 FPS

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
maca11

Re: p3d v4.4 FPS

Post by maca11 »

Hi, many thanks
indeed, the reason for initiation of this thread was to find out if there is any significant change in the program.
It is not about if 30 or 20 or 25 FPS is enough.
My problem is thar it is now cca 2-3 FPS lower than before and more fluctuation of FPS. This itself makes stutters.

If answer is YES, there are changes which can make my system is not enough to cope with and I need to change sliders down to keep same performance as I used to have in v 4.3. then OK and I know the situation.
My question was also if others observe the same..
many thanks to all!
JM
Senchay

Post by Senchay »

Like mentioned, i do but very infrequent. Its actually better in some places. The whole locking thing seems to act different now. It was before very seldom that i could not reach my 30 fps lock. As mentioned, if then on very hard airports like KJFK, CYYZ, maybe KSFO when inside orbx regional scenery. But now i nearly have to do this. If i lock i dont get to the 30 fps lock easy anymore. even with reduced settings.

On some airports... when its better on others. Like said, me too would like to know exactly what changed. I tweaked to the point i was more than happy with my sim for near a year now and suddenly its all gone....
P3D 5.3, I7700K, 2080 RTX, 16GB Ram, Asus Prime Z270K, Win 10
Active Addons: ActiveSky, Skyforce Env Textures, Envshade, GSX, UtLive
Wise87

Post by Wise87 »

Maca11
I was seeing something similar as you. I run the same video, monitor, 30hz, etc. I updated the client and content to 4.4 and I noticed lower frame rates and the sim seemed more sluggish. In 4.3 my sim ran silky smooth. Now granted I am not running the latest version of Windows 10. I'm like two versions behind and I'm not running the latest Nvidia drivers. The reason for not running the latest is simple, why mess with it when the sim is runnning great. I had to run system restore in safe mode to go back to 4.3. Now my sim is running smooth again. I think the way to go with 4.4 is to do a clean install of the OS and Win 10. Also running the latest video drivers may help. I'm hesitant right now because wipe and loading is a lot of work and the outcome is unknown.
Gabe777

Post by Gabe777 »

P3D is going same way as FSX went.

More graphical niceties, without a concomitant increase in core rendering performance.

Expect framerate performance to gradually get worse as time goes on.

PBR, massive photoscenery resolutions, increase distance for scenery draw .... crikey Moses.... what do you expect ?

Much of this stuff is probably hidden in the cfg file.... so you are possibly running at higher settings, without knowing it.
tecmerc

Post by tecmerc »

I am experiencing frame rates of 12 to 15fps and changing the resolution seems to have no effect whatsoever. I have tried the lowest of 1024x768 to the highest of 7680x4320. I am currently set at 3840x2160. Almost nothing I do changes the fps significantly. My gpu is the new nvidia 2080ti -ultra (417.22), yes i went big thinking it would fix things. huge mistake evidently. CPU is the i7-5960x overclocked to 4.6 gz, windows 10 64 bit 1803 build 17134.407, 64gb ram. hard drives are all Samsung ssd 850 pros and all simulator software is on a separate drive. All directories are excluded from the antivirus to speed up loading In the simulator. Nothing on my computer gets anywhere close to 100% my cpu is at possibly 20% and the gpu is maybe at 30% and occasionally spikes now and then to 60% I have the following graphic settings in the p3dv4:
FXAA on
AA 4xMSAA
texture filtering anisotropic 4x
texture resolution 1024x1024
wide-view Aspect Ratio on
software and Addons:
Prepar3D_v4_Academic_4.4.16.27077
Ultimate traffic live (1.1.0.0)
Active sky for p3dv4 with update
PMDG 747-8QOTSII (and base package) Expansion P3D
logitec flight yoke system and drivers (8.0.150.0)
Orbx, possibly what killed the whole thing:
FTX Global BASE pack
FTX Global openLC North America
FTX Global Lights Configurator
FTX VECTOR
NA Northern California
NA Southern California
When I am at LAX, where I am trying to start, it's a 12 fps choppy mess. I have tried playing with anti aliasing on both the nvidia settings and the simulator settings, and it gets prettier but the frame rate stays the same. I changed traffic and tessellation, mesh distance nothing changes. What else can I throw at this thing to get 30fps? Do I need to remove Orbx? Maybe a pact with some evil aircraft god perhaps. Any help is greatly anticipated and graciously appreciated. Thanks for reading my exasperated ramblings. btw don't buy the 2080ti its weirdly not that good at rendering oddly enough.
IanHarr

Post by IanHarr »

I have a medium system and have found exactly the same: FPS is considerably lower and smoothness ( my main concern) is a bit compromised. Obviously the more concentrated ( read. complicated) the scenery, the worse it is.
What is very noticable however, is that the quality of the display is far better and sharper. The rendering of scenery is a vast improvement. This, I would suggest, is where the decreased FPS stems from.
Ian Harrison
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Tecmerc,

One possible hardware bottleneck in your system may be the RAM. You say you have 64 GB, but what speed is it?

On my own system, I have an Asus Z170-A motherboard. I gained a substantial increase in overall system performance when I updated the BIOS on the motherboard. My current RAM is 2133 MHz, but I plan on upgrading it to at least 3200 MHz, or faster if there is some out there compatible with this motherboard.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
refields

Post by refields »

@patful - Thanks! I’ll look into that!

@JorgenSA - Those of us who fly in VR definitely chase frame rates. It can make a huge difference in realism and comfort. And you are definitely right about fast memory. In CPU-limited, memory-intensive apps like P3D, fast memory can make a big difference.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Personally, I don't care too much for frame rates, but more about the smoothness in the sim.

Yesterday, I applied the ASUS ASuite 3.3's overclocking, taking my i7-7700K from 4.2 to 4.6 GHz. This resulted in a much smoother P3D, over New York City with Drzwiecki Design's NY sceneries installed. I have no doubt that the frame rate went up a couple of notches, but how the smoothness improved was really impressive.

Now, this was with 2133 MHz DDR4 RAM and a nVidia GTX 960 graphics card. I am looking forward to see how this will look with the faster RAM, and, when my budget allows, a better graphics card.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Hippo

Post by Hippo »

JorgenSA

The frame rate in movie theatres is 24 FPS, on TV in the so-called PAL system it is 25 FPS, and in the NTSC system it is 30 FPS.

The frame-rate chasers that want more than 30 FPS are deluding themselves, apply a frame rate limiter and go for a smooth experience - which is what it is all about.

(...)it is a simulation of reality - and that is totally different.
Sorry, can't help myself.

Bear in mind that while watching TV or the cinema, what's on the screen doesn't have to change as move your head (e.g. Track IR, VR, etc). IIRC directors have to employ all sorts of tricks for fast camera pans, etc.

For VR oculus specify 90fps as ideal, with 45 fps they have to employ trickery and magic. Personally, if using Track IR I don't think 30 fps is good enough for fast head movement.

Your argument (sort of) holds if you are flying with a fixed 2D cockpit - but who does that nowadays?

I do think you're absolutely right that having a consistent frame rate matched to refresh is very important.

Also, your argument does rather fall over in that is very easy to distinguish between 30 and 60 fps. At least in my reality.
BLB

Post by BLB »

20 fps is enough in my opinion
Core I7 3770, GTX 970 : http://fran-avia-virt.clicforum.fr
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

I fly a fixed 2D cockpit, and 30 FPS and smooth scenery makes me happy.

Jorgen

MattS

Post by MattS »

tecmerc wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:33 am I am experiencing frame rates of 12 to 15fps and changing the resolution seems to have no effect whatsoever. I have tried the lowest of 1024x768 to the highest of 7680x4320. I am currently set at 3840x2160. Almost nothing I do changes the fps significantly. My gpu is the new nvidia 2080ti -ultra (417.22), yes i went big thinking it would fix things. huge mistake evidently. CPU is the i7-5960x overclocked to 4.6 gz, windows 10 64 bit 1803 build 17134.407, 64gb ram. hard drives are all Samsung ssd 850 pros and all simulator software is on a separate drive. All directories are excluded from the antivirus to speed up loading In the simulator. Nothing on my computer gets anywhere close to 100% my cpu is at possibly 20% and the gpu is maybe at 30% and occasionally spikes now and then to 60% I have the following graphic settings in the p3dv4:
FXAA on
AA 4xMSAA
texture filtering anisotropic 4x
texture resolution 1024x1024
wide-view Aspect Ratio on
software and Addons:
Prepar3D_v4_Academic_4.4.16.27077
Ultimate traffic live (1.1.0.0)
Active sky for p3dv4 with update
PMDG 747-8QOTSII (and base package) Expansion P3D
logitec flight yoke system and drivers (8.0.150.0)
Orbx, possibly what killed the whole thing:
FTX Global BASE pack
FTX Global openLC North America
FTX Global Lights Configurator
FTX VECTOR
NA Northern California
NA Southern California
When I am at LAX, where I am trying to start, it's a 12 fps choppy mess. I have tried playing with anti aliasing on both the nvidia settings and the simulator settings, and it gets prettier but the frame rate stays the same. I changed traffic and tessellation, mesh distance nothing changes. What else can I throw at this thing to get 30fps? Do I need to remove Orbx? Maybe a pact with some evil aircraft god perhaps. Any help is greatly anticipated and graciously appreciated. Thanks for reading my exasperated ramblings. btw don't buy the 2080ti its weirdly not that good at rendering oddly enough.
ORBX NA Southern California is a real heavy hitter, especially at LAX. Other than turning a lot of the features off in the ORBX config, there's not much you can do. Getting a smooth 30fps here is a great day. 30fps is attainable, but it will be chop suey.